• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Base Borden Armoured Corps Museum Hit by Budget Cuts

Michael,

I'm sure the Corp appreciated your efforts. However, the patina that brass, copper, bronze etc acquires while exposed to the elements is actually a protective coating the metals acquire. They will last longer in the open air if left to tarnish. When you polish them, you actually expose a new layer of the metal to the elements, and reduce it's lifespan. That's why monuments, etc are not cleaned regularly. But thanks anyway ;D

recceguy said:
Michael,

I'm sure the Corp appreciated your efforts. However, the patina that brass, copper, bronze etc acquires while exposed to the elements is actually a protective coating the metals acquire. They will last longer in the open air if left to tarnish. When you polish them, you actually expose a new layer of the metal to the elements, and reduce it's lifespan. That's why monuments, etc are not cleaned regularly. But thanks anyway ;D

Bah.  If it's good enough for the Marines, its good enough for us.  When it rusts, REPLACE it.  See the following link.

http://www.usmcvta.org/marinetopics/8th&Imarines.htm

Nonetheless, I will try that on the sergeant major next time I show up with tarnished oakleaves on parade...

Michael Dorosh said:
Nonetheless, I will try that on the sergeant major next time I show up with tarnished oakleaves on parade...

Gee Michael; did you promote yourself....... ;D

"Marine Corps, Marine Corps,
We can do it, if we try!"

GW

As the Curator of the local museum, Museum on the Boyne, in Alliston, I am outraged to hear that these buildings are coming down.    I am planning on contacting the Curator and Director of Base Borden Military museum today and see what I can do.  I am also contacting some of my contacts in the museum and Ministry of Culture and see what can be done to halt this demolition.  It is so frustrating that we the people of Canada put these policies, by-laws and Acts in place to protect our heritage properties and it seems that they, the Government, seem to be the worst offenders.

Rachelle Clayton
Curator, Museum on the Boyne

History should never be forgoten .  Its a shame that they want to destroy these buildings I would love to see the collection . IS there any other way to get funding for them or does it have to come from DND ?

Any particular reason we are paying PILT on heritage buildings?

to CTD:  I agree with you 100%... very sadly...

to MOB: any updates?

I live on base and my kids, my spouse and I used to love going visit the museums.  What is happening is very sad.  Not just with the museums, but with all the infrastructures.  Base Borden just isn't what it used to be anymore: environment and atmosphere.

Back