• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBC's "As It Happens" Starting A Feature On Afghanistan

Roy Harding

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Just heard a promo regarding this. 

The promo had LCol Lavoie describing his part in a TIC.  Apparently As It Happens (to which I listen religiously) is starting a series of some type regarding our troops in Afghanistan.  I don't know at which point in the show it'll be on, but As It Happens starts at 1830 on your local CBC One station.

Roy

Is that starting tonight? Another fan of "as it happens"

Yeah 9er had his neck out in a few TIC's, great CO though

Just listened to CBC "As it Happens" (Moncton-on internet), am now listening to the mother of MCpl Walsh talk about his friend being charged (Thunder Bay - Internt)....here's the link to the different stations

CBC Link

Heres some points from Col Thompson's interview:

184 casualties (KIA, WIA and non-combat injuries) from the 1 RCR tour.  From what I've heard thats about the same for the 1VP tour as well.

Afghan mission has made Army better, gave soldiers a clear view of what their profession really is and that their trg is relevant and proved that the Cdn Army operates at the highest level in the world.

Here is a LINK for the whole program broken up into three parts.

You need RealPlayer to listen though.

Cheers,

CAW

any one else try to listen to tonight's interviews on line, after the show?? I can get the first part of the broadcast, but I cant' get the second part.

:salute:

ladybugmabj said:
any one else try to listen to tonight's interviews on line, after the show?? I can get the first part of the broadcast, but I cant' get the second part.

:salute:

You're right - Parts 1 and 3 are fine, Part 2 seems to be blank.

I left a comment about it on their web form.  Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Roy

Some of the questions kinda rubbed me the wrong way, like when they asked Pte Larochelle how many Taliban he killed.  Typical for civies I guess, or at least CBC commies. 

Garett said:
Some of the questions kinda rubbed me the wrong way, like when they asked Pte Larochelle how many Taliban he killed.  Typical for civies I guess, or at least CBC commies. 

As much as I agree with your assessment of the CBC WRT television, and it's radio "Arts" shows - I disagree with it when it comes to "As It Happens".  I've been listening to As It Happens since at LEAST 1977 (the Barbara Frum/Alan Maitland days).  When I was first deployed overseas (long before the internet), I specifically bought a SW radio (not cheap at the time) so that I could listen to Radio Canada International and As It Happens.

Although I find that, at times, As It Happens can be somewhat "flip", I find that it's reporting is generally balanced.  Sometimes, because of time constraints, the "balance" happens over the course of two or three shows - but it's usually there.  Other shows of the same calibre are "The House" (0900 - 1000 Saturdays), "The Current" (0830 - 1000 hrs weekdays), "Ideas" (2100 - 2200 weekdays), and "The Sunday Edition" (0900 - 1200 Sundays), although "The Sunday Edition" is blatantly (and unapologetically) left leaning in it's philosophy - it still manages to be mostly balanced.

As far as the question to Pte Larochelle goes - you're right - it IS "typical for civvies"; just who do you think the majority of CBC's audience is?

Roy

I am really pissed I missed it and that it's not working on the site. I hope it was good MCpl Lebalnc is a good friend and I hope his segment went well.

Edit: Correction to my last, 2nd part of show with the interview is now up and running.

I'm impressed that Barbara Budd was willing to devote so much airtime to this, but I was a bit disappointed in one aspect of the show itself.  To me, telling your listeners that you're doing a piece on the defence of Strong Point Centre from October 2006 and then spending half the time speaking with the families of those killed is problematic.  It says that you can't address the operational reasons behind the fight, the quality of the job done by the soldiers when attacked, or the mission-oriented results of the fight.  It says that all you can understand, or hope that your listeners understand, are the emotional consequences and the casualties.

I'm not begrudging the attention given to the fallen, or to the grief of their family members, I simply wish our journalists could give some context to those sacrifices by reporting on the operational realities behind the fight out there.

The interview was well done, but I think that it was mostly the answers to the questions not the question themsleves that made it good.

Well Done to all invloved though only 1 of them comes here to see my well done LOL

A civvies review:

Excellent!  The military members sounded bright and articulate.
The job and can-do attitude shone through.
The particular mission sounded just and appropriate.
The Afghans interviewed said good stuff and it generally was an
excellent PR piece for what is supposed to be going on.
The villians of the piece were the Taliban and CIDA(not sure about the order).
The Senlis council critique was of course biased - the woman interviewed
claimed to know more than anyone else about what's going on.

Personally, I don't think you guys in green have anything to fear from Carol Off.
She was the Author of  Ghosts of the Medak Pocket.

If Canadians heard more of this stuff than the noise from peace groups and the
NDP (which usually has no basis in fact) then public opinion would change.

So I ask you (guys in green) Please be patient with civilians.
We just don't know because very few media, military and government are explaining it.

Back