• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Beret colours

The only reason for the navy connection was because of secrecy. The word "tank" was used because the originals resembled large navy storage tanks and the navy got the original job because the army brass didn‘t think the tank was a viable weapon and wouldn‘t buy into it.

Yep,so all of you Armoured types should be singing "Anchor‘s Away" and saluting the poop deck when you mount up!!!!
The calvary connection came about later,after the tank was seen as a success by the Land staff.

Saluting the poop deck when we mount up??? And me with no cigar tube! :D
ARRRR! Ever been to sea Tommy! :eek:

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/uniforms/berets.htm

Does this look accurate? (see link above)

Anyone have any idea when SAR techs adopted their berets?

I was a reservist in 1972 in the infantry, we still wore the battledress as a dress uniform and I was issued a scarlet red berret. In the fall of 1972 I was issued my CF green uniform and the green beret.

Australian Army Beret Colours as fol:

Current as at today, this is what comes to my mind.

Dark Blue - RAEME
Light blue - Army Avaition
Tan - SASR
Green - Commando
Maroon - Para
Red - MP
Black - Armd
UN Blue - UN

All other corps were the Gr 2 slouch, including RAEME, and a gr 1 for parade.
RAAF wear a blue slouch and/0r a blue puggaree, UN can wear a blue puggeree too, as some other units have different colour puggerees too.

Now your going to ask WTF is a puggeree?

In the field we all wear wide brim AUSCAM giggle hats

Cheers,

Wes

for the US Army

Black - All soldiers (before, it used to be only for Rangers)
Maroon - Airborne units (Paratroopers)
Tan - Ranger Battalions
Green - Special Forces units

US Air Force

Black - Tactical Air Control Party (TACP), Air Liaison Officers (ALO), and Air Mobility Liaison Officers (AMLO)
Maroon - Pararescue
Red (scarlet) - Combat Controllers
Royal Blue - Security Forces
Grey - Combat Weather

My regiment the Toronto Scottish Regiment has green berrets with blue and white....how should i say this " Pom Poms" does anyone know the reasons for the Pom Poms?

It‘s a glengarry, peanut, not a beret. And Canadian military hats do NOT have pom poms.

You are thinking of a "toorie".

Geez Usman what would your RSM say if he saw that mistake? That is if you are "actually" in the Regiment...

(sigh ... some mothers do ‘ave ‘em ...)

Highland and Scottish Regiments wear glengarries, balmorals, Tam‘O‘Shanters, or Kilmarnock bonnets.

And, yes - that‘s a Tourrie on top - NOT a pom-pom (and, yes - I DO hope the RSM finds out you said that ...)

The tails on a glen are symbolic of the ribbon used to tighten up the headdress (and in hot weather happen to do a reasonable job of shoo‘ing flies away from the back of your neck, as related to me by my grandfather who served in the Boer War)

Irish wear the Caubeen (as already ably pointed out, but I‘m doing a recap ... no pun intended)

I recall the Plough Jockeys used to wear the red beret, but I haven‘t seen them on parade in ages (and, of course, the CF Fashion Co-ordinator would be oh, so offended if they clashed with the Meat-heads)

RE: U.S. beret colours, Just a little thing that was quite amusing at the time. I was in Fort Bragg in 1984 with ‘E‘ Bty[para]. I was in ‘D‘ Bty. at the time but went down with them on this exercise as a cas. para. So to the E Bty guys I was just the"leg" they brought with them but the U.S. guys upon seeing my green beret thought that I was the one that was "slumming". Had to "yank" a few chains on this one. CHEERS

Back