• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAP (R) mods this summer (2005)

fumunda

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking for course dates for CAP(r) course this summer, preferably in Gagetown and has to be in MODs.
Thanks

I'm not sure the exact date, but it will be near the last week of May. The reg force serials start Feb 7th and ends April 29th, I beleive there is a 3 week gap (1 break, 2 weeks of Staff Indoc), before the summer serials kick off. The tasking block isn't out yet so I can't give u a definite date.

BTW, this summer, they are combining reg force and res on the CAP courses.. supposed to be somewhere from 8 to 10 platoons..

Ty
:cdn:

The unmodularized CAP(R) starts 16 May 05 in Gagetown.  The only modularized CAP(R) I could locate a reference to runs in Petawawa and starts in mid-July.

Greasyoldman, are you sure they're combining Reg and PRes candidates?  The course isn't the same anymore, like it was with Phase II and it was all combined - the reserve CAP is much shorter.

According to the SME of CAP at C-Coy in the Infantry school, the summer CAP courses are going to be combined from both Reg and Res.

Redeye said:
The unmodularized CAP(R) starts 16 May 05 in Gagetown.   The only modularized CAP(R) I could locate a reference to runs in Petawawa and starts in mid-July.

Greasyoldman, are you sure they're combining Reg and PRes candidates?   The course isn't the same anymore, like it was with Phase II and it was all combined - the reserve CAP is much shorter.

Speaking with my recruiting NCM, he did show me three back-to-back modularized CAP(R) courses starting in July (two weeks each).  I'll confirm dates next time I speak with him.

Greasyoldman said:
According to the SME of CAP at C-Coy in the Infantry school, the summer CAP courses are going to be combined from both Reg and Res.

You're quite correct - candidates who can make the commitment of time can take the Reg F CAP this summer, but there is also a CAP(R) serial running in Gagetown this summer.

Hi Redeye,

Interesting news there.  This must be a new development since I have been told categorically by several official sources that reg. force phase training was unavailble to reserve officers.

It's in a new CANLANDGEN issued in December that the Reserve Army Officer Training Plan will divide into two streams - one for those with "unlimited availability" for summer training - which will see them on the Reg F CAP, and one for those with "limited availability" which will use Reserve stream courses coupled with OJT to meet the same standard.

It is a very interesting development, just read it in the CANLANDGEN today.

Thats quite interesting. Which phases/areas will be covered for the reservists training with the regular force?

I don't think my BOR knows about this. Is the CANLANDGEN available somewhere?

Thanks,

Chris

chrisp1j said:
Thats quite interesting. Which phases/areas will be covered for the reservists training with the regular force?

I don't think my BOR knows about this. Is the CANLANDGEN available somewhere?

Thanks,

Chris

It's on the DIN.  I expect it would have been cascaded from LFDTS, and it would apply to CAP for sure, and I presume to classification training as well.  For "unlimited availability" officer cadets, apparently there are three summers planned - CAP, trade training, and then employment on courses.

Redeye said:
You're quite correct - candidates who can make the commitment of time can take the Reg F CAP this summer, but there is also a CAP(R) serial running in Gagetown this summer.

;D SWEEEEEEEET!!! ;D

This is almost enough to make me not mind how unreasonably long its taking to get me switched between components. It raises my hopes of seeing light at the end of the tunnel...

It's in a new CANLANDGEN issued in December that the Reserve Army Officer Training Plan will divide into two streams - one for those with "unlimited availability" for summer training - which will see them on the Reg F CAP, and one for those with "limited availability" which will use Reserve stream courses coupled with OJT to meet the same standard.

Thanks for the info Redeye, this must be what was meant when I heard that some form of MITCIP was coming back to the reserve world, cheers, mdh

mdh said:

Thanks for the info Redeye, this must be what was meant when I heard that some form of MITCIP was coming back to the reserve world, cheers, mdh

The most recent iteration of reserve officer training bore closer resemblance to MITCP than anything else, but the CANLANDGEN is quite clear that neither path in the new RAOTP is meant to be connected to the old RESO/MITCP scheme.  The idea is one standard rather than the "class system" that existed with RESO vs. MITCP officers.  The new scheme just allows unit-administered OJT to be used for certain POs.  We'll see what the results are.

It's something of interest to me because I blew out of RESO/BIOC Ph II with an ankle injury in 2001, then had a freakish bout of tendinitis when I returned for CAP(R) the following year.  I had to sit out an entire year of training while I waited to see if I'd be able to continue, and in the meantime finished university and got a civilian job.  The new RAOTP will help ensure that my courses will still be able to qualify me to top standard, when combined with my own initiative in getting trained within the unit.

Now that I'm getting keened up for course again, I'm glad to know I'm not getting cheated or shorted by some kind of watered down course.

Last night I was told that CAP-R is changing to 5 mods (total of 10 weeks).  For those who started CAP-R already, they can finish it under teh old system (of 3 mods).  For anyone who hasn't started CAP-R yet, we apparenlty have to do the 10 week version.

Hello PKaye,

Was this supposed to be a reg. force version of CAP Phase training? Or is there supposed to be another CAP-R stream for working folks like me who might have a touch of trouble getting a mere ten weeks off in succession? Thanks, mdh

I understand your concern... I'm also a working folk like you.
As of last week, I was under the beleif that I could do CAP-R in 5 weeks, and then do my engineer training in 8 weeks.  I had planned to do this over 3 summers.
The new system is a 10 week CAP, offered in 5 mods of 2 weeks, so working stiffs like us can do it over 2 or 3 summers.  My Engineer course has been increased from 8 weeks to 10 weeks.
I now have a total of 20 weeks of trainnig to do to get qualified, and it's now going to take me at least 4 years.

Thanks PKaye,

I appreciate the information - let me see, if the normal working guy gets about two weeks off (not unusual for more intense professions) to train per summer (and that's all he or she can get) that should take five years to get CAP-R out of the way.  I hate to ask what the MOC training has been increased to...

I'm fortunate in that I work for the Federal government, which is encouraged to give time off for reservists.
As for my wife giving me time off, on the other hand... lol.

At least you have the courage to ask,   ;D

In all seriousness though this might have implications for folks who dont' have that much flexibility - might be a dealbreaker for me, but I'll have to see what I can do - once again thanks for the info PKaye and lol, mdh

Wow.. if this is somethign that will stick around, it is definitely of interest to me.. how long is a REGF Cap course?

Im not a fan of not having equivalent training...

Back