• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things LASIK surgery (aircrew/other -- merged)

Judging by the "what the CF is buying this month" looking for a contractor to conduct eye correction this is just the beginning.  Must have looked at the Americans and what they are accomplishing.  About time too.  Maybe there might be hope for me to be able to smash two of my four eyes to death with a hammer down the road.  Would make DC work safer on ship for those of us afflicted by poor eyesight.  Will wait and see, but it is obvious the worm has turned for the better with the attitude of the proceedure.

I applied to be infantry and was just told today that I was a V4 so I have to pick a non combat trade. I'm un sure of the trade I would like but I had my heart set on infantry, which has me thinking I should get laser eye surgery. Would the army pay for the laser eye surgery? Would it be hard for me to switch trades afterwards? And how long would it take me to make that switch. I've looked at a few threads here and haven't really found a direct answer to this. Any info would be great about switching trades or laser eye surgery.

The CF won't pay for LASIK/PRK.

If you really want Infantry, get the LASIK done, tell the CFRC an they may make you wait a certain period of time before you can do another medical and have the eye vision retested, etc.

Would it be easier to pick a non combat trade, do my bmq and then get the LASIK and switch trades? Can you switch trades?

Regular or Reserve?

How long are you willing to be in the non-combat arms trade before getting your move to infantry?

Are you sure you want to go into a trade you don't want, with all the commitments that come with it, while you wait?

joeforts said:
Would it be easier to pick a non combat trade, do my bmq and then get the LASIK and switch trades? Can you switch trades?

Yes you can apply for an OT; but I can't tell you(since I don't know) if it's a guarenteed thing or how long it would take to go through, etc.

If all you want is Infantry; don't waste anyone's time by going into a trade you have no intention of staying in.  Just get LASIK done; than back to the CFRC an inform them.

Either way you are going to be waiting; so would you rather spend that time training for a trade you don't want or continue doing what you're doing already untill the time comes?

Regular, I'm not sure how much lasik costs but I'm sure its pretty expensive, I owe the banks about 17,000, so I'm kinda backed into a corner and getting the news today that I'm a V4 sure is a kick in the nuts on top of that.

I'd be willing to wait, depending on the trade....

joeforts said:
Regular, I'm not sure how much lasik costs but I'm sure its pretty expensive, I owe the banks about 17,000, so I'm kinda backed into a corner and getting the news today that I'm a V4 sure is a kick in the nuts on top of that.

I'd be willing to wait, depending on the trade....

Does the CFRC know about this debt? An say that you can still come in even though you have financial/personal issues at this time?

If you can't afford LASIK at this time, what makes you think you can afford it after Basic? You won't exactly be making a lot of cash as a recruit an that money would be better spent paying off debt IMO.

They don't, I didn't think it was relevant. I wouldn't mind getting it done, it just seems like it would take a few more months for me to get into the army and I don't think I can wait much longer.

My real question would be could I switch trade in my first year? I'm gonna get the lasik done no matter what.

Yes you can switch trades in your first year, however it will be a little hard to convince them with a V4 eyesight on record why you want a trade that requires V3 vision. Good luck with that one.

joeforts said:
My real question would be could I switch trade in my first year? I'm gonna get the lasik done no matter what.

Not likely.

Time for you to do some reading as to what has already been said about Laser eye surgery and you will find out what you haven't asked yet.  You'll also find all your answers about changing Trades or Trade Reassignment if you do a SEARCH.  You may also want to read about the Recruiting Process, BMQ, SQ, some of the Trades Training and a heck of a lot more.  

Run away gun said:
Yes you can switch trades in your first year, however it will be a little hard to convince them with a V4 eyesight on record why you want a trade that requires V3 vision. Good luck with that one.

Its doubtful he can even start the process with V4. As soon as the powers that be see the MedCat, doors will close to V3 trades.

joeforts: When you get LASIK, expect to be on a Temporary Medical Category from anywhere from 3 to 6 months after the surgery. The Forces don't take chances after LVC, it took me 2 months to get the vision required and medical certification to even drive, and another 2 months to get my medical category changed from V4 to V1.

If you really want this job then you should wait and not go into something that you won't be happy in. Life is too short, and the time it takes to wait for eye surgery is much less than putting years of training into a trade to turn your thoughts to something you had already wanted in the first place. Also getting laser eye surgery for any trade no matter what will help you, especially on the ranges and in just in everyday military life. My eyes were pretty bad and now they are 20/15 each and 20/10 both together. The tv screen is fuzzy because my eyes are soo good and it's annoying if I'm not watching HD or Plasma. My shooting scores went up on the range (49/49, mainly because I wasn't wearing glasses with water/sweat/ dirt getting on them or getting knocked around) and when I'm out in the field it's easier to spot things and my night vision is superb. I am glad I had the procedure done before, waited for what I wanted, and I am very happy that I was patient. As well, if you go to some places and you are already in the military, in some cases just the fact it's for applying to the military, you will get a 500$-1000$ discount. (Young/Eglinton Lasik). Just some food for thought.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1195579
Canadian soldiers in line for laser eye surgery
Defence department aims to better equip troops for combat

Tom Blackwell, National Post 
Published: Monday, January 19, 2009

Canada's military is moving toward surgically enhancing the vision of its soldiers, sailors and airmen, hoping to better equip them for combat and other demanding jobs -- without the hassle of eyeglasses or contact lenses.

