• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN Navy in support of US Navy

M

MAJOR_Baker

Just got back from Norfolk Naval base today. While I was walking around taking pictures of all the ships in port I noticed something rather peculiar. There were three pea green colored ships tied along side the pier. I was surprised, our Canadian allies were in an American port preparing to go out on a joint patrol with the George Washington Battle Group... I did get to talk to several CDN sailors, I asked about the Sea King Helicopters....got a couple of grins...no Sea Kings. :p

not all ships have the sea king on them and if they did they are only going to fly if its nessary

sorry you never mentioned what ship it was!

Patty, the only Navy ships that do not carry Sea Kings are our supply ships (though I think they are able to land them) and the MRCV‘s which are only for coastal work and wouldn‘t be joining a carrier battle group. The Tribal/Iroquois/DDH-280 class destroyers and the Halifax-class/FFH-330/Canadian Patrol Frigates both carry helos.

oh meh.. i‘m not much of a navy person anyways

Originally posted by Redeye:
[qb] Patty, the only Navy ships that do not carry Sea Kings are our supply ships (though I think they are able to land them) and the MRCV‘s which are only for coastal work and wouldn‘t be joining a carrier battle group. The Tribal/Iroquois/DDH-280 class destroyers and the Halifax-class/FFH-330/Canadian Patrol Frigates both carry helos. [/qb]
Redeye, I think you‘re confused on the supply ship thing. Each of our two supply ships can carry up to three embarked Sea Kings in their hangar. As a general rule, they usually get deployed with two embarked. The Tribals can carry two Sea Kings if need be, and the Halifaxes carry just the one.

Just thought I‘d wade in here... (no pun intended). Generally an Air Detatchment is assigned to most high readiness ships (IE going to the Gulf), however, in recent times, the operational tempo has had more than one ship in the Gulf at any one time... therefore, given the lack of available Sea Kings in the first place, they are given to ships on an as required basis. Additionally, the air force has been plagued by lack of personnel as well (the Air Dets have deployed with all the ships too, they need a break). TORONTO was sent without one because there were already TWO ships there with Air Dets.
Secondly, all Canadian Warships can do vertical replenishment with helos (including MCDV‘s). The Supply ships can refuel/rearm as can the FFH‘s and DDH‘s. Generally, the supply ships don‘t sail with an Air Det since the vast majority of the ships they will service have helicopter(s) embarked and can transfer stores by vertrep anyway. There just aren‘t enough Sea Kings to go around to use one or two as replenishment platforms... they are far better off used as Over The Horizon Targeting (OTHT) platforms, the pointy end in ASW ops or, most commonly to increase the radar range of the home plate ship.
Cheers!

Back