• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application Process Samples [ 2019-present]

Yeah seems like you will be going to BMq around Early or mid jan, Which Trade did you end up Choosing?
I was told i was eligible for very trade possible but my background check timeline Looks long and Fooggy due to out of country travel
It all depends. Worst answer ever, right?
So, for context, I had 2 out of country visits. Caribbean and the US. Nothing to raise red flags so mine went through fairly seamlessly. It all depends on the Country from what I understand? If you're not a Canadian citizen it can add an extra year to the security check.
It's one heck of a waiting game.
Good luck! I'm curious how much running you'll do ? I run 2.5km everyday now and strength training too keep us updated!
Hey! We’re just finishing week 2.
BMOQ is not at all like BMQ.
There’s a lot of classroom work and not much on the physical side right now. We’ve done PT ( weights, cardio, endurance) but no running yet. The Force test was at the beginning of the week and my whole platoon passed, thank goodness.

I’m not sure what to say?
Ummm… bring rubbing alcohol to strip the wax off shoes if you’re going BMOQ, bring some cleaning rags, the pillows suck so pack your own, and pack lots of meds for illness and sore muscles.

Oh, and the stairs suck! So many floors - so very painful to climb!

It all depends. Worst answer ever, right?
So, for context, I had 2 out of country visits. Caribbean and the US. Nothing to raise red flags so mine went through fairly seamlessly. It all depends on the Country from what I understand? If you're not a Canadian citizen it can add an extra year to the security check.
It's one heck of a waiting game.

Hey! We’re just finishing week 2.
BMOQ is not at all like BMQ.
There’s a lot of classroom work and not much on the physical side right now. We’ve done PT ( weights, cardio, endurance) but no running yet. The Force test was at the beginning of the week and my whole platoon passed, thank goodness.

I’m not sure what to say?
Ummm… bring rubbing alcohol to strip the wax off shoes if you’re going BMOQ, bring some cleaning rags, the pillows suck so pack your own, and pack lots of meds for illness and sore muscles.

Oh, and the stairs suck! So many floors - so very painful to climb!
Yeah I've heard all the stairs suck haha and I'll be doing BMQ not officer bmq, I'm still waiting for my background and security clearance to come back so I can get on a comp list. The waiting is brutal lol and can't you buy all that stuff you need at the CANEX? Rags, polish etc I might be able to fly with rubbing alcohol when the time comes but I'm not sure.

How long were you waiting for your background and security clearance to come back? And how long did you sit on a competition list?

Yeah I've heard all the stairs suck haha and I'll be doing BMQ not officer bmq, I'm still waiting for my background and security clearance to come back so I can get on a comp list. The waiting is brutal lol and can't you buy all that stuff you need at the CANEX? Rags, polish etc I might be able to fly with rubbing alcohol when the time comes but I'm not sure.

How long were you waiting for your background and security clearance to come back? And how long did you sit on a competition list?
I spoke too soon! This coming week we have PT scheduled for every day.
And our sergeant works with special forces - he thinks our pod (we have individual bedrooms) needs a pull-up bar. Gawd help me!

I can’t recall exactly but the security clearance took about a month and the competition list was about 2 weeks.
The official offer, in total with the comp. list, took about 3 weeks to arrive in my email. I then had 1 night to accept or reject the offer.
But I’d have to go back a few pages to see my post with the actual dates.

As for Canex, you can only purchase what’s on the approved list. I had to get permission to buy a stuffed bear soldier!
And it’s very expensive: $14 for a single lock and key so only buying the necessities saves money.
We didn’t see any alcohol so had to strip the wax off the officer’s Oxford shoes with hot water but I don’t know if BMQ has to do any polishing. My combat boots and goretex boots don’t require that.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask questions. I’ll try to get on every few days.

