• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ammunition Technical Officer

chris_log

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there are any ATO's or people familier with the ATO's job here. I'm a number of years away from making any attempt to get into this job but I was hoping I could get a general idea of what this job is all about (as it's not a very well-known or advertised job).

To be honest, I've never heard of it before.  Is this a sub-occupation for Army Log O?

My sister was the Ammo Officer in both Valcartier and Gagetown, as a Log O.

I'm not sure if there's such a thing as Ammunition Technical Officer.

I believe  ATOs are only found in the Royal Army.

Cheers,

tango22a

I'm fairly familiar with ATOs, I spent the last three years in the UK trying to tell them about ammo  ;D

For the Army you can expect to be posted to an Ammo Pl as the Pl Comd.  Keep in mind you would also be double hatted as the Area ATO, so the ATO in Pet is also the LFCA ATO, so it is a bit more responsibility than a simple Pl Comd job.  If one of the Pl's isn't available then you would probably end up in a Depot (Angus or Dundurn), or possibly Ottawa.  If you stick with (or we keep you) after your first tour you will probably go to Ottawa in a staff job.

Fair chance of a tour, considering there are four Army ammo platoons and that is where the ATO for Afg would ideally be sourced from.  I also know that we continued to provide an ATO ti SFOR long after the main Canadian effort was done, don't know if thats still going on.

If you are Air or Navy log ATO then you would probably end up in either a Depot or Ottawa, or possibly for the Navy on one of the coasts in MARLANT/MARPAC N4 organization.  I think the Air Force sticks with second tour ATOs in 1 CAD mostly.

Any questions PM me.

WTF is the Royal Army? of where, certainly not the UK or any Commonwealth country.

There are a very limited number of post-grad starts per year (one or two) for Log and Engr officers; the course is in the UK (one year, as I recall, but it's been a while since I looked at it).  The career manager can give you more details on what to do to make yourself competitive, what will follow the successful completion of your PG, and what it may mean for future career prospects - there are certain unofficial sub-occupations that once you're in, it's almost impossible to escape.

That's how I recall it. The ATO qualification is based on a long course in the UK. It originally was reserved for RCOC officers and the job title was IOO for Inspecting Officer, Ordnance. I was very impressed by the first, and maybe the only, one I met in 1963 in Gagetown when he and I did an investigation of an ammunition accident. His knowledge was truly impressive, at least to Second Lieutenant Sweatie. Unltimately events proved he was correct, unlike the hordes of armchair experts who pronounced on the matter unencumbered by knowledge. (Does that sound familar?)

My sister did do the courses in England before she became the Ammo Officer but AFAIK, she was still a Log O after.

Thanks for the responses (it's a sub-occupation for Log O's for those who asked). I didn't really know much about it, as I had been pretty interested in the movements world, but this past summer I met some ATO's and a Capt. who was looking to get into the job so it piqued my interest.

AmmoTech90, PM inbound with some questions.

Ammotech 90:

Sorry my bad... had brain f##t.

Cheers,

tango22a

P. S.: As one gets older it happens more often than not.

Hello from the "Ammo School".
I have been quite involved lately with the ATO specialty (not a trade but a specialty) and the specs were rewritten as a result of a study (Needs assessment) conducted in Jun 07. The study proposed 3 options, status quo (Course in UK followed by Canadian conversion training) being the preferred.
I was going to suggest that you access the CMP web site and search the qual "AEXN", however the new specs have not been published yet.
Just a couple of points:
1. This specialty is not reserved for just Log O but also opened to Naval Combat Systems Engineering; Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface; Electrical and Mechanical Engineering; Aerospace Engineering and Engineers
2. Prerequisites: Personnel must meet the following requirements to be selected for this specialty:
a. be the rank of Lt/ SLT/ Capt/Lt(N)
b. have a level II security clearance
c. be medically fit with colour vision and having a medical category of at least CV1
d. must meet universality of service requirements (deployable)
3. Personnel shall be awarded the qualification and achieve certification after:
a. successful completion of British Army Ammunition Technical Officer Course given at DCMT (Defense College Management and Technology) Shrivenham and the Army School of Ammunition, Kineton, UK followed by supplementary phase at CFSAL which provides details of current CF ammunition and procedures specific/unique to the CF; or
b. CFR/SRCP officers who are qualified QL6A or above in the Ammunition Technician (MOC 921) occupation will normally be awarded this qualification. Must be minimum rank of Sgt with 2 years experience.
I could tell you a lot more but I would suggest that you contact the Senior CF ATO (also the trade adviser/employer) in Ottawa directly. Send me a pm if you want to know more and we could probably talk on the phone. Note that I'll be away next week so be patient.
Cheers

Ammo said:
Hello from the "Ammo School".
I have been quite involved lately with the ATO specialty (not a trade but a specialty) and the specs were rewritten as a result of a study (Needs assessment) conducted in Jun 07. The study proposed 3 options, status quo (Course in UK followed by Canadian conversion training) being the preferred.
I was going to suggest that you access the CMP web site and search the qual "AEXN", however the new specs have not been published yet.
Just a couple of points:
1. This specialty is not reserved for just Log O but also opened to Naval Combat Systems Engineering; Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface; Electrical and Mechanical Engineering; Aerospace Engineering and Engineers
2. Prerequisites: Personnel must meet the following requirements to be selected for this specialty:
a. be the rank of Lt/ SLT/ Capt/Lt(N)
b. have a level II security clearance
c. be medically fit with colour vision and having a medical category of at least CV1
d. must meet universality of service requirements (deployable)
3. Personnel shall be awarded the qualification and achieve certification after:
a. successful completion of British Army Ammunition Technical Officer Course given at DCMT (Defense College Management and Technology) Shrivenham and the Army School of Ammunition, Kineton, UK followed by supplementary phase at CFSAL which provides details of current CF ammunition and procedures specific/unique to the CF; or
b. CFR/SRCP officers who are qualified QL6A or above in the Ammunition Technician (MOC 921) occupation will normally be awarded this qualification. Must be minimum rank of Sgt with 2 years experience.
I could tell you a lot more but I would suggest that you contact the Senior CF ATO (also the trade adviser/employer) in Ottawa directly. Send me a pm if you want to know more and we could probably talk on the phone. Note that I'll be away next week so be patient.
Cheers

Great info, thanks. I appreciate the offer to talk on the phone, but I'd rather not waste your time (I'm still at the very least 3 years or so away from giving ATO a shot). I'm just putting out feelers to get an idea of what the job entails. 

Piper - Seeing from your profile, you're right... you are about 3 years away but keep ATO in your mind later on. It is well worth considering taking the extra training (nothing wrong with blowing $%it up).
To all other members - Lots of vacancies, looking for lots of candidates... what the hell... a free trip to UK!!! But very rewarding. For anyone interested, send me a PM

Back