• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian, U.S. soldiers compare armies

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Canadian, U.S. soldiers compare armies
By Seth Robson, Stars and Stripes European edition, Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Article Link

HOHENFELS, Germany — When Canadian soldiers deploy to Afghanistan they usually go for only six months and get a hefty bonus for being there.

That’s something U.S. soldiers, who recently had their deployment times cut from 15 to 12 months, were quick to discover during this month’s Cooperative Spirit exercise at Hohenfels’ Joint Multinational Readiness Center.

Comparing pay and service conditions is something soldiers from different armies usually do when they are involved in multinational operations. And this month’s exercise involving soldiers from the U.S., Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand was a good chance to do just that.

Canadian Cpl. Rob Hovey, 25, of Miramichi, New Brunswick, said, based on his conversations with U.S. soldiers, he believes his army has the best pay and conditions.

"I’ve talked to a few Americans," said Hovey, who got back from Afghanistan in August last year. "The sense I’ve got so far is that our terms of service and the benefits we get when we go overseas are better. My first time overseas I got $2,400 to $3,000 (Canadian dollars) a month."

Canadian dollars were trading slightly higher than U.S. dollars on Monday. But Hovey said he didn’t join the Army for the money.

"It was more of a family tradition," he said.
More on link

From the article,

Maj. Steve Noel, 37, of Saint John, Newfoundland, said his nation has been involved in the Afghan mission since 2001. Canadian forces were originally based in Kabul, but moved to Kandahar in 2004. Noel said he deployed there in 2006 as part of a Provincial Reconstruction Team.

Now I hope it is just a typo or reporting error but the Canadian Forces were originally based in Kandahar in 2002, not Kabul.

2 Cdo said:
Now I hope it is just a typo or reporting error but the Canadian Forces were originally based in Kandahar in 2002, not Kabul.

Not to mention, the "major" move to Kandahar occurred in 2005.

Now I'm confused (again)

If you were basesd in Kandahar in 2002, how could you move to Kandahar in 2005.  Were they moving around a lot in the early years?

Harley Sailor said:
Now I'm confused (again)

If you were basesd in Kandahar in 2002, how could you move to Kandahar in 2005.  Were they moving around a lot in the early years?

Yes, a single tour (rotation) in Kandahar in 2002. Then, after a few months, a whole new mission in Kabul then, in 2005, a redeployment to from Kabul to Kandahar.

Harley Sailor said:
Now I'm confused (again)

The first rotation in Kandahar was Feb 02-Jul 02 and there was no replacement. Canada then committed troops to the ISAF mission in Kabul in late 03 early 04. That mission was changed in 05 with the move of the Canadian troops to Kandahar. Clear as mud now? ;)

E.R. Campbell said:
Yes, a single tour (rotation) in Kandahar in 2002. Then, after a few months, a whole new mission in Kabul then, in 2005, a redeployment to from Kabul to Kandahar.

Did you guys not get the memo? The Liberal Government prior to this current conservative one banned all references, spoken or written, to that combat only mission in southern Afghanistan. Sendign Cdn soldiers to fight is against everything JC believed about his boy scouts with guns. Because of that, there is no corporate, media, nor civilian memory of that mission....

What mission?

2 Cdo said:
The first rotation in Kandahar was Feb 02-Jul 02 and there was no replacement. Canada then committed troops to the ISAF mission in Kabul in late 03 early 04. That mission was changed in 05 with the move of the Canadian troops to Kandahar. Clear as mud now? ;)

Although he is correct in stating 2001 as the start date. Well before the PPCLI deployed on that Feb-Jul 02 Roto ... SAL Det had already been deployed in sp of OEF. LRP and TAL Dets also deployed prior to the "roto" of PPCLI as well - even though a great many serving members, media and public believe that the PPCLI deployment to Khandahar in Feb 02 signifies our initial involvement, that is not the case.

And, while there was no replacement of the PPCLI Battle Group after Jul 02 - TAL & LRP Dets remained deployed throughout the entire period. LRP eventually being RED TAVed and returned to Canada in May/Jun 03.

And, let us not forget that the Navy was serving as part of Op Apollo before the initial BG deployed as well.

I believe the actual start date of Canadian involvment and of Canadian deployment was 08 Oct 2001 - the same date given as the start date for the Sacrifice Medal.

BulletMagnet said:
*Cough* The Hill *cough*

And who airlifted them?

That's a rhetorical question by the way. No requirement to answer.

No no Vern you got me wrong just adding to the list of people who may or may not have been in some place at some time, doing or not doing somethings....

BulletMagnet said:
No no Vern you got me wrong just adding to the list of people who may or may not have been in some place at some time, doing or not doing somethings....

Precisely why there's no need to answer.

LRP, SAL & TAL were deployed - as was the Navy - prior to Feb 02.

Besides Vern everyone knows The Hill doesn't fly into anywhere they simply appear out of the night/smoke/fog/mist/rain...and disappear in the same manner  ;)

And, now I'll fix my previous:

LRP - 27 Dec 01
TAL - 22 Jan 02
SAL - 16 Nov 01

October 8, 2001:
Minister Eggleton (I'm sure history will show that MND as having been a member of the Liberal party Cabinet ...  ;)) announced the first CF commitments under Op APOLLO, which involved about 2,000 CF members. Navy ships were the first CF units to participate in the campaign against terrorism, and they began deploying immediately.
<--- HMCS Halifax had already been serving in the region since Aug 01 and was re-tasked.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=490

So Canadian soldiers make more money then American soldiers. This is news? We've always made more money as far back as I can remember.

BulletMagnet said:
Besides Vern everyone knows The Hill doesn't fly into anywhere they simply appear out of the night/smoke/fog/mist/rain...and disappear in the same manner  ;)

That would cause some serious problems on a nav...

oh, wait....THE hill...

-Scott

BulletMagnet said:

Kinda like Col Flagg from MASH! 8)

The boys are back in town, sounds like it was a good exercise. I guess it was pretty intense training, one of the guys said every day of the Ex was like a really bad day in Afghanistan. The 'Afghan' villages were very well built and the OPFOR and role players did their jobs well. Sounds like a lot of good lessons to apply to our training here in Canada.

Back