• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ammo Tech as career choice

pob245

Inactive
Reaction score
I've seen the jobs explorer on ammo tech and hoping someone maybe in the trade describe the day to day life.  Video's show guys sweeping for mines with what look like sticks, is that normal?  Disarming IED and things like that, is that special training or special qualification? 

Day-to-day life would depend on where you are posted (ie. Second-line vs Depot).  In summary, your job would involve the life-cycle of ammunition (contracting, procurement, reception, inspection, testing, warehousing, repair, modification, and disposal).  Yes, Ammo Techs are one of the four trades capable of training for IED Defeat/Counter IED.  This is specialized training that is no longer a core requisite, but available for those that show interest. 

Trueman speaks the truth about the job varying depending on where you are posted. IED is becoming core training again though. It may take some time for the transition to occur, but the IED Operators Assistant course will become part of the QL-5 course.

Thanks for the information.  "Second-line" is that supporting the infantry or other front line positions?  Do you tour with them or move in/out resupplying then?

pob245 said:
Do you tour with them or move in/out resupplying then?

I don't recall any Ammo Techs being in our Battalion while on tour. Also resupplying the Platoons would be the responsibility of Coy CQ and it would be TN Pl and/or CQ Staff picking up the supplies from KAF or the FOB and bringing it out to the troops. 

If you are an Ammo Tech qualified for the IED role I would assume you would be with the Engineers.

-Skeletor- said:
I don't recall any Ammo Techs being in our Battalion while on tour. Also resupplying the Platoons would be the responsibility of Coy CQ and it would be TN Pl and/or CQ Staff picking up the supplies from KAF or the FOB and bringing it out to the troops. 

If you are an Ammo Tech qualified for the IED role I would assume you would be with the Engineers.

And why would you assume this?

NFLD Sapper said:
And why would you assume this?

I assumed the Engineers controlled all the IED type assets. I'm guessing I'm wrong, I apologize I shouldn't have put in my guess.

-Skeletor- said:
I assumed the Engineers controlled all the IED type assets. I'm guessing I'm wrong, I apologize I shouldn't have put in my guess.

IIRC we are CoE for it though....

No worries Skeletor just wanted you to qualify your statement.....

From the self flagellation and trade hate I've seen from the ATs that post here, I'd avoid it as a career choice at all cost.

pob245, are you considering ammo tech? Do you live near a base? If you live near a base where ammo techs are posted it is possible that a meeting can be arranged so that you can discuss training, postings, etc with them.

ammocat said:
...the IED Operators Assistant course will become part of the QL-5 course.

With a segment of the QL-5 course being run in Gagetown?

Trueman said:
With a segment of the QL-5 course being run in Gagetown?

Was wondering about that since the EOD school has moved to CFSME........

Yes, the EOD school is part of CFSME and currently they are running all the #2 Assistant Courses and Operator Courses. The ammo school has received some direction on incorporating the #2 Operator Assistant course into the QL-5 package.

Initially, AT's will be sent on the courses in Gagetown and currently pers that are on OJPR (non-QL-5) are being permitted to go on the #2 course. There is a TP board for the QL-5 course this year that will have to look at how the #2 course can be incorporated into the QL-5 course. Once that is determined, there is also the requirement to get certain training resources, which also may take some time so it may be a while before you actually see the #2 course being added to the ammo course. There was also some talk of adding additional serials to Gagetowns course load so that the QL-5 course could take the training in Gagetown.

Everything is in the very early, initial stages of planning, so there may be some changes and adjustments before the final solution is worked out.

Actually, the information was for someone at Borden considering that career who didn't have access to computer - I've passed along the comments and suggestions.
Thanks for helping us.

If someone is interested in Borden, have them contact the school and arrangements can be made for them to visit the school and possibly the ammo depot. They can talk to a variety of people with a variety of experiences in the trade. There is currently a QL-3 course in house that they can talk to about the course.

Trueman said:
Day-to-day life would depend on where you are posted (ie. Second-line vs Depot).  In summary, your job would involve the life-cycle of ammunition (contracting, procurement, reception, inspection, testing, warehousing, repair, modification, and disposal).  Yes, Ammo Techs are one of the four trades capable of training for IED Defeat/Counter IED.  This is specialized training that is no longer a core requisite, but available for those that show interest.
I would take out contracting, procurement out of the statement above.  The most the trade has to offer and what you will do at every base is issuing, receipting, warehouseing and inspections.  the rest is a sometimes thing and that sometimes is usually very scarce. 

Kat Stevens said:
From the self flagellation and trade hate I've seen from the ATs that post here, I'd avoid it as a career choice at all cost.
me too.  if i got to do it again I'd be a cook

-Skeletor- said:

You are absolutely correct. The CIED Sqn is force generated out of the CERs with slight augmentation from the ATs, Avn Techs, and Cl Divs, but is mostly manned by Engineers. In theatre, the Sqn belongs to the Task Force Engineer.

Good Day all

So what is new?  been a way for a while due to trg?  EX Done WOOHOO!!.  I had to keep a low profile due to some of the comments that I may have said on here to people and now she (or he) is in charge!  That sucks big time when you have to tiptoe around because of sins from the past LOL.  Story of my Life

So what is new in the trade?  Any rumours to being able to go directly to Air Weapons when it opens?

Back