• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

This is not a how to do an aptitude test, I know how to do an aptitude test. this Is a board regarding the foresight that some one may be able to shed some light on.

I passed my aptitude test 2 week ago, and just completed my interview today which i did splendid on, everything was going smoothly until I was notified I didn't do well on my aptitude test but still passed.  :rage: now my question is can I still get hired if I do we'll on my physical and medical as I'm great at physical and hard demanding work but I'm not the smartest cookie in the tray.

I'm applying for infantry

Any and all responses are welcome and I genuinely appreciate all advice or possible stories that someone could inform me off, Merci.

Your application wouldn't still be processing if you didn't qualify for the trades you have selected.

You still have a possibility of getting hired for your trade(s), provided you did well enough on your aptitude to qualify you for that particular trade.

That being said, it ultimately comes down to how you stack up against your competition. All components combined will give you your individual 'applicant score.' If other applicants in the running for the same position have higher applicant scores than you, then they will have a better shot at job openings due to their higher placement on the merit list.

Like cbbmtt said, the CFAT (aptitude test) is merely a "determining" factor with respect to which trades you qualify for.  So as long as you have "met" any CFAT thresholds with regards to your occupation choices, you are okay.  If you didn't meet the requirements, you would have already been told!

django said:
I'm applying for infantry

Some discussions here you may find helpful.

CFAT infantry score 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/110464/post-1227847.html#msg1227847

thank you for all your replies, I was stressing just massively over this situation tell I read the comments and decided I can get into the infantry as long as I excel on my other tests and probably have nothing to worry aboot,  I also found good help in that link to alternative information regarding similar topics, and saw " it's basically impossible to mess up getting into the infantry"  :facepalm:

this site is great.

django said:
thank you for all your replies, I was stressing just massively over this situation tell I read the comments and decided I can get into the infantry as long as I excel on my other tests and probably have nothing to worry aboot,  I also found good help in that link to alternative information regarding similar topics, and saw " it's basically impossible to mess up getting into the infantry"  :facepalm:

this site is great.

Don't sell the infantry short. It's much more than marching and digging holes.

django said:
and saw " it's basically impossible to mess up getting into the infantry"  :facepalm:

I wouldn't jump to conclusions so fast..........You didn't say if your applying for "Regular Force" or "Reserve Force".

Nevertheless, CFAT scores are only one of MANY parts to the equation.

I would never sell infantry short, it's the hardest job to do I think personally which is why I chose it, it's going to make me the best I will ever become. I just thought I shouldn't stress it so much, I have a good educational background above high school, and a good background in martial arts. I'm sure I should have no problem.  I'm going regular force, and don't plan on leaving.

Well, suffice to say, my Aptitude Test is tomorrow (really excited and nervous), but I have a question. Say for example you apply for three trades (in my case: marine engineer, boatswain, and electrical technician), but you don't get high enough on your aptitude test. Will you be given three new trades that are closer to your results? Or do they just say sorry you didn't qualify? My step sister applied for three trades, never got them, but was offered another bunch. I'm not sure if she was a unique or it's normal.

From the FORCES.CA site:

CF APTITUDE TEST (CFAT)

The CFAT is used to select applicants for employment in the CF and to help determine specific military occupations for which you are best suited. In this regard the CFAT is an important component of the CF selection system.

At the organizational level, it is necessary to ensure that selection decisions are fair and equitable. Thus, testing is one of the few resources we have to compare candidates objectively and fairly using a single criterion. Fairness in this case is inherent in the fact that procedures have been standardized and that everyone is subject to the same challenge as all the other candidates, that is, to demonstrate his/her performance against a valid and/or pertinent selection standard. Consequently, the results obtained on the CFAT must be taken seriously and it must be considered an accurate and fair measurement of an individual’s cognitive skills performance.

FAILURE TO MEET THE CANADIAN FORCES APTITUDE TEST (CFAT) REQUIREMENTS

The aptitude test is one of many steps required to join the CF. If you are not successful in meeting the requirements the first time there is a re-test policy that may allow subsequent attempts, although a re-test is not automatically granted. The decision to authorize a re-test is based on evidence that the applicant has prepared to retake the test and on the probability that performance will improve. Applicant must successfully meet the CFAT requirements in order to be eligible for enrolment in the CF.

RE-WRITING THE CFAT

In order to be eligible to write the aptitude test a second time you must wait a minimum of three (3) months and then discuss with a Military Career Counsellor about your application and the steps you have taken to prepare for a re-test.

In order to be eligible to write the aptitude test a third time you will have to have successfully completed, since the last time you wrote the test, a substantial academic course related to the CFAT. You will be required to provide proof that you achieved a 69% average or better in Grade 10 level Math or English, depending on if areas to improve were the CFAT problem solving or verbal skills questions.  Once you can provide this documentation, you will meet with a Military Career Counsellor to discuss your application and the re-test policy.

