• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things LASIK surgery (aircrew/other -- merged)

Yes it is true about the laser eye surgery, but there are restrictions on which surgery you can have and there is a wait period as well.  For anyone serving or wanting to enlist, who wants to be a pilot and has been waiting for this.  Please call your local Med Section, or the Recruiting centre. BEFORE doing anything, or spending thousands of dollars.

We will be more than happy to discuss the new regulations with you.

Just wanted to get this out there

Your Friendly Neighborhood Med Tech

I apologize if this has been posted already, but certain types of surgery have been approved for aspiring pilots, who in the past did not meet the vision requirements

edit: yep, I'm an idiot this has been posted already, and a whole month late too.  Sorry guys

Effective 20 March 2008 the Chief of Air Staff endorsed the recommendation from the Aeromedical Policy & Standards Committee to approve laser refractive surgery for CF aircrew including pilots.

The following procedures have been approved:

- WFG (Wavefront guided) or conventional PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy)
- WFG or conventional LASEK (Laser epithelial Keratomileusis) or Epi-LASIK (Epithelial LASIK)
- WFG or conventional LASIK (Laser assisted in situ Keratomileusis) either with mechanical or femtosecond keratome.

The following procedures are not approved:

- RK (Radial Keratotomy)
- Any corneal reshaping procedures

In all cases, applicants and serving members must still meet the vision standards for CF aircrew. As the CF does not yet include laser refractive surgery in its spectrum of care, both the decision to undertake such surgery and the administrative arrangements are the responsibility of the applicant or CF member.

Already posted, however the CANFORGEN didn't include the types of LASIK/PRK that are approved. Mods can probably combine this into the other thread for a one-stop shop on "Can I get laser eye surgery?" questions.

All,

This is the news I've been waiting for since age 11!!  I'm 33 now but will do whatever it takes to become a pilot in the CF.  I'll go back to the CFRC and chat with them about how to move forward.

Thanks,
CPL Jay

I'm not able to verify this information, but this is what I found regarding the types of surgery accepted.

http://www.cadet-world.com/cwforums/showthread.php?p=775034

"6. Acceptable refractive surgery procedures for serving CF pilots are as follows: Wavefront Guided (WFG) Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK), WFG surface ablation procedures such as LASEK and Epi-LASIK and WFG Laser Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) using a femtosecond keratome.
7. Conventional (non WFG) refractive surgery and LASIK using a mechanical keratome are not recommended for pilots but may be acceptable for non-pilot aircrew."

Note the key words in your quote........

Urban said:
"6. Acceptable refractive surgery procedures for serving CF pilots are as follows:

CDN Aviator said:
Note the key words in your quote........

"6. Acceptable refractive surgery for serviing CF pilots are as follows:

Gotta love it when only half the info is being circulated.  It is the same standard for pilot applicants.  Gotta read the whole CANFORGEN carefully, it's in there.

Urban said:
I'm not able to verify this information, but this is what I found regarding the types of surgery accepted.

http://www.cadet-world.com/cwforums/showthread.php?p=775034

"6. Acceptable refractive surgery procedures for serving CF pilots are as follows: Wavefront Guided (WFG) Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK), WFG surface ablation procedures such as LASEK and Epi-LASIK and WFG Laser Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) using a femtosecond keratome.
7. Conventional (non WFG) refractive surgery and LASIK using a mechanical keratome are not recommended for pilots but may be acceptable for non-pilot aircrew."

Consider the information verified, for the most part ( i'm at home and don't the the Regulations with me).  But as I said above please do not do anything ref laser eye surgery  until you have contacted your local recruiting center and spoken with them and the MED STAFF.  ( I think I'm starting to sound like a broken record, nor more posting on this subject for me, before I get a headache)

jzaidi1 said:
All,

This is the news I've been waiting for since age 11!!  I'm 33 now but will do whatever it takes to become a pilot in the CF.  I'll go back to the CFRC and chat with them about how to move forward.

Thanks,
CPL Jay

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A panel of medical advisers -- mostly eye doctors wearing glasses -- listened to tales of woe and wonder Friday from people who sought to get rid of their specs through LASIK surgery.

What was clear by day's end: The vast majority of people undergoing laser eye surgery benefit and are happy, but a small fraction, perhaps fewer than 1 percent, suffer serious, life-changing side effects: worse vision, painful dry eye, glare, inability to drive at night.

Advisers to the Food and Drug Administration heard about a dozen of those stories Friday -- including a father reading his son's suicide note -- and then concluded that today's warnings for would-be LASIK recipients should be made more clear.

Another lesson: Choose a surgeon carefully.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/04/25/lasik.surgery.ap/index.html

As the article says, chose your surgeon carefully and good luck.

Yep, I definately had to weigh the pros and cons of getting it done. 1 week later its awesome, but I paid a pretty penny for it.

Word of advice? $199 an eye does not sound like a good investment, considering an eye exam on civvie street is 75  bucks.

199 per eye?? thats very cheap. Here on the island, i think its around 2000$ for both. A few years ago it was 3 grand.

Im currently using Ortho-K contact lenses.  These were new to the airforce as of 2 years ago. They dont like them lol.  Ive had to have mine out for over 6 months now before eye testing this year.

2000 bucks for 2 sets of lenses :( but completely reversable and safe :)  I can always do lasik down the road.

