• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Cuba (Castro, politics, etc.)

They are saying on the news that Fidel will continue on as the leader of the Communist party.  Keeping a firm/feeble hand on Raoul's policies....

Should the US blockade until Fidel is completely out of the way OR, should they open up - offer some sort of olive branch to Raoul?

While I've heard that Raoul is a pragmatist, far more than Fidel and one might assume that a deal can be made (If Obama wins the presidency he just might) there no pressing need to.  Cuban expats see light at the end of the tunnel.  Perhaps there is another "revolution" brewing.

After all that I think T6 is correct. Keep a hand on the tiller but don't change a thing.

geo said:
They are saying on the news that Fidel will continue on as the leader of the Communist party.  Keeping a firm/feeble hand on Raoul's policies....

Didn't I essentially say the same thing when I compared Fidel Castro to Deng Xiaoping earlier in the thread?

Why do I have a feeling that if Castro has stepped down/effectively retired, (and is still alive contrary to what T6 thinks), that he may still be effectively influencing his brother Raul's decisions and pulling the strings from behind the scenes, even if he has ailing health? This case with Castro might parallel that of China's Deng Xiaoping influencing Jiang Zhemin in the mid-1990s before Deng died and when Jiang was still president, even when Deng's health slowly deteriorated till his death.

Ahhhhhhh crap. i got to cuba in 12 days. hopefully the glorious revolution does not start while im there!!

karl28 said:
      I am hoping for the Cuban people that Democracy will help  pave the road to their new future . Than maybe they can have the embargo lifted on Cuba at the same time . 

The US trades with North Korea and China. Two commi regimes that have a far worse human rights record than Cuba. The whole embargo thing is a joke and just the US posturing. If Cuba had oil you bet they would be great friends....or cheap labor....something for them to benefit.

An ease of the embargo would help Cuba move forward and reform.  US policy regarding Cuba has been more or less consistent for over forty years and produced no fruit; the time is right for some kind of policy change.  US-Cuban relations are stuck a Cold War context that is less and less appropriate as the years pass.   

ArcadeFire said:
The US trades with North Korea and China. Two commi regimes that have a far worse human rights record than Cuba. The whole embargo thing is a joke and just the US posturing. If Cuba had oil you bet they would be great friends....or cheap labor....something for them to benefit.

Arcade, I don't think the United States trades at all with North Korea aside from supplying some humanitarian aid, though South Korea/the ROK does trade with Pyongyang on a certain level, including opening rail links between the two countries, IIRC.  And you forgot to mention Vietnam as the other "commie"/one-party regime in Southeast Asia that the US trades with.

Bane said:
An ease of the embargo would help Cuba move forward and reform.  US policy regarding Cuba has been more or less consistent for over forty years and produced no fruit; the time is right for some kind of policy change.  US-Cuban relations are stuck a Cold War context that is less and less appropriate as the years pass.   

- All Castro had to do, after nationalizing U.S. owned property, was pay the USA a measely five cents on the dollar for that which he seized.  That was it.

But, no.  Sociopaths don't reason the way you and I do, and he then unleashed that pscho Che on Africa and South America.  Che was a competent enough executioner, but was an incompetent operational commander. He got a whole bunch of his African and South American followers slaughtered through his own stupidity.  The CIA wanted him kept alive because he was doing the revolution more harm than the CIA was, but some of their hot headed Cuban operatives Exceeded their authority.

- The only thing Castro has ever been right about was biofuels driving up the price of food in the third world. He has kept Cuba in the dark ages.  A vibrant, talented and intelligent people marking time for fifty years.

Until the current Cuban government gives all the expats property back with interest, re-opens the gambling dens and whore houses of the US mob and gets rid of public health care, the US will never normalize relations PERIOD

fraserdw said:
Until the current Cuban government gives all the expats property back with interest, re-opens the gambling dens and ***** houses of the US mob and gets rid of public health care, the US will never normalize relations PERIOD

- Put money on that?

;D

Well it depends on the next mid term senate and congress elections if the expats continue to vote for the Dubya party then they will be shut out and a Democratic president (if he has leadership skills) will be able to go ahead and get this monkey of the collective US back.

fraserdw said:
Well it depends on the next mid term senate and congress elections if the expats continue to vote for the Dubya party then they will be shut out and a Democratic president (if he has leadership skills) will be able to go ahead and get this monkey of the collective US back.

- Like all of the other Dem Presidents have since 1960?

It was JFK who authorized the Bay Of Pigs, right?

Raul Castro meets top Vatican official

HAVANA (AFP) - Cuba's new President Raul Castro on Tuesday held his first diplomatic talks since taking power, meeting the Vatican's visiting number two,
amid signs restrictions on the press may be easing. The former defense chief, who took over from his brother Fidel Castro on Sunday, shed his traditional military
garb as he wore a blue business suit, white shirt and tie for his meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Tarciscio Bertone at the Palace of the Revolution.

