• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Replaces "Arty-Sim-ed" Porta Pottie @ Gagetown

And I am a very kind, gentle, and forgiving chap as well.

This person was dealt with correctly. I personanlly don't think it was his intentions to do such a thing. He was instruted to fire it off at 2000hrs and he did. Just by luck, there was a Griffon flying around. Didn't hit it, thank god.

You did say "fire a paraflare like it was a RPG at a Griffon", implying intent, did you not...?

that is the way it sounded.

Wording - have to be careful how you say it.

I very recently (within a year) had a arty sim thrown into a seacan that was part of a village we were attacking.  It made for some exciting training to say the least.  I remember hearing it whistle and thinking "I might want to cover my ears now".  When it went off I thought the seacan roof and walls were going to blow off....  Quite the concussion.  Good times.

Would I as an instructor have thrown one in?  Probably not... the risk is kinda high.  However, I'm not one to get offended when such things are practiced on me.  It certainly adds an element of realism and danger.

Regardless of how you feel about this realism and danger, this is a prime example of pyrotechnics being misused. Inside a sea container is clearly a violation of training safety "Ground-burst simulators shall NOT be thrown within 15 m of personnel, and 100 m of material, equipment and vehicles." and "Do NOT use the ground-burst simulator in confined spaces such as buildings, vehicles, trenches or weapon pits because these confined areas dangerously increase the effect of the explosion."

Would you feel the same way about the realism if the whistle malfunctioned and you didn't realize that it was in the sea container and you were injured. Or what  if a lesser experienced soldier was present and didn't have the common sense or knowledge to seek cover. The permanent damage that can be done to ears, eyes, and the burns that can be received do not make this an acceptable practice. Having a soldier injured by any means in unacceptable, but by mishandling of ammunition makes it even worse and in the long run can cause the rest of the unit more strain when they have to take up the slack of the missing member. This is not realism, this is a violation of drill and training, and it is inexcusable.

willl said ammo. 

Then there is the resources used for both the criminal investigation and the BOI/SI that will happen.  See enough of the "stupid" category of those crossing my desk that cause a stiff neck from shaking the head so much.

DirtyDog said:
Would I as an instructor have thrown one in?  Probably not... the risk is kinda high.  However, I'm not one to get offended when such things are practiced on me.  It certainly adds an element of realism and danger.

Ya, safety is for loozers!  Man up, you sissies!

You are going to be the ultimate butts NCO on the mortar range!  Pro Patria!! 

Like I said, I wouldn't do it.  I'm sure it was a calculated risk and not as overly reckless as one might think.  It was at the other end seperated by a couple of rooms.

Anyway.... no harm.... no foul.....

DirtyDog said:
I'm sure it was a calculated risk and not as overly reckless as one might think.

I doubt that. Our position in a woodline in Germany was attacked by a JLC which was exercising in the same area one night. Three arty sims detonated beneath our fuel bowser. I doubt that any of those twits calculated much at all.

DirtyDog said:

There wasn't in the case described above, either, but there was plenty of potential for very spectacular, embarrassing, expensive, and deadly harm and foul.

Stupidity is no excuse for putting people's lives and well-being in jeopardy.

Like I said, I didn't get worked up about it then, I'm not about to now.

I didn't feel I was in danger at the time and it wasn't just a reckless throw.  Granted, detonating one within any kind of confined space is probably not advisable but the given the situation, the only real harm could have came from concussion/hearing damage.  But then, we should always be wearing ear pro which should mitigate some of that.

DirtyDog said:
Like I said, I wouldn't do it.  I'm sure it was a calculated risk and not as overly reckless as one might think.  It was at the other end seperated by a couple of rooms.

Cough...BS....

There is no room for such "Miscalculations". It was not a "Calculated risk" but a reckless act. What if you're hearing is shot in 10 years? If your hearing is  gone, then so are you. Right out of the CF.
You are excusing stupidity. What is The RCR Motto? Never pass a fault.....and you are.

Prior to 1990 figuring out new ways to mis-use pyrotechnics and similiar materials was pretty common.  Associated rules and regs were notional guidelines rather than standards of practice.  Of note, it wasnt a young ignorant privates like myself thinking up these ideas, it was usually senior exprienced corporals, masters-c's and sergeants teaching myself and others how to really do things improperly, like how to fire a flashbang from a C1 like an RPG.

I think the many conflicts the CF has been involved in since then have increased the awareness of most members so that these types of incidents arent as common as they used to be, but no doubt they still occur.

Although I must admit being guilty of allowing myself as a Sgt to be taught how to make and use an MRE 'canteen bomb' circa 2001.  All in the name of learning about field-based improvised weapons of course... 

Back