• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

You know I would love to be able to see what life is like in the PMQ's at Borden, or ANYWHERE for that matter  :skull:

pfl said:
You know I would love to be able to see what life is like in the PMQ's at Borden, or ANYWHERE for that matter  :skull:

Taking a look here is a start.  On the left, look at Housing Locations.

Thanks for the link, I actually saw those sites quite some time ago, but they do have allot of important info on them for other people interested  :salute: I still want to see pictures of what the housing is like though. Like a real estate listing type thing

Maybe some folks who live in the Qs (Borden in particular) will be nice enough to snap some pics and send them your way?  I can get some of the Shearwater upper and lower base but...that won't matter to you.

Eye In The Sky said:
It didn't used to be that way.  If your kids didn't qualify as a dependent under the CF definition, they would not be listed on your MPRR as a dependent and you were not entitled to a PMQ.

I was refused a PMQ at 2 bases (YZX and YQQ) because, although i have joint custody of my kids, they are not with me the majority of the time ( ex is listed as primary caregiver on divorce papers).

Yes, my kids are on my MPRR as dependants.......

While in the process of applying for mine, the people at CFHA emailed me photos of the interior and exterior of a housing unit with the same layout (not the actual house) Perhaps they will do that for you there if you ask. (I didn't) Or if you know someone who can drive down and snap some pics.

CDN Aviator said:
I was refused a PMQ at 2 bases (YZX and YQQ) because, although i have joint custody of my kids, they are not with me the majority of the time ( ex is listed as primary caregiver on divorce papers).

And THAT is exactly what the "Family of One" ruling was intended to prevent.

CDN Aviator said:

That must have been under the 'old' rules, and the Qs must have been full?

Zip said:
Sorry, with Pte Recruits earning $30,000/year and Cpl/Mcpl earning $50,000 a year why the hell should DND provide ANY accommodations?  The private sector will provide what it is in their best interests to provide.  As long as DND undercuts private rentals then there will be a shortage of private rentals.  And an offshoot of a private system is that there will probably be more jobs for dependants.

DND does not undercut private rentals anymore. PMQ rentals are set based on the local comparable rents.  When DND did undercut I doubt it caused a shortage of private rentals, I would even guess that it actually would have worked the opposite and made a surplus of private rentals. Now as far as depending on the local private sector - if I had to do that I would either be living in my car or at best in a rat invested hole costing $500 more a month. Neither one is very appealing with a family - I prefer my baby not to sleep with the rats and 6 sleeping in a car is cramped.

For those that are going to jump on the "you say PMQ rental set based on local rents then say it would cost $500 more" the PMQ is set on the rents in the area, the $500 more rat hole is in another part of town that has jacked rent to take advantage of immigrants, people without a perfect credit history and/or people with large families unable to get into other places.

You are right that the private sector will provide what is in their best interest - not DNDs. Do you really think that if you were to say we are closing Shearwater Q's that there would be a sudden influx of houses/apartments in the area? I would wager that instead you would see every landlord in Halifax jacking the rent up in prep for all the military mbrs looking for places and the price of housing to jump as people figure they can take advantage of the sudden influx of buyers. Although I was not involved in the Shannon Park shut down I was told by some I knew living there that this is the way it appeared to them - rent and purchase prices went up as closer day got closer.

Can't see one way whatsoever that a private system computes into jobs for dependants.

I know in Kingston, there is not a huge demand for Q's. I think most live offsite these days.

They also sold off some "trailerpark -like" housing earlier in the year, which let some people live on the base and own the "home".

Maybe people didn't want to stay in the Q's here after their solution to the asbestos was to "board it up" in the attics. Who knows... but there are a lot of public servants living in the Q's as well - and my colleague just informed me she knows a girl who works at Timmies who was just approved a PMQ/RHU whatever they are called today.

Kingston also has the appartments, which are sort of larger than barracks, and smaller than a Q. Back in 97-98 (ish) they were is such dire need for Q's that they were kicking Reservists out of the Barracks and putting families with 2 children in the appartments. Times have certianly changed!

CountDC said:
You are right that the private sector will provide what is in their best interest - not DNDs. Do you really think that if you were to say we are closing Shearwater Q's that there would be a sudden influx of houses/apartments in the area? I would wager that instead you would see every landlord in Halifax jacking the rent up in prep for all the military mbrs looking for places and the price of housing to jump as people figure they can take advantage of the sudden influx of buyers. Although I was not involved in the Shannon Park shut down I was told by some I knew living there that this is the way it appeared to them - rent and purchase prices went up as closer day got closer.

Can't see one way whatsoever that a private system computes into jobs for dependants.
How can garbage like that be allowed to take place? Here in Quebec it is ILLEGAL to raise rents more than a slight percentage when a new tenant moves in. Only exceptions to the rule is if the place has been vacant for at least 1 year, and the landlord has to provide substantial proof of major renovations

pfl said:
How can garbage like that be allowed to take place? Here in Quebec it is ILLEGAL to raise rents more than a slight percentage when a new tenant moves in. Only exceptions to the rule is if the place has been vacant for at least 1 year, and the landlord has to provide substantial proof of major renovations

It is the same way in NS.  If the landlord is going to raise the rent (which there is a limit of what % he/she can per annum), the tenant must be given 3 months notice.  This is because the tenant is required to give a landlord 3 months notice of intent to vacate.  I know this is for people who are already in a lease, I am not 100% sure how it works if you are a new tenant.

Troops...if you want to talk about TPB, take it to Radio Chatter.

Back on topic.

