• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application Process Samples [2003 - 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Skeletor- said:
Did you ask for PPCLI, or just say you were open to any regiment?

It was probably on one of the forms. I know I never asked for any regiment specifically. Maybe I should learn to read things more carefully from now on?  :facepalm:
I would have rather stayed in Ontario, but I'm open for going across the country.

Dlaws90 said:
It was probably on one of the forms. I know I never asked for any regiment specifically. Maybe I should learn to read things more carefully from now on?  :facepalm:
I would have rather stayed in Ontario, but I'm open for going across the country.

I think you can request it later on. I know as soon as my interview was over my recruiter asked me "have you considered with Regimental affiliation you would like for Infantry? We have the Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR) stationed in Petawawa, ON as well as Gagetown, NB. Or the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) out of Edmonton, AB and Shiloh, MB."

I told him I was thinking about RCR but I am still undecided.

Verge1993 said:
I think you can request it later on.

You should decide on a regiment and inform the CFRC during the process/before the job offer IMO.  If you are offered a position for PPCLI Infantry and accept it, you will be sent off to Wainwright/PPCLI Battle School(or Meaford for RCR, etc) after completing BMQ.  They are not going to ask you to pick a regiment during BMQ.  I know some pers have changed their minds and submitted memos while in Pat Pl or on course(DP1) and were able to change their regimental affiliation. 

-Skeletor- said:
You should decide on a regiment and inform the CFRC during the process/before the job offer IMO.  If you are offered a position for PPCLI Infantry and accept it, you will be sent off to Wainwright/PPCLI Battle School(or Meaford for RCR, etc) after completing BMQ.  They are not going to ask you to pick a regiment during BMQ.  I know some pers have changed their minds and submitted memos while in Pat Pl or on course(DP1) and were able to change their regimental affiliation.

Can you just say It doesn't bother me were I would end up getting posted, or do you "need" to choose one?

-Skeletor- said:

Maybe this is because your talking about NCM's and I'm waiting for a position as an Infantry Officer but my impression was that you go through BMQ/BMOQ and then choose your regiment. Then from there I'd go to battle school in Gagetown, not Wainwright or Meaford. After that I'd be posted at my regiment (I want to go to Petawawa).
Am I way off or what?

Verge1993 said:
Can you just say It doesn't bother me were I would end up getting posted, or do you "need" to choose one?

I would assume you can just leave it open; Dlaws90 didn't select a regiment, and was able to go through the recruiting process without choosing one.

RectorCR said:
Maybe this is because your talking about NCM's and I'm waiting for a position as an Infantry Officer but my impression was that you go through BMQ/BMOQ and then choose your regiment. Then from there I'd go to battle school in Gagetown, not Wainwright or Meaford. After that I'd be posted at my regiment (I want to go to Petawawa).
Am I way off or what?

Infantry NCMs can choose their regiment in the recruiting process, and each regiment run's it's own DP1 course within their area.  Officers are different, they do not get to pick a regiment during the recruiting process.  As well, all Infantry officers train in Gagetown for their courses post BMOQ.  I believe during DP1.2 you will be asked for 3 posting preferences by battalion. During the last week of DP1.2 you will find out where you are going.

I wasn't asked which regiment I wanted. I just got PPCLI which was alright with me since that was the regiment I wanted. If you want a certain regiment Dlaws90, I would suggest letting you're CFRC know sooner, rather then later.

Goodeman said:
I wasn't asked which regiment I wanted. I just got PPCLI which was alright with me since that was the regiment I wanted. If you want a certain regiment Dlaws90, I would suggest letting you're CFRC know sooner, rather then later.

I've thought it over. At first I wanted to be closer to home. But I'm young and I've never been out west, so I figured being further away from home might be a good experience. I don't really have many obligations at home to fulfill at the moment. So I think I'll go there while I still can.

Does anyone know if I were to finish my 3 year commitment and decide to sign on again would I have a chance to change regiments then?

Recruiting Centre: Online (Regina)
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade 1: Aviation System Technician
Trade 2: Medical Technician
Trade 3:
Application Date: November 30, 2012 (Documents sent in 2 weeks after)
First Contact: February 21
CFAT: March 28
Merit Listed: May 15
Position Offered: AVN Tech
Enrolment: TBA
Swearing in: TBA
BMQ: August 19

Finally got an offer ;D

Dlaws90 said:
Does anyone know if I were to finish my 3 year commitment and decide to sign on again would I have a chance to change regiments then?

You can submit a memo at any time asking to change your regimental affiliation.

korwynkim said:
Trade 3:

Finally got an offer ;D

Congrats! Dlaws90 also got accepted for BMQ August 19th.

Wish I would get a call soon :(

*****UPDATE*****

Recruiting centre: ONLINE/Oshawa
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Trade choice 1: Military Police
Trade choice 2: Artillery Soldier
Applied: January 2012
File sent to CFRC: February 2012
First contact: April 20, 2013
CFAT: May 21, 2013
Medical: June 11, 2013
Interview: June 25, 2013
Merit listed: June 25, 2013
Position offered: waiting..
swearing in: waiting..
BMQ: waiting..

hoping to get a call to start on August 19th!

korwynkim said:
Trade 3:

Finally got an offer ;D

CONGRATS!!!!! :D

Just got the call! Im going to be a Med Tech!!! Start basic Aug. 5th :) woot, took me about a year from when I first applied.

