• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any 1 CER from the 80?

I was in Trg. Sup. Tp. in Chilliwack from Aug 85 til Jun 88.  Mike may not have been the Rommel of the training system, but he did a fine job at the wet gap.  I was there, so I know.  Piss on him at your peril.

I always liked Mike too. I didn't mind working for him in the few times that I did.

Hi! Yes i remember MIke Goody too - Knew his stuff. Kenny Austin was a golden gloves champion early on - he used to sort things out if necessary in the gym or somewhere. I remember this guy - (remember - 'cept the name of course) - and Kenny saying to me "I beat 'em - but he broke two of my ribs".  I got on great with Kenny - after we had a short argument checking out a minefield -"I go first, I'm the sargeant". "No, I go first I got the mine detector - and you've got those two boys!" (great minefield - couple of hundred rusty tin cans, couple of hundred pop and beer bottles, and six grouse). A lot of those guys at the time just got pissed off at the officers - who were idiots mostly - and when they got the chance, they left. I remember some twit saying "I'm a captain, you're a sargeant, even when I'm wrong I'm right".  So much talent was lost then. A real shame. Courses were shortened around that time too - The corporals' course being about three months - cut down to three weeks. Say, Anyone remember Ralph Leaman? and someone less old - Curtis Kibbins?

JackD,

I sure remember Ralph, unfortunately, he has passed away... many a great night at the Sergeants mess in the wack with Ralph running the bar. Had a many a laugh with Kenny Autin in Petawawa in the late seventies.

Hi! Ralph was a great man - had the odd problem with winter turnips - if you know what i mean - but a guy you looked after and listened to as he knew his stuff - and was.. was  Ralph. You know looking back at it all it seems the various postings for that crowd were fishing,  hiking, rain - Chilliwack; hunting and blacklifes - Petawawa; errr... beer, bogs and skeeters - Gagetown; Oh... Edmonton - jumping out of perfectly good airplanes;  misery, blackflies, Quebec City - Valcartier. As to Lahr... beer, frauleins, the big event. If you ever run into Ralph's widow or family, please pass on my fond memories of a man I respected and still respect.

Ed Ashlie/Ashly is also in the Wack.
I hear he is not doing so well.
His adventures have caught up with him.

Nick

I was in 1 CER 2 Troop from 1979 to 1981, did my 3 yrs, partially torn my achilles tendon 3/4 through and decided enough was enough. Still miss it though. They have the same type of shacks as Car at Borden and everytime I see them I can't help but smile.

Darryl

Back