• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things CF Firefighter (merged)

What about Fire protection duties.  Do you do any pressure testing on fire systems, inspections etc. ? are you part of any of the attack teams, or is that a Navy job ? I gues i am wondering if us AF types are just their to protect the helicopter on board, or do we also make sure all the protection apparatus is up to snuff etc.
This is great that you guys are able to answer all these Q's thanks a ton

cheers

PV

This is all part of our maintenance, we do monthly, semi-annual and annual maintenance on all the fitted systems onboard as well as all the extinguishers and breathing apparatus. When at sea the ship is divided into 3 section bases plus 1 manning pool during an emergency station. Depending on where the fire might be will dictate which attack team will proceed to the fire. Keeping in mind that the entire ship's company is trained to fight fires they are mostly the ones that will do the firefighting onboard and you are right, the helicopter is the main reason for firefighters onboard. It was proven on the old
''St-Laurent'' class ships that didn't have a flight deck that the navy could function without firefighters onboard.
Hope this helps..

Cheers...

If you decide to join the CF as a FR FTR, you should be prepared to spend some time at PRETC before occupational training.

buddyhfx said:
''St-Laurent'' class ships that didn't have a flight deck that the navy could function without firefighters onboard.

St Laurent Class???  Not only is someone showing their experience, but their age :dontpanic:

Yes, it is nice to have another Fire Fighter give input on this thread.  But don't forget the bonus part of being attached to the ship that we don't have elsewhere in the Fire Service (no, not the "sliders"), having the Sea Pay!  The longer time serving with a ship (in terms of years), the more you make.....right buddyhfx ;)

As was mentioned earlier, it's all about the individual's personal attitude.  It's no secret that it's part of the trade, so you may as well make the best of it.  

Chimo!

As I posted this, another post came up.  Welcome Rusty!
Now this is a problem that continues with all trades in the CF.  When I graduated from Cornwallis, I was sent to Borden to become a member of the CFFA PAT Platoon.  There I waited 8 months for my course, while watching many others go through.  This was back in 89-90, so little has changed, other than the mandate and name of PRETC.  My heart goes out to everyone over there, as they were all chomping at the bit to start an exciting career, just to hit a wall.  Hang in there, because it is worth it, but I'm sure you're getting sick of hearing that.  

Chimo!

Thanks Heatwave, I don't know if this is a compliment or not.......... Anyway, I'll take the experience as a compliment but as far as the age goes........hummm...loll. You're right, sea pay is great and I just can't wait to go back to collect the 12 yrs incentive. Hopefully on the west coast this time...

Cheers...

So the CFFA (Canadian Forces Fire Academy ? if i have my acronyms right) has their own PAT platoon ? what goes down while you are attached to that ? what do you learn to drive during driver training ? anything aside from the obvious Fire apparatus (of varying types).

Buddy have you done any stints with the NBC Coy in your career ? This sure beats the Recruiting Centre!

Cheers

PV

CFFA doesn't have its own PAT Pl.  PRETC holds PATs for CFFA, CFMPA, CFSEME, CFSAL and CFSCE.  Once you arrive at PRETC, their OPS Cell determines what pre training you needand then you whatever training or OJT until you course starts.

speaking of accronyms, ha.  Alright cool, thanks.

cheers

PV

As far as Pat Pl is concern, I for one was lucky enough that I didn't have to be on it because I was VOT, but I understand that if you have to be on it, they'll try to get you on any trade related courses such as your basic driver training ''BDT''. As far as I'm concern, this is probably the only course you can take before your 3's. This does not include the various fire apparatus as such, this is done at the firehall part of your OJT4 package. During your 3's course the only thing that is involved with fire apparatus is pumping operations. And no PV, I haven't done any stint with NBC Coy and I don't intent to, lucky for me, I'm in my option years now and if I have to choose, I'll take a sea tour before NBC Coy.

Cheers...

Hmm, just wondering what people thought.  I have a HAZMAT cert. right now, figured it would be relevant.  Anyhow, could to know!

cheers

PV

Don't get me wrong PV, this is a personal opinion. HazMat is not my bag, it is part of my job if I have to deal with it, but that's it. What I'm saying is that I'm more comfortable dealing with shipboard emergencies (which might involve HazMat also) on a daily basis then I'm am with NBC warfare or emergencies. Bottom line is if I have to pick between the two postings, 3 yrs at sea or 3 yrs at NBC Coy, I'll take the sea tour but just like any Firefighter, my heart and soul belong to the Firehall. Of course this is my personal opinion..........

