• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces seem to be succeeding in large-scale recruiting

great_white

Inactive
Reaction score
CFLRS is tradionally held at St-Jean Que.  With the same course being offered at CFB Borden, and CFB Meaford, The CF will likely be able to graduate 3 times the recruits.
During a great time for the Canadian Forces we may see a significant rise in troop strength. I cant wait to look back a couple of years from now and look at the difference in the number of Canadian Forces Personel.   :cdn:

(also equipping em once they have been trained)

Well didnt they just approve some plan to get something like 30% of the troops that apply in wthin a week, so it would make sense that they speed up training too.

If thats the case, I'll close my file on Monday and reapply on Friday. Voila, I'm in before October...  :blotto:

kc

The subject line may need editing: I thought it was suggesting that heavy persons were being recruited into the CF

hehe.... +1 VG

there's another thread about how the CF has decided to recruit those marginal fattys to load em on "warrior platoons" to make lean, mean fightin machines :)

As Crantor said, keeping them is hard now, the new contract is a big reason we're losing guys in my unit

boondocksaint said:
As Crantor said, keeping them is hard now, the new contract is a big reason we're losing guys in my unit

What is the issue with the contracts?

25 year contract vice the 20 year contract

the biggee is that you cant collect your pension untill you're 65, unlike the 20yr contract which allows you to get it on completion,

so say I retire in 4 years, collect my pension, and get my next job, whatever it is it only needs to augment my pension, now a new soldier doing the 25 year plan retires at say 44ish if he/she joins young enough and still needs an entire second career before they can hope to see that pension

it's affected alot of our younger members in my unit, those that were'nt grandfathered to the old contract (even though they'd signed up on it) are getting out

even the Romans only did 20, if you were already a citizen, 25 if you were'nt then granted your citizenship

boondocksaint said:

the biggee is that you cant collect your pension untill you're 65, unlike the 20yr contract which allows you to get it on completion,

so say I retire in 4 years, collect my pension, and get my next job, whatever it is it only needs to augment my pension, now a new soldier doing the 25 year plan retires at say 44ish if he/she joins young enough and still needs an entire second career before they can hope to see that pension

it's affected alot of our younger members in my unit, those that were'nt grandfathered to the old contract (even though they'd signed up on it) are getting out

even the Romans only did 20, if you were already a citizen, 25 if you were'nt then granted your citizenship
Ouch, can't collect pension until age 65? I won't even live to 65...

Does anyone think they would lower the age to something more reasonable like 50 or 55, or should i start saving now?  :-\

Don't use the Romans as an example.  Yo!  Their Sailors also got a pension after 25 years, so most were fired after 24!

As far as saving, see the thread "The CF and Your Money."

thats not true ... u get your pension only if you have 20year of services ,, if u leave the army when u have 40year old and u have done 20 year in the army u get your full pension ...

Us3D,

you're wrong. The CF changed it's pension plan last year I believe it is now full pension after 25 years of service not 20.

*EDIT to be 25 not 26

No need to get snarky lad.

I was just correcting some misinformation your information was the old system and the most commonly known one, the new system will take longer to disseminate to the masses.

boondocksaint said:

Boondock,

Don't take this the wrong way, but that kind of uninformed statement is potentially damaging to the system and the individuals in question.  I am no pension expert but your statements on 25 vs 20 are wrong.  If people are quitting based on that kind of info, then the people providing this info need to shake their heads.  And spreading it based on what you may have heard isn't good either.  People will come to this site looking for info and will see this as well.

I am providing a link to the pension modernization site with the FAQ's and correct information.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cfpmp/engraph/faq_e.asp?sidesection=5#8

my bad, it's 60 not 65,

IF I read that link correctly ( and thats always in question ) it appears they can draw a pension after their 25 yr contract-

WHICH is not how it was explained in a plethora of briefings we attended ( sometime ago )- many of the folks giving the briefing admitted knowing little about the program except for the PP show they had for us, all I can say is that the common perception in my unit is the one I wrongly mentioned earlier

thanks for the info, and I'll be sure to pass it on to everyone I can who this is making the 'should I stay in' decision

Back