The Department of National Defence recently issued a tender for contractors to develop a detailed laser eye surgery program, noting that corrected vision is particularly important in certain military trades.

The operation would give troops in the field an advantage over having to wear spectacles or contacts, said Dr. Walter Delpero, who was the Canadian Forces' chief of opthalmology until he retired from military service in 1996.

"The big question is, what happens if you lose your corrective vision," said Dr. Delpero, who is now in private practice and teaches at the University of Ottawa.

"How would you manage without your appliance? You've hurt yourself, you've fallen, you've been involved in a scuffle, whatever the case is, and you lost your contacts. How would you be able to take care of yourself, take care of your crew?"

The navy is particularly interested in the treatment, as a splash of seawater over a sailor's glasses can significantly reduce his or her visibility, he said.

In fact, most other NATO countries have already started offering the surgery, said the opthalmologist.

Dr. Delpero said Canada has taken its time studying the procedure and its side effects, a "prudent" approach designed to ensure the operation would do no harm to troops.

A National Defence spokeswoman stressed that the department has made no final decisions on whether to offer the surgery, which carries a price tag for civilians in the range of $3,000 to $6,000, and would not comment on the project.

However, the tender documents suggested a decision had already been made, following a 2005 recommendation by the Forces' surgeon-general, and approval by two key internal bodies: the armed forces council and standard-of-care committee.

"It was felt that refractive eye surgery would elevate certain serving members to an enhanced operationally fit status, eliminating some of the drawbacks that corrective eye wear has in an operational setting," said the posting.

The tender calls for development of a program that would cover everything from choosing appropriate candidates to dealing with any complications or liability issues.

It is unclear whether the procedure would be performed only on those in combat-type roles, or offered more widely.

Dr. Delpero said it would likely be rolled out first to those at the "sharp end of the stick" -- troops most likely to be operating in the field.

But if it turns out instead to be a perquisite available to any member of the Forces, that would be a questionable use of money, suggested one retired army officer and military critic.

"If this is to be done for operational reasons, why not? If this is going to give someone bionic vision to kill a Taliban a hundred miles away, do it," said Michel Drapeau, an Ottawa lawyer and retired infantry colonel. "But if it's going to be a discretionary benefit, where anybody (can get it) ... I have a problem with that."

Laser-eye refractive surgery is most commonly used to correct vision problems like near-sightedness, far-sightedness and astigmatism: distorted vision at any distance.

Surgeons use a laser to make permanent changes to the shape of the cornea, which plays a major role in the eye's ability to focus.

Complications, including infection, night glare, under- or over-correction and scarring, are known to occur in less than one per cent of cases, said Dr. Delpero, who does not perform the surgery himself.

The U.S. Army launched its "Warfighter Refractive Eye Surgery Program" about seven years ago, seeing it as a way to improve "combat readiness," Colonel William Madigan, an army spokesman, was quoted as saying in 2002.

"If your glasses steam up or fall off, you've become a liability," Col. Madigan told The Washington Post at the time. "You're no longer part of the solution - you're part of the problem."

Still, the program is voluntary for soldiers who have less than perfect vision, and is not an attempt to create an "Uebermensch," or superman, Col. Madigan said.

"If this is to be done for operational reasons, why not? If this is going to give someone bionic vision to kill a Taliban a hundred miles away, do it," said Michel Drapeau, an Ottawa lawyer and retired infantry colonel. "But if it's going to be a discretionary benefit, where anybody (can get it) ... I have a problem with that."

Uh, yeah, nice preparation for that interview.    ::)

Is there anyone here close enough to the project to give us an idea of when the CF is planning to implement this and to whom (yes I read the article, no I don't trust any media story related to the CF). I'm someone who suffers from crummy vision, and subsidised surgery would be...well....awesome.

Michael O`Leary said:
Uh, yeah, nice preparation for that interview.    ::)

"If this is to be done for operational reasons, why not? If this is going to give someone bionic vision to kill a Taliban a hundred miles away, do it," said Michel Drapeau, an Ottawa lawyer and retired infantry colonel. "But if it's going to be a discretionary benefit, where anybody [can get it] ... I have a problem with that."

I wonder if he though about the old days, way before his time, when glasses were first invented.  If it were a discretionary benefit, where anybody in the military could be fitted with glasses.........would he have a problem with that?

George Wallace said:
I wonder if he though about the old days, way before his time, when glasses were first invented.  If it were a discretionary benefit, where anybody in the military could be fitted with glasses.........would he have a problem with that?

My guess is in those days the common foot soldier was more or less cannon fodder.  Forming square or line isn't my idea of a smart battle plan, and if honour and tradition dictates the weapon equivalent of fisticuffs, then maybe the glasses were the least of their concerns.  Besides, the comparison isn't entirely accurate because back then there was no alternative for correcting your vision.  Now we have three methods to correct vision, and some are not only cheaper than others, but they also have shorter recovery times as well.

Piper said:
Is there anyone here close enough to the project to give us an idea of when the CF is planning to implement this and to whom (yes I read the article, no I don't trust any media story related to the CF). I'm someone who suffers from crummy vision, and subsidised surgery would be...well....awesome.

Development is ongoing.  If you can read AFC RoDs, it was presented in April 2008.  My personal take is that it will not be for everyone - if you meet the standard for your trade there's no need for the CF to pay to upgrade your vision; if you've fallen below the trade requirement and are occupationally qualified it might be a worthwhile investment for DND/CF to make.

But it is still under development, so take anything with a grain of salt.  A large one.

Back