Cheers...

Buddy,

Ya, i figured as much.  Given your Navy background, that would only make sense.  I was also reading Maple Leaf (i think) the other day, and it mentioned the new Canadian Forces Fire Marshall.  Specifically that we was a FF, then took some Fire related University program in the states, then commissioned.  Anybody have any info on this program ? With my current education, maybe i re-commission or somthting  ;D

cheers

PV

Man, the change of hours out here on the West Coast sure makes me have a hard time catching up.  As was mentioned by Rusty, the CFFA no longer has a PAT Platoon.  Back in 89-90, it did.  I was simply making a comparison as to how the name has changed (PRETC), but the game is almost the same.  As Buddy eluded to, if with PRETC, the Driver Training Course is the first thing you should get out of the way.  The only other course I was offered was an Emergency First Aid Course.  Mind you, back then, there was no real mandate for PAT Platoon, so painting rocks that surrounded the parade square, white was accepted practice.

The program that the current Canadian Forces Fire Marshal followed was the Fire Engineering Course at the University of Maryland (US of A).  This is an intensive course that is normally run over 5 years.  For military requirements (and funding), it is condensed into 4 years.  Unfortunately, there are few PSO's that are aware of this course.  That's a whole other topic (read - bone of contention), but it does exist and it's been quite some time since someone has attended it from the CF.  Don't forget.....a Fire Marshal doesn't fight fires (other than the red tape and paperwork ones), nor does an Officer in the Fire Service.  It all depends on where your interests lie.

I'll catch up with you all again later.
Chimo!

So the Brass route is not the way to go.  What is the general consensus on turn over rates ? do you get a lot of pers. that leave after their initial 7 years are done to hop on a civi dept. ?

cheers

PV

Yes!  It's unfortunate, but it happens all the time.  I can't say as I blame anyone for doing it.  Don't forget, unlike an Officer, a Direct Entry NCM doesn't have to wait 7 years.  The general partyline is that our turnover rate is an acceptable rate, or "normal."  However, I defy anyone from Cold Lake or Edmonton to agree with this.  After the recent recruiting drive of Ft. McMurray (with another one to follow), there is no way you can call that normal.  Not to mention the amount of personnel we've lost to the GTAA Fire Departments (aka: Pearson Airport).  If you compare the amount of courses going through the Academy, from now to about 7 years ago, you'd be amazed.  At one point, we couldn't employ our Instructors, now we don't have enough!  Not to mention the amount of Pte's you see in the Fire Halls.  I believe that says it all.....we're losing too much experience......so, our turn around is a little higher than normal, IMO

Chimo!

Don't forget, unlike an Officer, a Direct Entry NCM doesn't have to wait 7 years
Really ? from the impression i got from the recruiting site, you sign an initial contract of 7 years? 

I guess it's hard to compete with civi street these days.  I know GTAA Fire pays really well, and ya they are all pretty much ex reg force.  I think turnover is a problem that the Forces faces as a whole though.  On an almost mute point, it would make it a bit easier for somone to get into the trade, if it's not closed all the time  :-\

Thought of a couple more Q's.  Do you respond to medicals on base ? and what kinda of chances to you have on doing a tour over seas ? what would that posititon or assignment entail?

cheers guys

PV

Oh, and just another general Question, not really pretaining to FFing but...Are BMQ courses elemental ? and trade specific ? or do they just toss a bunch of recruits into a platoon ?

cheers

PV

NCM contracts are 3-5 years depending on the level of training provided.  Call a Recruiting Centre to find out about the contract for a FR FTR.  You will probably go into BMQ with other FR FTRs, but the majority will be other occupations.

Medical response has become a large part of our trade.  Currently, the goal is to have everyone Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) qualified.  It seems like each year our responsibilities increase.  We're, more and more, becoming Jack's of all, and master's of none.  Just wait, the High Angle Rescue/Difficult Rescue training is coming.  It is a qualification that many members carry, but not officially taught at the Academy....yet, but soon will be.

Tours overseas are extremely possible/probable.  Especially while serving on a ship.  However, I figure you're speaking more of a ground tour.  Currently, we have quite a few Firefighters in Afghanistan and other places.  Typically, they go as Fire Inspectors/Chiefs, which are in charge of the fire safety of the base, as well of training for the volunteer fire fighters.  Sometimes, we send pers simply to augment our "brother beavers" in whatever tasking they have.  It all depends on the mandate.  Regardless, odds are high of a tour.

Chimo!

Back