• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Barack Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

gcclarke said:
I mean, you would think that a president whose party controls both the House and the Senate would at least be able to get a little thing like health care passed. Not to mention his non-action on the repeal of the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy.
Health care "little"?  (joke?)

Not moving forward on the repeal is the only good thing he's done.  Or not done actually.  Just another instance of him not really doing anything I suppose.

DirtyDog said:
Just another instance of him not really doing anything I suppose.

That's probably for the best. Just leave the place the way he found it.

Obama would dramatically increase his credibility if he turned down the award in addition to what he said...."he does not yet deserve it".....come 2012 he would be a shoo-in....

Didn't Milli Venilli (sp?) win a Grammy?

Their Grammy was revoked after it was revealed that the lead vocals on the record were not the actual voices of Morvan and Pilatus.

Maybe they will take Obama's back after they realize he has done nothing spectacular either.

Country leaders are mostly lip singers anyway!We all seen what happened when the link to Bush's ear went down on occasion. ;D

On the downside:  now we're going have to listen to even more emphatic self-righteous, sanctimonious, sermonizing from this professorial snake-oil salesman who proclaims himself the prince of morality.

On the upside:  this award raises expectation levels beyond anything that can possibly be achieved which in turn hastens his fall from grace.

PS.  In case you hadn't noticed I don't share the popular opinion of this flim flam man.

X-mo-1979 said:
Their Grammy was revoked after it was revealed that the lead vocals on the record were not the actual voices of Morvan and Pilatus.

Maybe they will take Obama's back after they realize he has done nothing spectacular either.

Country leaders are mostly lip singers anyway!We all seen what happened when the link to Bush's ear went down on occasion. ;D

You know these guys names? :whistle:

recceguy said:
You know these guys names? :whistle:

I was thinking the same thing...

X-Mo, is there something you want to tell us? ;)

Hey I copied outta Wikipedia.
That's my story.
I will have girl you know it's true stuck in my head all night....

Now back to slamming Obama ;D

X-mo-1979 said:

Like a ventriloquist's dummy?
Clinton could, and still can, talk a good line. But, do you trust him?
Ronald Reagan's 1984 D-Day speech in France was very powerful.
President Roosevelt's Declaration of War Against Japan - while men were still trapped below decks in many of the ships bombed at Pearl Harbor - put the war in terms of a CRUSADE.
President Kennedy's Inaugural address was a masterpiece of writing and Kennedy delivered it magnificently.

mariomike said:
Like a ventriloquist's dummy?
Clinton could, and still can, talk a good line. But, do you trust him?

I'd trust him with most things other than my girlfriend. :)

http://news.muckety.com/2009/07/06/obama-speechwriter-among-administrations-top-earners/17681

Theres a reason they make so much!

As far as Presidents go, they say that LBJ was the last one to wear a military lapel pin. His was a Silver Star, and he, reportedly, didn't hesitate to flap that left lapel in peoples faces either, when needed. His biographer had this to say, "The most you can say about Lyndon Johnson and his Silver Star is that it is surely one of the most undeserved Silver Stars in history, because if you accept everything that he said, he was still in action for no more than 13 minutes and only as an observer. Men who flew many missions, brave men, never got a Silver Star."
I wonder how history will compare President Obama's oration skills to those of Martin Luther King?

What harsh critics!  You all know that Obama deserves his Nobel Prize just as much as Al Gore did.

Another peace prize winner was Vo Nguyen Giap earned for his skilful dipomacy in extracting the US from South Vietnam so he could finally crush it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize

The Norwegian Nobel Committee then bases its assessment on nominations sent in before 3 February.

What exactly did he do in the first 4 weeks as president?

I wonder how many Americans would vote Arnold Schwarzenegger for President? They can't, of course, because he was not born in America. But, he wouldn't be the first former movie actor Governor of California to get the Big Job!
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/4/27/1240852366449/obama-100-days--President-037.jpg

mariomike said:
I wonder how many Americans would vote Arnold Schwarzenegger for President? They can't, of course, because he was not born in America.

And Obama was?

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=105764

I really don't think he was born in Kenya although some do.

I have heard that the Nobel Peace Prize is not awarded to those who have done something but who are on a path which will lead to peace.
It is a prize which is meant to encourage those selected to continue on their endeavor of peace seeking.

bdave said:
I have heard that the Nobel Peace Prize is not awarded to those who have done something but who are on a path which will lead to peace.
It is a prize which is meant to encourage those selected to continue on their endeavor of peace seeking.

And just where did you hear that?

Here's a quote from the Nobel Site (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/shortfacts.html ):
Decoration
Facts on the Nobel Peace Prize
On 27 November 1895, Alfred Nobel signed his last will and testament, giving the largest share of his fortune to a series of prizes, the Nobel Prizes. As described in Nobel's will, one part was dedicated to "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses". Learn more about the Nobel Peace Prize from 1901-2008. The 2009 Nobel Prize is not yet included.

Emphasis added by Roy.

The real interesting thing is that the nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize would have to been made back in February or there about.  In other words, just after Obama had taken office and was still formalizing his policies. To paraphrase the Bard, "Something is rotten in the state of Norway."

Back