The Army.ca Staff

I think the answer to the original question might be found here:

http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/052/details-eng.cfm?pid=27824

Project Description
(as posted in the Notice of Commencement)
The Canadian Forces Housing Agency-an Agency of the Department of National Defence-has declared 86 surplus row house married quarter units at CFB Petawawa. Using the 3R disposal approach, the project will encompass the removal of hazardous materials, deconstruction of the selected surplus units and removal of the building, foundations and walkways. Laterals will be capped at the curb stop or main. Excavations will be backfilled to grade and parking lots will be enlarged and fenced areas for refuse containers installed. The remainder of the property will be restored by seeding to match the surrounding area. A full Designated Substances Survey will be conducted for each individual unit as part of the project. This disposal project will reduce congestion for parking and snow clearing in the row house areas.

The Environmental assesment was done in 07 - looks like th "3R" part by defence contractors has begun.

3R : http://www.dcc-cdc.gc.ca/english/pr_deconstruction.html

Although it does look like they are fixing some up:
http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/052/details-eng.cfm?pid=25040

Project Description
(as posted in the Notice of Commencement)
As part of their Recapitalization Program, the Canadian Forces Housing Agency (CFHA) intends to renovate 21 housing units at CFB Petawawa. The units selected for rejuvenation comprise the following styles: 1A (2 units), 21/21R (3 units), JJ (10 units) and K/KK/KK54C (6 units). For styles 1A, 21, 21R, KK and two of the four KK54C units, the living space will be increased by approximately 20%. The other units will not have increases to existing living space. The foundations of some units will be excavated to add perimeter drains. Some water and sewer laterals will also be replaced. A full Designated Substances Survey will be conducted for each individual unit as part of the project. The units are sound and most units have had some life-cycle improvements. Currently, functional space in the units is limited and these retrofits will improve their suitability for CF families, bringing them to a contemporary and more efficient standard and extending their useful life. It is expected that major renovations to these units will reduce overall maintenance costs and extend their useful life by at least 20 years.

(the contract tender for these renovations closed July 10th)
http://www.dgmarket.com/eproc/np-notice.do?noticeId=2730938

CFHA reasoning :
http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/info/faq_mrd_e.asp#q3

specifically:
What is the Rationalization Program?

The Rationalization Program is a housing portfolio renewal program comprising disposals, renovation, demolition, new construction and new acquisition. It addresses both the size and the condition of the portfolio. Its goal is to develop and maintain a sustainable housing portfolio that meets the housing needs of CF families and is responsive to evolving and cyclical change.

How is CFHA determining which houses will be renovated and which ones will be demolished or sold?

Houses are identified for renovation or disposal on a site-by-site basis, with the goal of bettering quality of life while rightsizing the portfolio. Decisions are based on unit design, proximity to services, parking, traffic flows, existing infrastructure, and cost considerations.

How can you be sure that the houses being disposed will not be needed down the road?

CFHA performs a Housing Requirement Study to determine CF members’ housing needs at Bases and Wings across Canada. The Housing Requirement Study provides a long-term projection based on trends within the local real-estate market and the characteristics of the CF population at that site. Analysis takes into account changes to requirement that may occur because of anticipated changes in the markets or in the number of CF members being posted at a given site.

also:
http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/cfhahrp/backgrounder_e.asp

The "Dream" :
http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/info/pubs/accom2020-en.pdf

A Quote:
DND is committed to ensuring that CF members are
able to secure accommodation which is suitable to personal circumstances,
in a timely fashion and at any location where duty demands.
DND will pursue policies, plans and programs which encourage CF
members to secure accommodation in the private sector marketplace
in order to maximize freedom of choice. In those instances where the
private sector marketplace cannot meet the needs of the CF member,
DND will support Crown intervention.
DND Accommodation Policy — 14 June 1999
http://www.dnd.ca/qol/engraph/accom_policy_e.asp

Eye In The Sky said:
It is the same way in NS.  If the landlord is going to raise the rent (which there is a limit of what % he/she can per annum), the tenant must be given 3 months notice.  This is because the tenant is required to give a landlord 3 months notice of intent to vacate.  I know this is for people who are already in a lease, I am not 100% sure how it works if you are a new tenant.

According to the Nova Scotia Residential Tenancy Act http://www.canlii.org/ns/laws/sta/r1989c.401/20051216/whole.html (which many feel should be the Landlord Act) they must give 4 months notice of an increase and can only do it once in a 12 month period on a yearly lease. I had some dealing with them over a landlord a few years back and some things came out. A landlord can increase the rent on your unit without increasing the rent on everyones without justifying it to you.  If you want to fight the onus is on you to proof that it was done for a malicious reason such as trying to force you out because of your colour, religion, etc. That is also when I was reminded that there is no restriction on how much they can increase it. You can of course fight it with the board but again most consider the board in favour of the landlord not the tenant (myself I was happy with the board result I had). If the unit is empty or is going to become empty the landlord can set whatever price s/he wants for any new tenants. The % limit you refer to was removed when they brought out this act in 89 - I remember a lot of us were not happy when they took the cap off.

Hopefully with such a situation they will not be tearing down Q's in Shearwater next.

CountDC said:
Hopefully with such a situation they will not be tearing down Q's in Shearwater next.

I don't think so.  I know they are rebuilding a bunch on the lower side.  Not too sure about the upper Base  Q's

Adamant said:
I don't think so.  I know they are rebuilding a bunch on the lower side.  Not too sure about the upper Base  Q's

They have done some on the upper patch as well.

Hey, I'm interested in moving to the PMQ with my boyfriend, who's been in 1rcr for a little more than a year...can anybody tell me the application process, and wether or not there is a waiting list? I currently live 4 hours away from him, and neither of us can afford a downpayment on an actual home outside of base...

Any input is welcome! Thank you in advance
cheers

Back