Recruiting Centre: London, ON
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade Choice 1: Public Affairs Officer
Application: November 2022
CFAT: March 2023
Interview: June 2023
Medical: August 2023
WCPT: September 22, 2023 (Results received Oct. 3)
Final Processing: September 2023
Competition List: October 3, 2023
Selected: October 18, 2023
Offered:
Enrollment: October 25, 2023
BMQ: November 6, 2023

Seems like you may have had an accelerated wait time due to joining as an officer potentially? Because I'm almost at month 2 of waiting to hear back now and I'm worried if I don't hear anything this month I won't next month either cause I've read somewhere that processing stops for the entire month of December essentially not sure how true that is though.

And so the canex being extremely expensive as you mentioned are you allowed to bring all the extra stuff you need then? Like locks, boot polish etc?

And in your opinion what's been the hardest thing you've done in bmq so far? I'm curious about the training regime as I run 3km everyday weight training 4 to 5 days a week along with calisthenics, 150 to 200 push-ups a day, 100 pull ups etc etc

And what did you bring with you to bmq and wish you had brought?

And it’s very expensive: $14 for a single lock and key so only buying the necessities saves money.
Canex is not known to be cheap. At CFLRS people shop there for convenience. After Indoc, most people go to Walmart instead. The other good thing about Canex is the Canex payment plan, for when you buy furniture and such. It is a no interest payment plan that comes right off your pay.

In the case of your lock, was it an Abloy lock? Those are usually what is used for weapons lock up. They are extra secure locks, so extra expensive per lock.

Seems like you may have had an accelerated wait time due to joining as an officer potentially? Because I'm almost at month 2 of waiting to hear back now and I'm worried if I don't hear anything this month I won't next month either cause I've read somewhere that processing stops for the entire month of December essentially not sure how true that is though.

And so the canex being extremely expensive as you mentioned are you allowed to bring all the extra stuff you need then? Like locks, boot polish etc?

And in your opinion what's been the hardest thing you've done in bmq so far? I'm curious about the training regime as I run 3km everyday weight training 4 to 5 days a week along with calisthenics, 150 to 200 push-ups a day, 100 pull ups etc etc

And what did you bring with you to bmq and wish you had brought?
Yes, the Mega closes for Christmas from December 9 through January 6th and courses resume on the 7th.

As for the physical stuff, I’m an officer so I can’t really comment on the BMQ training but push-ups are more of a punishment for improper uniform. I haven’t had more than 25 push-ups in the last 2 weeks in PT.
PT runs your physical training - not the marching COs but they will take you to the North door for remedial exercises if you screw up as a platoon.
My platoon hasn’t been sent there yet but we’ve been told how awful it is from other platoons and we’ve been warned once that we were getting to that point.

The hardest thing? Working together as a platoon. That’s what will make or break you. And drilling. The BMQ groups do hours of drilling. They’re all I can hear in my room at night as they yell the drill steps back.

What you want to prepare your body for is the air sits. You’ll do way more of those than you will push-ups. They build you up to the push-up standard and how they want them performed with arm placement and touching nose/chest to the ground. Like I said, I’ve done very few push-ups (and am female) but I’m almost at the point where I can get all the way down and back up again. The weight training and gym workouts are geared to get the right muscles toned. It hurts though. Leg training is necessary - not so much running in my experience but the squats, burpees, air sits, and stairs build the calve muscles up really quickly.

Canex: those who pre-bought were allowed to use their stuff. But wait on the polishing kit as you may not need it for BMQ as NCO’s are not issued dress shoes.

What do I wish I brought? More meds like Motrin. The guys used my whole bottle after their butt shots (I chose the pills for 1 month rather than the butt needle). You’ll want meds for muscles and also flu/cold medication as mine went fast with my platoon getting sick. It’s unavoidable.

Bring your pillow. You won’t need much else once your kit is issued. Use The Wool Socks the CAF provides. They don’t cause blisters. Those who are wearing their own marichino (spelling?) wool socks have blisters and friction burns on their feet. Mine are perfect. They just hurt like every other part of my body!