Secord91 said:
Just got the call! Im going to be a Med Tech!!! Start basic Aug. 5th :) woot, took me about a year from when I first applied.

Congrats!!! Praying Ill see you there!  :)

Recruiting Center: Toronto, Ontario
Regular/Reserve: Primary Reserves
Unit: Lorne Scots A Coy
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Application Date: April 01, 2013
First Contact: April 01, 2013
CFAT Date: April 15th, 2013 - *passed*
Interview: April 18, 2013 - *passed*
Physical: June 3rd, 2013 - *passed*
Medical: - July 2nd, 2013 *passed*
Swear In Ceremony:  -
Basic Training Begins: -

AMAZING NEWS, its not 100% but I just emailed my RC and said "I was wondering, how competitive was my file?" then he responded with "You should be getting a phone call by the end of this week ;)"

Now its time to start praying that the "should be getting a call" will in fact happen!

estoguy said:
Good luck with those trades... they are tough to get into from what I've heard as well. I'd thought about TDO, but was advised its easier to get into once into the Forces - its difficult to get in "off the street".  Most people get in via transfer from what I've been told.

Thank you. Just recently received a call to schedule the medical and interview, so it seems like PAO and TDO positions are open. I've been told the same information as you, but funny enough, the counsellor said I was actually more qualified for TDO than PAO, which blew my mind. We'll see what happens, though. Best of luck to you!

JamesKEDU said:
Just out of curiosity, how long after your presec and ti interview were you informed that you needed a security clearance pre-assessment? I studied for a year in Australia and my file is currently being assessed on whether I need to get it done or not. It has been a little more than month since my presec interview.

During my reliability screening, I was informed by the counsellor right away that I needed a security clearance pre-assessment. They sent my file to Ottawa right away, and he said they wanted my file to go through as soon as possible, so the background check wouldn't take 10-18 months. I received a call just last week to book the medical and interview, so I'd say it took a little over a month to do my background and reference checks, including the international ones. Perhaps you could ask the recruiter if it is in your best interest to provide an Australian criminal records check to speed up the process?

theforcewithin said:
Great thread. Thanks for posting, everyone. Really helps me gauge the process time. Here's mine thus far:

Recruiting Centre: Online/Toronto
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade choice 1: Public Affairs Officer
Trade choice 2: Training Development Officer
Applied: Online, January 14, 2013
File sent to CFRC: January 2013
First contact: February 28, 2013
Contact for secondary paperwork: March 7, 2013
CFAT: May 2, 2013
Reliability Screening/Interview: May 21, 2013
References contacted: May-June 2013
Background check: May-present (Extra background check needed because I lived in the UK.)
Medical: TBD
Interview: TBD
Merit listed: TBD
Position offered: TBD
Swearing in: TBD
Basic Training: TBD

Next step for me as of the end of my RS/Interview is to wait for a call if more information is needed and/or to schedule the Medical and Interview.

Several things to note here as well. As I lived in another country for more than 6 months, there's an extra background check that has to be done. On paper, it says that it can take from 10-18 months, but my counsellors have informed me it shouldn't take that long, especially if the country is willing to provide that information. The CFRC in Toronto, particularly the counsellors I've been working with, have been doing their very best in putting my app through and, since it's England specifically, I don't think it should take that long. Nevertheless, I'll keep my eye out on the timeline for the background check with the extra step and update the post just in case anyone else has to have a further BG check. (What might also help is to provide your own criminal background check from the foreign country and submit it to the RC when appropriate.)

Another thing to keep in mind, as my counsellors have told me, is that the two positions that I applied for a) rarely open up - one or two just get hired here and there and b) only have one or two intakes per year. (If I miss the PAO deadline for June, the TDO opening is in November, which isn't too bad since I still have a lot more steps to go through anyway. For the case of TDO, I've been informed that Basic will most likely start after December, around the spring of 2014.) So I guess if your application is taking a while, the factor might not be related to your credentials or experience, but related to when the hiring time is for your trade(s).

From some of the other applicants I spoke to, the timeline for their application pretty much matched mine. Not sure of the intake dates, frequencies, and quantities of their chosen trades, but it's good to know that my app's process is similar to others'. Keeping my fingers crossed I'm still found suitable to serve and prepping hard in the meantime!

________________________________________​

***UPDATE***

Recruiting Centre: Online/Toronto
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade choice 1: Public Affairs Officer
Trade choice 2: Training Development Officer
Applied: Online, January 14, 2013
File sent to CFRC: January 2013
First contact: February 28, 2013
Contact for secondary paperwork: March 7, 2013
CFAT: May 2, 2013
Reliability Screening/Interview: May 21, 2013
References contacted: May-June 2013
Background check: May-June 2013 (Extra background check needed because I lived in the UK.)
Medical: July 8, 2013
Interview: July 11, 2013
Merit listed: TBD
Position offered: TBD
Swearing in: TBD
Basic Training: TBD

So the international background check didn't take 10-18 months at all! For those who have lived outside of Canada for more than 6 months, or have any other conditions that require a further security clearance, the background check might not be as long as stated. I didn't provide my own criminal records check from the UK as was advised, but I was lucky enough that I apparently didn't need it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back