• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

I think… he’s suggesting the regiment be three elements. Each commanded by either a major or a Lt Col, he’s said both, under a Col, and that we have a LAV Bn and two light Bns. Which we’ve all discussed and explained the problems with in different threads.
Ah yes! The "III" regiment not the "II" regiment/battalion. With small battalions run by majors and ad hoc groups of battalions by staff LCols all under a Colonel.

Kind of reminds me of the 7th Cavalry Regiment of Big Horn Fame with ten companies each commanded by a captain and groups of companies put together into ad hoc battalions each commanded by a staff major.

:unsure:

Ah yes! The "III" regiment not the "II" regiment/battalion. With small battalions run by majors and ad hoc groups of battalions by staff LCols all under a Colonel.

Kind of reminds me of the 7th Cavalry Regiment of Big Horn Fame with ten companies each commanded by a captain and groups of companies put together into ad hoc battalions each commanded by a staff major.

:unsure:
Also the unit of "Lets leave the Gatling guns behind because they slow us down fame"

If anyone issues me a sabre or cutlass, it will never be left behind. Far too many cool points to be scored posing victorious on the field of battle with a sword at your hip.
I’ve always asked new lieutenants why they would spend money on a sword they can’t sharpen…

I’ve always asked new lieutenants why they would spend money on a sword they can’t sharpen…
Completely off the main topic, but if it's a Wilkinson sword it can be sharpened. They still make the blades to the same standard as they were made when the sword was actually used as a sidearm.

Also, related to that, even when the sword was a useful sidearm they were often left unsharpened until actually going to a theatre when it was likely the sword would be used. If someone served their entire career in the UK, France, Canada, etc., they might never have sharpened their sword for use.

Completely off the main topic, but if it's a Wilkinson sword it can be sharpened. They still make the blades to the same standard as they were made when the sword was actually used as a sidearm.

Also, related to that, even when the sword was a useful sidearm they were often left unsharpened until actually going to a theatre when it was likely the sword would be used. If someone served their entire career in the UK, France, Canada, etc., they might never have sharpened their sword for use.
Now I know

I would imagine putting a sharpened metal sword in a metal scabbard would play hell with the hone.
If you look closely at a sword scabbard, it is designed with brass guide at the top that should ensure that the cutting edge of the blade never touches any metal had enough to dull it.

If you look closely at a sword scabbard, it is designed with brass guide at the top that should ensure that the cutting edge of the blade never touches any metal had enough to dull it.
A close associate has almost a dozen swords. Some have(had) leather protectorants/collars at the top of the scabbard. Others have none at all.

I guess if you were going to stab someone, hone plays no role. You just need a somewhat pointy thingy.

Now I know
E5oWe1GXoAIHbVy.jpg

THAT is what every soldier needs - not only for stabbing people but cutting stuff.
Much better utility knives exist.

Honestly one of the best systems is the Benchmade 9050SBT AFO.
Yes it’s an automatic knife - but it’s been issued previously in the CAF. Very few folks need a large ‘Rambo’ knife, and the Commando Daggers are very inefficient cutting tools (beyond stabby stabby).
We have suppressed weapons these days - no need to get one’s hands dirty.

Back