Canex is not known to be cheap. At CFLRS people shop there for convenience. After Indoc, most people go to Walmart instead. The other good thing about Canex is the Canex payment plan, for when you buy furniture and such. It is a no interest payment plan that comes right off your pay.

In the case of your lock, was it an Abloy lock? Those are usually what is used for weapons lock up. They are extra secure locks, so extra expensive per lock.
No, that’s the one lock they do provide you with.

Recruiting Centre: New Westminster
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Vehicle Tech
Trade Choice 2: Weapons Tech
Trade Choice 3: Combat engineer
Application: March 2023
First Contact: May 2023
CFAT: May 2023
FORCE: May 2023
Medical: June 2023 - declared med fit Aug 8th after extra papers were required
Final Processing: October 2023
Ready for Competition List: November 9th 2023
Selected: applicant portal still displays "ready for competition list"
Offer: applicant portal still displays "ready for competition list"
Enrollment: Nov 29th 2023 I have been told to report to my reserve unit for enrollment
BMOQ: NA

I had applied for Vehicle tech as I currently hold a red seal certificate in Auto Repair. My recruiter has asked me to come in for enrolment on the 29th at the Service Battalion, though he did not have my file from Ottawa yet? (he said this should be fine) I have not received any templated/formal job offer email and was told if all goes well ill be enrolled on the 29th. Unsure if there is something at this point that could prevent this but am looking forward to this date!

Update, my file has been moved from Final processing to ready for Competition List as of Nov 24th, 2023.
Upon speaking to my MCC, I was advised that I could an offer in the next two weeks and enrolment will be some time end of December with BMOQ expected to commence in one of the January batches. Below is the detailed time line for your reference.

Recruiting Centre: CFRC Vancouver
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Trade Choice 1: Artillery Officer
Trade Choice 2: Logistics Officer
Trade Choice 3: -
Application: Sep 20, 2022
First Contact: Sep 21, 2022
CFAT: Oct 6, 2022
Medical 1&2: Oct 18, 2022
Interview: Oct 17, 2022
Medical Approved: Nov 02, 2022
Final Processing: Nov 03, 2022
Interview 2: Sep 20, 2023 (Update Interview completed and cleared)
Reliability Screening: Sep 20, 2023 started
Competition List: Ready for Competition List on Nov 24, 2023
Position Offered: ...
Enrollment: ...
BMOQ: ...

Update, my file has been moved from Final processing to ready for Competition List as of Nov 24th, 2023.
Upon speaking to my MCC, I was advised that I could an offer in the next two weeks and enrolment will be some time end of December with BMOQ expected to commence in one of the January batches. Below is the detailed time line for your reference.

Nice, Congrats! I think im just behind you by a week or so hopefully I just did my personal and educational references and my security check just came back all clear. My MCC told me she is just waiting for the main report from gambitid and then I'll be put on a competition list and hopefully sent an offer over the holidays potentially. So BMQ in the new year hopefully!

How long did your Gambitid report take to come back?

You had a second interview you mentioned as well? Was it just an update on the entire process etc?

Nice, Congrats! I think im just behind you by a week or so hopefully I just did my personal and educational references and my security check just came back all clear. My MCC told me she is just waiting for the main report from gambitid and then I'll be put on a competition list and hopefully sent an offer over the holidays potentially. So BMQ in the new year hopefully!

How long did your Gambitid report take to come back?

You had a second interview you mentioned as well? Was it just an update on the entire process etc?
Oh Gosh,

The report from Gambit took well over a month due some kind of internal system issue as per my MCC. Again, each file moves at a different pace, and yours might move sooner.

All the best.

