• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic coast guard helicopter crash kills 3

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
CBC News is reporting that a helicopter, operating from CGS Amundsen, has crashed. Three are reported dead.

hi-amundsen.jpg

The helicopter was operating with the Canadian Goast Guard research icebreaker Amundsen, shown here, when the chopper crashed.
(Jacques Boissinot/Canadian Press)

From all of us at Wilderness Helicopters Rest in Peace.

I listened to an interview on CBC radio on the way home.  Very sad news, I can imagine how much the crew is hurting right now at the loss.  My deepest condolences to the families of all three men.  :salute:

Rest in Peace to these three who lost their lives so far away from their homes.  :salute:

Condolences to all family, colleagues and friends ....

:salute:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2013/09/10/north-chopper-crash.html

RIP to all involved...

If there was any good luck, it's that two of the passenger seats were empty.

When I think of the things I know the CCG has done and been involved in, I am truly surprised the fatality rate is not higher.

The ones I can recall:

Young Seaman crushed by loose cargo on the Camsell
Tom Shelby on the bull Harbour Lifeboat
3 in the Middle Cove incident

An update: the CCG aims to recover the BO105 helo's wreckage.

link

Coast Guard ships hope to recover helicopter that crashed in icy Arctic Ocean

GATINEAU, Qc - Two Canadian Coast Guard ships are trying to find and recover a helicopter that crashed last week in the icy Arctic Ocean.

Three men who were on board the helicopter, including the commander of the icebreaker Amundsen, died in the crash.

Post-mortem examinations have suggested the men likely survived the impact, but later died of hypothermia after being in the frigid water for about one hour.

(...)

@^Colin P

You mentioned a fatality on board the Camsell. I'm not familiar with that incident, so perhaps you could offer a date when this occurred. Are you saying it was in the Camsell's first 3 years? (1959-1962)

Since the Canadian Coast Guard was created in January 1962 from the previous Department of Transport Marine Service, there have been 34 fatalities on duty (now 37).

There have also been two additional shipboard personnel who have fallen overboard while off duty and have not been included in those memorialized.

Vintage CCG

* Learn the history of Canada's Civilian Marine Service at VintageCCG on Facebook.com

I have heard the story from my Bosun and few others. Apparently they were on their way to the Arctic. One of those crappy fuel carrying landing barges secured on the well deck, broke free. They were standing on the hatch cover trying to secure it and the seaman jumped down to get a line on it and it shifted, crushing him. That's all I know. I will try asking around.

Vintage CCG:

Any reason why the two seaman that fell overboard are not memorialized?

I notice you use the term that they were "off-duty" when it happened, but were obviously onboard a Coast-Guard ship.

I am not familiar with this distinction. In the Navy, we may be off-watch, but as long as we are onboard, we are on "duty"  and can be called upon at a second's notice to carry out any task that may arise. Is that not the same in the Coast-Guard?

Vintage CCG said:
Since the Canadian Coast Guard was created in January 1962 from the previous Department of Transport Marine Service, there have been 34 fatalities on duty (now 37).

Brief details of those who died in the Line of Duty:
http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/coast-guard-honours-own-with-memorial-783111.htm

Back