• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application question - lived overseas

Tigger

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, (yes i have searched and no i couldn't find answers)

I'm about to send in my application but i was just wondering if the fact that i grew up overseas will hamper my application at all?

I was born in Canada
- moved to new zealand when i was a kid (4) - grew up there, went to university
- recently moved back to Canada been back for a year now and want to join up

Have always maintained my Canadian citizenship and was only a New Zealand Permanent Resident. My intention has always been to return to Canada (darn parents deciding they hated the cold).

So any reasons this would affect my application at all?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Tracy

I've lived in Germany. There were no problems with my BackCheck. I'm sure New Zealand is fine. 

Did you search:  BackCheck, Security Clearance, Living outside of country, etc.?  I know there are topics on those subjects. 

The delays will not be with Backcheck, they will be on the Security Clearance and possibly Reliability Status side.

You can expect impressive delays if you've lived in Canada only for a year or so.

Thanks for the replies - i had searched living overseas but as they are fairly broad terms nothing came up that matched my question

I didnt realise it was called backcheck (and though security clearance came afterwards for some reason)

But thanks, ill use those searches and see what i can come up with.

I can understand their will be delays to verify my information but its just a little annoying - want to join as soon as possible.

I mean im a 5th generation Canadian, not really my fault my parents decided to move overseas and I moved back as soon as I could afford to. But hopefully, with New Zealand being a commonwealth country there shouldn't be too much hold up, I mean ive got a mortgage here in Canada and getting all my info from New Zealand was fairly easy for that (not that they are really comparable but a girl can hope).

Thanks again,

Tigger said:
I can understand their will be delays to verify my information but its just a little annoying - want to join as soon as possible.

I mean im a 5th generation Canadian, not really my fault my parents decided to move overseas and I moved back as soon as I could afford to.

Nor is it the CF's fault either.  I'm just saying, that's all.

Good luck with your application.

PMedMoe said:
Nor is it the CF's fault either.  I'm just saying, that's all.

No your right, it defiantly isn't - the frustration let the whiner out of its cage but hes securely locked up again 

Onwards and Upwards :D

Tigger said:
No your right, it defiantly isn't - the frustration let the whiner out of its cage but hes securely locked up again 

Onwards and Upwards :D

1.gif
  Well said!!

The fact that you lived in New Zealand has no impact on your application. It appears that you are a Canadian citizen and, I'm guessing that you meet the minimum academic requirements for your occupation/entry plan choice. The fact that you do not have ten years continuous residency in Canada would only be a factor if you lived in a country that was not on the list......
Both the Government of Canada Security Policy and the National Defence Security Policy require that a Pre-enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment be conducted prior to enrolment in the CF if an applicant:

- Is not a Canadian citizen.
- Has resided outside Canada in a country other than Australia, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom (includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) and the United States in the last five (5) years.
- Has travelled or studied outside of Canada in countries other than those listed above in excess of 180 continuous days.
- Has worked outside of Canada in countries other than those listed above for a non-Government of Canada agency in excess of 180 continuous days.
- Has immediate relatives who are currently residing in a country other than those listed above.

A Pre-enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment is a preliminary examination of verifiable information to assess the suitability of an individual to be further considered for a security clearance.

Just to clarify:

Your Application to get in the CF will most probably not be delayed.

Your Security Clearance Application, should you need a security clearance for one for the job you'd be going into, will  be most likely take longer than usual to process.

Martin

Back