Recruiting Centre: Halifax
Trade Choice 1: Infanteer
Trade Choice 2: Gunner
Trade Choice 3: Armoured Soldier
Application: September 2nd, 2023
First Contact: September 13th, 2023
CFAT: October 18th, 2023 (successful)
Medical: November 6th, 2023
Medical Forms Submitted: November 14th, 2023 (Visual Acuity Form)
Interview: November 28th, 2023
Med Fit:
Background Check:
Competition List:
Selected:
Position Offered:
Enrolment:
BMOQ:
Update: My interview was cancelled this morning. I was deemed medically unfit. I reached out to medical staff at my local recruiting office for further details and was informed the staff in Halifax deemed me medically fit. Upon review of my file in Ottawa, I was deemed unfit for prior long term daily cannabis use.

I quit smoking cannabis two months ago. To appeal, I must get my doctor to test me for cannabis three months in a row to prove abstinence.

Honestly, I’m extremely frustrated by this decision. Not because I won’t pass the drug tests, but because cannabis is legal in Canada. The forces allow cannabis use with certain conditions. It also prolongs the application process.

Obviously I’m going to follow the instructions for an appeal.

Recruiting Centre: New Westminster
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Trade Choice 1: Vehicle Tech
Trade Choice 2: Weapons Tech
Trade Choice 3: Combat engineer
Application: March 2023
First Contact: May 2023
CFAT: May 2023
FORCE: May 2023
Medical: June 2023 - declared med fit Aug 8th after extra papers were required
Final Processing: October 2023
Ready for Competition List: November 9th 2023
Selected: applicant portal still displays "ready for competition list"
Offer: applicant portal still displays "ready for competition list"
Enrollment: Nov 29th 2023 I have been told to report to my reserve unit for enrollment
BMOQ: NA

I had applied for Vehicle tech as I currently hold a red seal certificate in Auto Repair. My recruiter has asked me to come in for enrolment on the 29th at the Service Battalion, though he did not have my file from Ottawa yet? (he said this should be fine) I have not received any templated/formal job offer email and was told if all goes well ill be enrolled on the 29th. Unsure if there is something at this point that could prevent this but am looking forward to this date!
UPDATE: enrolled last night, BMQ to start in January or February for me

Hello all,
Update, my online application portal is showing selected as of Nov 29th, 2023. Next step is ‘offer tendered’.
Does any one know how long it takes for an offer to be tender for DEO after being selected from competition list? My file moved fairly quickly ready for comp list to comp and being selected. Below is the detailed time line. Thanks in anticipation.

Competition List: Placed on Nov 27th, 2023
Selected: Nov 29th, 2023

Update: My interview was cancelled this morning. I was deemed medically unfit. I reached out to medical staff at my local recruiting office for further details and was informed the staff in Halifax deemed me medically fit. Upon review of my file in Ottawa, I was deemed unfit for prior long term daily cannabis use.

I quit smoking cannabis two months ago. To appeal, I must get my doctor to test me for cannabis three months in a row to prove abstinence.

Honestly, I’m extremely frustrated by this decision. Not because I won’t pass the drug tests, but because cannabis is legal in Canada. The forces allow cannabis use with certain conditions. It also prolongs the application process.

Sorry to hear about the medical result. Good luck with your appeal.

Cannabis may be legal but you won't be allowed to smoke it while at BMQ. You also cannot consume it on a daily basis while serving, due to various taskings (deployments, ranges, courses, exercises, etc). They just need proof that you can function without it. If you cannot go without it for long periods of time without issues, or refuse to go without it for long periods of time, then that's what the CAF is trying to find out.
People are deemed medically unfit for a variety of reasons. At least this one is correctable easily.

Recruiting Centre: Montreal
Trade Choice 1: INFANTRY
Trade Choice 2:
Application: some time in July
First Contact:
CFAT: i kept delaying it, Oct 11 2023
Medical 1&2: Nov 6
Interview: Nov 3
Medical Approved: Nov 7
Final Procossing: Nov 8
Competition List: Dec 1
Selected: Na
Position Offered:na
Enrollment: na

I was told I qualified for essentially every job and would be selected in a day or two but stuck with infantry, so hopefully I get an offer next week

Back