• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applying While Obtaining Prerequisites

Zombie

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been answered before; if it has please let me know where so I can read it.

I am interested in applying for a Medical Technician and although I have a post-secondary education, I do not have the high school Biology and Chemistry credits required by this trade. I am currently enrolling for these courses in night school but want to know if I should wait to apply for the CF, or if I can begin the process and simply wait for the credits to be obtained.

Any help is appreciated.

PS - I'm also wondering if anyone knows if Physics is acceptable in place of both Biology and Chemistry, or in place of just one (Chemistry). Most of the documentation I've read states Biology and Chemistry, although on a sheet of paper I recieved from the CFRC listing the NCM MOC's it states "Grade 12 Biology & Chemistry or Physics". Somewhat confusing.

Thanks in advance.

IN this situation its probably best if you call your local CFRC to get a straight answer the first time.

Thanks for the info Orange...I contacted my CFRC and apparently without meeting basic eligibility requirements you cannot apply for a MOC. They encourage you to apply once the requirements are met.

Also to clarify for those that might be interested: For MED TECH, you need a grade 12 advanced Biology credit, plus either grade 12 advanced Physics OR Chemistry.

My question then becomes this:

If I apply for my 2nd and 3rd choice MOC's and begin the process while getting the credits I need, then change my 1st choice once I am fully qualified, that will work, no? Or will they question my focus?

Zombie said:
Thanks for the info Orange...I contacted my CFRC and apparently without meeting basic eligibility requirements you cannot apply for a MOC. They encourage you to apply once the requirements are met.

Also to clarify for those that might be interested: For MED TECH, you need a grade 12 advanced Biology credit, plus either grade 12 advanced Physics OR Chemistry.

My question then becomes this:

If I apply for my 2nd and 3rd choice MOC's and begin the process while getting the credits I need, then change my 1st choice once I am fully qualified, that will work, no? Or will they question my focus?

If you meet the requirements while in process for other trades you certainly can change your choices but make sure it is done before you are merit listed and chosen for the other trades.  If you are selected for your first choice and you turn it down your file will automatically be closed for six months.

Zombie; I'm in the same predicament. I had all my tests done. But when it came to the interview, the said I needed another Grade 12 science, as I already had Biology 30. As it stands you must have Biology, and either physics or chemistry. Anyway Ive been taking a fast Chemistry 20/30, at Chinook College in Calgary, and its both grade 11/12 chemistry, and it only putting me back one semester. You should look into it. Anyway good luck.

Hmm..I handed my application in and I am still finishing off my high school diploma.

I also found out that even though the grade 12 credits are "minimum" requirements, if I were to take college or university courses in Biology and Physics, they may or may not accept them as they are not the stated requirement.   ???

kincanucks said:
If you meet the requirements while in process for other trades you certainly can change your choices but make sure it is done before you are merit listed and chosen for the other trades. If you are selected for your first choice and you turn it down your file will automatically be closed for six months.
Thanks for this - valuable info if I plan to get a head start and apply before I'm qualified.

cgyflames, good luck to you too...I think I'm going to get a Physics credit as my 2nd choice is LCIS TECH, and requires Physics. How did you find a course that represents both grade 11 and 12? Is it longer?

P-free - not sure what you applied for but many MOC's require completion of grade 10 which, by the sounds of it, you're already qualified for.

I also found out that even though the grade 12 credits are "minimum" requirements, if I were to take college or university courses in Biology and Physics, they may or may not accept them as they are not the stated requirement.
This is true, I already have my EMR and my EMD (dispatcher), but it doesn't matter, because I didn't take Chem in high school. Anyway the course I am taking is offered at most colleges. Its called a accelerated program where the first half of a semester is Chem 20, and the second half is Chem 30. I start Chem 30 after march brake. Alot of upgrader's, and people in our boat take it. 

Just last week I went down to the recruiting office to hand in my application.  I have delt with a few different people and not all seem to know what they are talking about which makes things very confusing.  For example when I met with person #1 at the recruiting center he informed me about the different trades that would interest me (not mentioning any prerequisites) and that I just needed my references filled out.  The next day I hand in my references and meet with person #2 as #1 was out.  He takes my references and informs me that the trade I want will require Advanced Math.  I inform him that I have already done alot of the training that the military would be giving me within the first year of the trade and prove to him with my certificates, however he photocopies then disregards them and tells me to bring in my resume so that they can get a better look at my credentials.  The next day I go in with my resume and I am informed by person #3 (1 &2 weren't around) that I now need Physics to go into this trade.  I tell him to look at my resume and my certificates to show that I am clearly qualified for this trade.  He informs me that they will not look at my application until I have Physics.  Well things changed once I talked to many instructors who are teaching the different courses.  One is even my old teacher who taught me my Telecommunications course.  He said that I would probably be exempt from part of the training as did other instructors.  I went down to the recruiting center and informed them of this and they apologized however do I believe them that they will process my app or not?  I have never had such a run around in all my life. 

LittlePammy:

From what I've gathered from my CFRC, if you do not have the requirements as stated for each MOC, they may or may not accept your qualifications. The only way to know that you're qualified and that their requirements have been fulfilled is if you have what they have indicated on the sheet of paper showing the qualifications. You can get one from your CFRC and it lists the minimum qualifications for each MOC (which should not change from one recruiter to the next!). Beyond that, it sounds like they look at each situation on an adhoc basis.

I am under the frame of thought that this is a major change in my life, so I want everything to go as smoothly as possible when applying, and I am more than willing to invest the time to be fully qualified in the CF's view. I want to minimize any possibility of something going wrong during the application process and delaying my file.

Good luck to you, I hope they process your file, but if not then at least you will know what you need to do and can go out and get it!   :)

Back