• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brian Mulroney has died

While he may have been controversial at the time he did some pretty good things that will have lasting effects.

• Free trade with the US
  • elimination of acid rain
  • lead the charge on ending apartheid in South Africa
  • GST implementation

For better or worse (I think for the better) he left his mark on the Canadian psyche.

PM Mulroney was very much someone who rose above party politics, did what was necessary but not popular, and was genuinely willing to work for Canadians with anyone of any political stripe to move that ball down the field; even in his post political career.

They very much don't make them like Brian anymore, sadly. He will be missed.

To a Great man above all. To a great Statesman. RIP

We need more of his kind, on all political spectrum.

I’ll always cherish standing in parade in Victoria watching Norman Spector guide a seriously inebriated PM down the line and quickly out the door for what was either a heave or a cigar, or probably both. (Before he quit smoking).
You just can’t beat the mid- late 80’s, and he was the right PM for the times.

I’ll always cherish standing in parade in Victoria watching Norman Spector guide a seriously inebriated PM down the line and quickly out the door for what was either a heave or a cigar, or probably both. (Before he quit smoking).
You just can’t beat the mid- late 80’s, and he was the right PM for the times.

Notable also because I'm pretty sure he was the last Quebecer leading the Conservative Party, which can be a winning combination at the polls for a PM hopeful from any party...

Agreed. There simply hasn't been a leader like Mulroney in the PC since ... nor in any other Federal party, save perhaps gentleman Jack Layton (whether you agree with his politics or not).
Agreed. Layton, like Mulroney, were issues-based politicians; "what is best for the country may not be coming from the mouth of my party" kind of statesmen.

The current crop are quick to cut their nose to spite their face if it means getting the upper hand on the Government/Opposition; despite everyone supposedly being on "Team Canada".

Will be interesting to see his eulogies. He provided a heartfelt peak statesmen eulogy for Ronald Reagan; I wish him one of similar caliber.

Edit to add link to Mulroney’s eulogy for Reagan. A master class in statesmanship and friendship:

Tres bon!

Brian Mulroney, the last conservative prime minister to taste major victory in Quebec​

Ask Brian Mulroney's chief political rival about the former prime minister's greatest success, and he will say the answer runs through Quebec.

OTTAWA — Ask Brian Mulroney's chief political rival about the former prime minister's greatest success, and he will say the answer runs through Quebec.

Jean Chrétien cites Mulroney's 1984 breakthrough, when the Progressive Conservatives won the largest majority in Canadian history and captured 58 of Quebec's 75 seats.

Mulroney, who died Thursday at 84, knew he had achieved something remarkable when he took the stage the night of his election victory.

He promised a "new day for Quebec" and reflected on his decision not to run for the Nova Scotia riding he had secured in a 1983 byelection.

Addressing the crowd in languid French, the fully bilingual Mulroney said he entered Quebec politics "from the front door" in his home riding.

The room erupted in applause.

Mulroney was a son of Quebec, Chrétien said — but an anglophone, which put him in the minority.

Born in the smelting town of Baie-Comeau on Quebec's North Shore, he was the first Quebecer to lead the Progressive Conservatives in the 20th century. Quebec's flag was lowered Friday to mark his death.

No conservative leader since then has come close to winning over Quebecers: the modern-day party has never managed to win more than the 12 seats it took in 2015.

Will be interesting to see his eulogies. He provided a heartfelt peak statesmen eulogy for Ronald Reagan; I wish him one of similar caliber.

Edit to add link to Mulroney’s eulogy for Reagan. A master class in statesmanship and friendship:
I have a hard time envisioning our more recent crop, at home or abroad, capable of giving, or worthy of receiving, similar eloquence.

The last politician I can think of with real oratory chops is Obama.
He was very good. I cannot recall anyone else with those skills, and today's crop leave a lot to be desired.

FDR was good - mind you I have only heard snippets of his stuff. I can remember Nixon being OK, Reagan not too bad either. Jimmy Carter was OK too.

Chretien we used to make fun of.

Back