TESTING ACCOMMODATIONS

The Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) is designed as a test of General Learning and Cognitive Ability. The three subtests reflect the most commonly-accepted components of the construct of Ability (Verbal, Spatial and Quantitative skills) as supported by theory and research on cognitive abilities and their relationship to work performance. The test was developed through a detailed and scientifically-rigorous process involving analysis of thousands of applicant responses on a large bank of similar test items taken from previous CF cognitive tests.

In measuring Cognitive Abilities, most tests use either "speed" or "power" approaches or a combination of both. A "speed" test uses very easy items that almost any adult could answer correctly with sufficient time; individual scores are based on speed of completion or number of items answered in a very short time limit. A pure "power" test involves difficult items that need either advanced knowledge or ability to answer; there is usually no time limit and individual ability scores are determined purely by number correct. The CFAT is the most common type of standardized cognitive/quantitative test; a combination of both speed and power.

During the CFAT, there is a time limit that forces respondents to work fast but makes it possible for most respondents in the target group to attempt 80% or more of the questions, with 30-80% of the target respondents answering each item correctly. Items for the test were selected on the basis of these sorts of statistics with previous CF applicant responses to the items on old tests. The appropriateness of each item (in terms of difficulty, applicant acceptability, fairness, and consistency of scoring amongst a variety of demographic groups) as well as the accuracy of the final overall test in selecting suitable applicants was then confirmed using new applicants. All research was done using test/item completion without any mechanical assistance, so the test time limit, Officer and NCM percentile scores, and all CF and occupation cut-off scores are based on test completion without a calculator.

Occasionally, CF Recruiting staffs receive requests from applicants for testing accommodations outside of normal testing procedures. Examples of such requests might include the use of a calculator, to have additional time, to have the questions read to them aloud, or to have a learning assistant present to assist them. Unfortunately, such requests are not possible for two reasons:
Altering the test administration for a specific candidate would make their percentile and the established cut-off scores (and comparisons with other applicants) invalid; and
Altering the test administration for all respondents would substantially change what is measured by the test and require complete revision of the test items, percentiles and time limits.

You will be respectively given a list of trades that you can chose from if you fail to achieve the cut-off/threshold for your chosen of trade.
I am not too sure about the re-test though; not sure if the recruiter or counsellor can veto your decision to retake it in 3 months.

nn1988 said:
From the FORCES.CA site:

You will be respectively given a list of trades that you can chose from if you fail to achieve the cut-off/threshold for your chosen of trade.
I am not too sure about the re-test though; not sure if the recruiter or counsellor can veto your decision to retake it in 3 months.

Thank you. At least I know I have a chance of join the Canadian Forces. Though, I am pretty confident in qualifying for those trades.

I'll let you guys know what I got offered after tomorrow. :)

Went to Peterborough today for my Aptitude test, and passed. However, I was one point off for two of the three trades I wanted. I didn't qualify for electrical technician and marine engineer, which sucks. But I did qualify for boatswain. I qualified for infantry and combat engineer (along with another dozen trades).

I'm extremely happy.

I wish everyone else who's in the application process good luck. :)

I don't think it's a problem. I have seen person who failed the test joined as infantry.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can "fail" the CFAT.  That being said, if your score very low, the trades available to you are extremely limited.

Infantry is one of the hardest trade to get into , trust me , REALLY BRILLIANT people join the infantry.  I wouldn't do it , honestly I have the up most respect to everyone who does that , I couldn't do it , I'm still joining the combat arms , not as an infantry.  These guy have some of the hardest physical jobs I've seen , they need to be very intelligent , fighting on a battle field is nothing but easy. 

Like most of the other guys said , If you did below average , but that pretty much everyone also did , well you shouldn't worry at all.  If you weren't qualified or fit for the trade , they would have already let you know.

Hi, so i got my date to go pass my TAFC and i only have 1 week to get ready ! i was reading about people having 2-3 months ! i'm afraid i'm not going to be fully prepared for the test and i might not get a god grade (or even fail) i did the "practice" test on the main website of the canadian forces but i feel like it's not going to be so easy ! i've been reading here that there are some math questions that look pretty damn hard to some people. i've always been ok in math but nothing special and we were always aloud a calculator and now on this test i will not. anyone know tips or websites that are good where  i can practice fast ! thanks ! (2 days before test and in desperate need of a little hand here)  :salute: :cdn:

Try taking a look at this link (assuming that you're referring to CFAT)

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0.html

My tip:

Get a good night sleep and try not to stress out too much. Also, if you're stuck on a question, move on and check on it later, time is of the essence.

Back