I got Wavefront PRK done last August.  The recovery time for PRK was much longer than Lasik (1 week of hell and 4 months full recovery vs. 1-2days hell and a 1-2 weeks for full recovery).  For PRK, the first week was pure hell.  Don't expect to be doing anything.  That includes, reading, watching tv, or just plain looking.  You are seriously that disabled.  I had to go back for checkups for a total of 4 months before the vision tightened to better than 20/20.  That may sound like a rediculously long time, but I could see well enough to drive after 2 weeks.  I am VERY pleased with the results, but I want people to be realistic.  It is very expensive (mine was 3500$ for 2 eyes + checkups), you will be out of comission for some time (much less if you go the Lasik route), and there is some initial discomfort involved.  I chose PRK because it is a more robust surgery that is less prone to infection, and there is less chance of injury if you are very physically active (lasik leaves you with a flap that, if hit hard enough - I mean really hard - there is a small possibility that the flap could shift). 

The surgery itself lasted maybe 5 minutes tops (lasik 10-15 I believe).  It is a bit disorienting.  I even had an extreme reaction: ended up passing out, then puking my guts out when I woke up.  That is extremely rare by the way.  Apparently, my brain didn't like the sensory overload of getting zapped in the face with laser pulses.  You would think I hated the experience, but I would do it again in a hearbeat!  So quit being a baby and get 'er done  :p

And for the love of god, don't go cheap on your eyes! 199$ !?!?!  Why do I have images of Dr. Nick Riviera from the Simpsons....

"Hiya everybody!"

I've done the research (civvy side) and have scratched the surface on military side and am considering having either Wavefront PRK or Wavefront LASIK surgery done to correct my vision. I have researched the hell out of it and feel confident that this is the right choice for me for work and pleasure.
I understand that the CF still considers this elective and that authorization is required from the CoC before having this done. I also understand the carreer implications if things go south.
What I am curious about is that I had heard rumours about a 6 month TCat that follows, with driving restrictions etc. Can anyone clarify this? The TCat is not a huge hiccup as according to the big crystal ball of uncertainty I am not scehduled for anything earth moving within the next year or so.
If anyone has any additional info that could be useful, please it on over.

I recently had it done (2.5 months ago) and underwent Wavefront PRK. I spoke to a PA before leaving theatre, and was told a TCat was not required. I had my surgery done while I was on leave, and had about 4 weeks to heal before I was on duty. You are correct, there are driving restrictions. You will not be allowed to drive anything until you are cleared by an MO. I was ahead of the curve for a little bit, so I booked a 15 min medical at the CDU, got their paperwork filled out by the Focus Eye people, as well as having a letter drafted from FE stating my pre and current post op vision, using all those wierd medical acronyms. Doc asked if I had any night vision problems, or blurring, and signed me off with a chit.

Your med cat will still reflect your old vision (mine was V4) until you complete a full medical. The CDU in Kingston was extremely helpful, as I assume PRK/Lasik is something that is happening fairly regularly now.

Hey everyone.

I apologize if this has been done (and I bet it has), but then my skills as a Forum searcher lack.

Quick background: I'm a 22 year old security worker who applied to the Forces as an armoured crewman about 2 months ago. Last Wednesday, I did the processing (Aptitude, Medical, Interview) successfully. However, I wear glasses only when I have to, because every pair of glasses I've worn have really been very uncomfortable on my ears/head around the ears. So, I've considered doing laser eye surgery. I can do it as early as Thursday, however...

During my searches, I've read debate on the Airforce's policy on corrected or assisted vision, but I'm curious on the Army's policy. I spoke to a recruiter about this same question, and they "think it's the same as the Airforce, with a 6 month probationary period" after the procedure, before which you cannot reapply.

And further, during my searches I read that the military is actually offering doctors to do the procedure. Why would there be a 6 month wait if you can do it while you're a member?

I might just be an idiot, and I apologize in advance if that's the case. Any help will be great. Thanks!

There is time needed for your eyes to stablize, depending on the procedure you get done. 6 months is a little bit overboard, but aircrew requirements are a little more strict. The only army policy I've seen is a paragraph in the Driver Regulations which references Medical Directive 3-92. The MD states (paraphrased) that the vision has to be stable, no night vision problems, and not taking any drops (the steroid drops you take for 6 weeks after).

Since your medical is done, your category is already in the system, so this might effect your wait for enrollment. One of the recruiters that float around here might be able to be more clear.

Excellent. Simply not doing the surgery has come to mind, but I wouldn't mind dropping the money before training, because I feel I'd be a much better soldier.

Just had mine done on July 18th.
I underwent the custom wavefront PRK as LASIK wasn't right for me. The first 4 days post surgery were the worst as the contact lens that they install for PRK got quite irritating. I could drive, legally, after 6 days. I took the antibiotic drops for one week, the steroid drops for 3 weeks and now use artificial tears whenever I find my eyes getting a dry feeling, especially at the end of the day. I am now, approximately 7 weeks later, in possession of 20/25 vision with no restrictions. I saw the MO and handed in my 4 week post op report and am now looking at my vision category dropping from a V3 to V1. After my next check-up in November I suspect the rating will be even higher.
Before the surgery I wrote a memo and received authorization from the CO and made an appointment with the MO to discuss any medical issues. It was that simple.
The hit to the pocketbook is worth it to me and is also tax deductable.

PuckChaser said:
Since your medical is done, your category is already in the system, so this might effect your wait for enrollment. One of the recruiters that float around here might be able to be more clear.

Agreed, this will definately affect your wait for enrollment, as you will be delayed min 3 months.  Please contact the CFRC Med Staff where your file is and speak to them if you are thinking about doing this.

Back