• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's purchase of the Leopard 2 MBT

geo said:
(maybe it's the driver that feels he deserves better pay - Pilot sounds much better thatn driver)
(Sanitary engineer VS Garbageman, Administrative assistant VS Secretary, etc VS etc)

Does that mean us "Sky Pilots" can get more pay too?? ;D

hard to tell from the photos but the turret bustle looks very big . . . maybe its a plan to do this:

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/ft-isaf-armour5.htm

CSA 105 said:
Just a small point, tanks don't have "pilots".  They have a Crew Commander, Loader, Gunner and Driver.

Isn't the media supposed to check its facts?  Perhaps a minor detail but an irritant. 

Sounds like another candidate for Dr K's and Mr J's "Stupidism of the Week:

http://www.drjandmrk.com/

Reporters (and editors) have a problem when it comes to using proper military terms. Last year there was an article where the reporter mentioned that after an attack a LAV-25 was so damaged that it had to be destroyed in place or "scuttled" as he/she described it. Or how about when a Canadian patrol is "strafed" by the Taliban.

Go figure.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
I thought one of the reason's we went with these was because they did have A/C?

You're opening a big can of worms here! Some higher ups did say we were getting the new tanks for the a/c but Leo 2A6's don't quite have that feature! Oh, and they also don't have plows/rollers which sucks because the Leo C2s were used extensively to breach grape fields/walls/etc.

MG

Mortar guy said:
You're opening a big can of worms here! Some higher ups did say we were getting the new tanks for the a/c but Leo 2A6's don't quite have that feature! Oh, and they also don't have plows/rollers which sucks because the Leo C2s were used extensively to breach grape fields/walls/etc.

MG

Don´t forget that this are just loaned tank´s. To incl. an A/C relative large modification´s are necessary.
Just compare the back of the turret of an danish A5DK (which has an A/C) with the normal A6M:
A6M: http://www.panzerbaer.de/types/pix/bw_kpz_leopard_2a6m-003i.jpg
A5 DK: http://www.panzerbaer.de/types/pix/dk_kpz_leopard_2_a5dk-005.jpg

With your own tank´s you can do anything you want, but not with our´s.
For example you could use this as your standard camo on your own tank´s:  ;D
- http://www.zwote-online.de/images/Kompanie/Milka_Pz_22.JPG

Regards,
ironduke57

If it comes with chocolates, I could handle it.  May be good in the winter, or in "Dairy country".  ;D

I suspect the ultimate solution to the internal heat problem which tank crews have to endure in Afghanistan will very much depend on which party is in government after the next election.  The Conservatives may want to install expensive cooling units, but I expect Canada's other national party will prefer a more fiscally responsible approach.

240px-Bergepanzer2.jpg

foo32 said:
I suspect the ultimate solution to the internal heat problem which tank crews have to endure in Afghanistan will very much depend on which party is in government after the next election.   The Conservatives may want to install expensive cooling units, but I expect Canada's other national party will prefer a more fiscally responsible approach.

240px-Bergepanzer2.jpg

???

The ARV ?

Which is for the purposes of humour a tank with the turret removed. ;D

Mortar guy said:

MG

Are they not going to be using the ones presently over there for that?

It would all depend if they were equiped with the correct mounting brackets or not.

Now here is an airconditioned Leo 1 C 1:

GAP - nope. They don't fit on the A6M and even if they did, the A6M doesn't have the hydraulic attachment necessary to operate the plow/roller (IIRC).

MG

So, for my general education, what are the Germans using for mine clearance and obs breaching?

Strikes me as odd that they'd up-armour to defeat most mines, but not have a means to plow a lane.

You would be surprised at how many nations do not have "anti-mine" equipment for their MBT's.  In fact there are very few that do.  Some have specialized Engineering equipment to deal with mines.  The majority of nations have nothing. 

George Wallace said:
The majority of nations have nothing. 

Rats are cheap

But a couple of questions here.
Does/did not the AFG have/had some of the soviet era equipped tank rollers/plows ?

As to MG
going backwards
- G-Wagons did not come with turrets
-"Rhino Tanks"-2nd Armored Division Sgt. Curtis Culin
- British 79th Armoured Division

edit: spelling

The Rollers and Plows we have were derived from the Soviets and improved upon by the Israelis and of course further modified by us Canadians as per norm.    ;D

Back