• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best time

oldpond

Inactive
Reaction score
I ran my best time on the weekend: 5.3 km in 32:36.  My goal is to get it to 25 minutes eventually, but in the short term I would like to get it under 30.  I've been running regularly now for just about 2 years.  I go every second day to give my body time to rest.  I used to go every day to take advantage of good conditions, but I found I would end up taking 2-3 days off now and then out of sheer exhaustion.  I was doing weights on a regular basis, but I have been lazy over the summer. 

Is anyone else pushing their best times down, and would they care to share their experiences?

Hello:
I was doing about 4.5 km in 23 minutes. We've had a personal matter to deal with so I have no idea what my time is now.

You should be running 7 min a mile for combat arms I think...

I ran 8km in about 32 minutes... You should  ran 4 minutes a km. Depending how far you have to run. If you have 2.5 km try to run it in 8minutes or less. If you have to run 20 km thought, it's normal to do it in an hour or a bit more, so 5min per km

EDIT: Sorry didn't saw your age before... your time is good. I don't think that a lot of citizens could easely do that time ! Continue running, It's a chance to be healthy and to have a good shape.

I'll be 47 next week.  ;D

My understanding is that for level 3 you need to run in 5min/km, and of course level 2 and 1 are faster still.  I am using one of those new GPS watches that help me set my pace.  As long as I can see a gradual improvement over time, I am happy.  I don't want to push it to the point where I start getting injuries and skipping sessions.

5 min/km is a good average time for longer distances (10 km and beyond).

Obviously you want to be faster as the distance shortens.

Narcisse said:
You should be running 7 min a mile for combat arms I think...

I ran 8km in about 32 minutes... You should  ran 4 minutes a km. Depending how far you have to run. If you have 2.5 km try to run it in 8minutes or less. If you have to run 20 km thought, it's normal to do it in an hour or a bit more, so 5min per km

EDIT: Sorry didn't saw your age before... your time is good. I don't think that a lot of citizens could easely do that time ! Continue running, It's a chance to be healthy and to have a good shape.

Don't take this the wrong way, but with the info in your profile I don't think you've yet got the credentials to be telling people what they 'should' be doing for running times in combat arms. Don't get me wrong, if you can sustain 4 minute kilometers over the long haul, bloody good on you- but such running ability is hardly the norm, and there are a lot of different body types and builds kicking around.

I'm one of the better runners in my platoon, and average a bit under 5 minutes per km over decent distance when I'm going at a comfortable pace. A lot of fit people still aren't able to sustain a pace like this for too long.

5 minutes per kilometer is still pretty decent for what we do, and is attainable by almost everyone with enough work. If you can do this pace, your target for improvement should probably shift to distance or carrying weight as opposed to pushing it still faster. If you put it in the combat arms context, rather than being able to outstrip everyone in the platoon you can be more useful by hauling more kit over a longer distance.

Obviously though, if your focus is competitive running, then what I just said is null and void. Running specifically for time is a very different matter.

I take the info in another thread where the guy (an instructor in Petawawa I think) was telling others that a good time running for combat arms was 7min a mile. I just paste the info here.

Seven minute miles may be good for a younger person BUT for anyone 35+ its a bit of a stretch for most. Besides, you don't go to war in running shoes and shorts.
I beleive 6.5 km / hr carrying a ruck is a good time.

That's about 4 minutes 20s per kilometer- yes, that is indeed a *very* good pace for anyone who isn't a hardcore competitive runner.

I'm not trying to be a dick when I say this, I'm just trying to help you get used to this place more smoothly. There are many members here with lots of different valuable experience. In general we prefer waiting a bit longer for word straight from the horse's mouth than relying on copied and pasted second hand info. If you're not an experienced combat arms soldier/NCO, please hold off on making statements about expectations people will find in those trades. We'll have someone along soon enough who can enlighten us. We call that 'staying in your lanes'.

In any case, a good running pace is a good running pace, regardless of trade. And anyone in the combat arms should be endeavoring to increase their fitness in all respecte.

Alright, in fact I don't take the time to think about it. But yeah, you're right Brihard, sorry for that. I'm going to stay in my lanes !

Narcisse said:
Alright, in fact I don't take the time to think about it. But yeah, you're right Brihard, sorry for that. I'm going to stay in my lanes !

No worries dude. I was a member here for a couple of years before I began feeling comfortable and knowledgeable enough to start contributing here, and I still got slapped down a few times.

Back