No details were immediately released about the meeting, but it followed calls by the Vatican for reform. Cuban dissidents have urged Bertone to call on the new
president to release political prisoners. Bertone earlier said he expected "clarity" and "sincerity" in his talks with the new leader. "I have come here at a special,
extraordinary moment," he told a joint news conference with Cuban Foreign Minister Felipe Perez Roque. Bertone hailed as "positive" Havana's recent freeing of
certain prisoners, but said he had not called for amnesties.

In an earlier meeting with Catholic reporters, Bertone said Cuban officials had promised him "more openness for the press, the radio and, in exceptional cases,
the television as well," according to Italy's Catholic news agency Sir. "Everything starts with a promise," Bertone was quoted as saying by the agency, "but we
hope there'll be an opening, because nothing is impossible."

In a sign that press restrictions may be easing, the official newspaper Granma published Tuesday for the first time ever a statement from Cuba's Catholic Church
-- on the parliament's election of Raul Castro on Sunday. They said they were praying the new president and parliament would "move forward decisively these
transcendent measures that we know must be gradual, but which can satisfy the longing and worries expressed by Cubans."

Cuban television also covered a Bertone press conference from start to finish. Bertone's visit marks the 10th anniversary of a historic visit to Cuba by the late pope, John Paul II.

Castro, 76, Cuba's highest-ranking general and chief of the country's Revolutionary Armed Forces for nearly 50 years, took over after his 81-year-old brother
announced last week he would step down due to poor health. Known as a pragmatist with solid backing from the powerful military, Raul Castro promised to stay
faithful to the Cuban revolution and to consult his brother on major issues. And he said he would remain vigilant in the face of Cuba's powerful northern neighbor the United States.

National Assembly speaker Ricardo Alarcon, 70, said Tuesday that Raul's election was "a moment of great historical importance," because the Cuban people sent
"a strong message of unity" to nay-sayers like the United States. He said in a television interview, "there's a combination of generations that is assuring the continuity
of the revolution. And, something very important, the founder of the revolution (Fidel Castro) is still present." Cuba was facing "a new period of challenges," Alarcon said,
adding that among the measures the new leadership would undertake was "restructuring the central government, ministries and central state organisms to improve their efficiency."

The US administration said Monday it would maintain its decades-long embargo on Cuba, adding there was no realistic hope of genuine reform given the lingering presence
of hardline communist figures. Some of the 27 EU member states, led by Spain which normalized relations with Havana last year, favor definitively dropping sanctions which
were suspended in 2005. The European Union also said it was willing to engage in a "constructive political dialogue" with Raul Castro.

CougarDaddy said:
Arcade, I don't think the United States trades at all with North Korea aside from supplying some humanitarian aid, though South Korea/the ROK does trade with Pyongyang on a certain level, including opening rail links between the two countries, IIRC.  And you forgot to mention Vietnam as the other "commie"/one-party regime in Southeast Asia that the US trades with.

Really? I thought the US and NK traded barbs constantly. But you're right I forgot Vietnam....in any case the emargo against Cuba is only depriving them of a nice place to vacation and leaving it to Canadian tourists. Not to mention cigars. Just end the embargo and show that you are capable of being rational and not holding grudges is what I think.

- It was the Cuban response of irrationality after their revolution that started the whole thing.  You can't seize private property then expect the victimized companies - or their nation - to do business with you again, ever, until compensation is paid.  Cuba has suffered at the hands of Cubans.

TCBF said:
- It was the Cuban response of irrationality after their revolution that started the whole thing.  You can't seize private property then expect the victimized companies - or their nation - to do business with you again, ever, until compensation is paid.  Cuba has suffered at the hands of Cubans.

Well if they're trading with Vietnam after being at war with them for a number of years then they can trade with Cuba. And if they seize US owned property again then just invade them and get it over with.

ArcadeFire said:
....in any case the emargo against Cuba is only depriving them of a nice place to vacation and leaving it to Canadian tourists. Not to mention cigars. Just end the embargo and show that you are capable of being rational and not holding grudges is what I think.

Agreed. However, I don't believe Castro wants an end to the embargo for the simple reason that commercial trade leads to exposure to new ideas and ways of seeing the world. It seems to me that Castro and the Communist Party are so intent on holding a monopoly on power that they are willing to deprive the Cuban people of a higher standard of living. Washington meanwhile doesn't want to end the embargo because they don't want to be the ones to blink first after all this time  ::)  Perhaps after Castro finally dies, Washington will make overtures, not before.

Richie

I find some of this speculation amusing.  Raul Castro has more or less been running the country for the past few years.  Do seriously think that there are going to be any changes?  I don't.  At least not until Raul Castro also passes on, and that isn't to be likely for quite some time.

Back