• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

airport security ..laundry detergent = bomb scenario??

PARAMEDIC

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all I have a quandry

Our joining instructions states the kit we have to bring for BMQ and among that is laundry detergent 2 liters. Now i have some questions:
1) not bringing all kit stated on joining instructions shows a lack of following instructions hence evaluation= not good (will staff understand ) ps.inregards to laundry detergent

2) will we have a problem at the airport, as we have a lot ok kit that is gel or aerosol...i.e(shampoo,mouthwash,toothpaste etc..). Im sort of at ease with that situation because we are flying out on the same flight and have the pteR attached to our name and im guessing that airport security will have been informed about our arrival ahead of time. im just curious if anyone had and interesting complications because of the new rule(no gels etc..)

3) I read on a post somewhere in here that we would have to buy most of our kit all over again as staff will be trying to set a standard for all of us. I do recognise the need for conformity but spending twice on the same things is rather retundant. Im guessing that it has to be a rather big deviation for the staff to tell you to buy the things again.

thanks again for all the help and support.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/majorissues/transportationsecurity/baggage.htm

That's the list of prohibited carry-on luggage.

I'm pretty sure laundry detergent and toiletries that are in Gel form are fine, but to be safe, put in in the luggage that you're checking. I don't think you'll be in great need of laundry detergent in-flight.

If you smoke, some security check-ins will confiscate lighters. So bring matches instead.

You can bring up to 4 oz of KY-Gelly, and whips are allowed as carry-on. But not nun-chucks or catapults.....

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/travel_voyage/list.shtml

I looked it up a couple days ago. I was concerned that I might not be able to take my Zippo with me (banned in US flights, but legal domestically in Canada, under restrictions)

Looks like aerosols are covered under
Non-flammable, non-poisonous aerosols for sporting and home use (e.g. Reddi Whip) Note : Maximum limit of 500 ml or 500 g per container, with a total net quantity not to exceed 2 L or 2 kg per person.
This must be packed in checked luggage.

There seems to be nothing wrong with other inert liquids/powders in checked luggage

In your carry-on,
Passengers will be permitted to bring liquids, gels and aerosols through security screening at Canadian airports provided that the items are packaged in containers with a capacity of 100 ml / 100 grams (3.4 oz.) or less, and that the containers fit comfortably in one clear, closed and resealable plastic bag with a capacity of no more than 1 litre (1 quart). One bag per passenger will be permitted.

As always, if your concerned - call someone in authority. The airline you are flying on has the final word (on anything not specifically banned by the above regulations), so that would be a good place to start.

I had several things confiscated at the airport; starch, deodorant, shoe polish, lighter. The lighter I understand; but the rest...not so much. If you're missing a few small things it's not a big deal. As for laudry detergent; you will have 3 other room mates and will be doing laudry together anyways.

Was the lighter on your person or in luggage? Which airline? When was this? Just wondering, as I would hate to lose a Zippo to the nailclipper police.

Why would you pack these things in your carry-on baggage?  All of that could be put in your checked luggage and therefore not even an issue.
PARAMEDIC said:
2) will we have a problem at the airport, as we have a lot ok kit that is gel or aerosol...i.e(shampoo,mouthwash,toothpaste etc..). Im sort of at ease with that situation because we are flying out on the same flight and have the pteR attached to our name and im guessing that airport security will have been informed about our arrival ahead of time. im just curious if anyone had and interesting complications because of the new rule(no gels etc..)

PteR means absolutely nothing to the airline, nor would security be informed of your arrival or even care.

Klc said:
Was the lighter on your person or in luggage? Which airline? When was this? Just wondering, as I would hate to lose a Zippo to the nailclipper police.

For me, it was a typical bic lighter. Once on person, the other in carry-on. But that was a couple of months ago, after the london thing.

A couple of weeks ago, they let me carry on my bic, but they made me put it in a plastic zip-lock baggie. Who knows.

It just seems to me to be common sense. Do not put any of those products in the carry on and you should be fine.

Passengers must remove from their carry-on bag, the closed, re-sealable plastic bag containing all permitted liquids, gels, and aerosols and place them directly into the trays provided at the beginning of the screening process.

All passengers should carry liquids, gels and aerosols in the containers and plastic bag specified, or pack these items in their checked baggage, in order to minimize potential delays at the screening point.

There are no size or bag restrictions for liquids and gels packed in checked baggage.

hopeful_officer_girl said:
It just seems to me to be common sense. Do not put any of those products in the carry on and you should be fine.

Common sense and dumbass questions like this one do not go together.

For me, it was a typical bic lighter. Once on person, the other in carry-on. But that was a couple of months ago, after the london thing.

A couple of weeks ago, they let me carry on my bic, but they made me put it in a plastic zip-lock baggie. Who knows.

That sounds about right. The regulation allowing them again is dated recently. It states that a single lighter on your person is not prohibited, with no unabsorbed fuel, under the airline's conditions. The last part being the important part. If they decide you can't have it, you can't.

Now I'm trying to figure out if there is anywhere in the Montreal Airport that would sell zippo fluid.

ok to start out thanks for all the replies.

1) I have not travelled any where for a while so was not sure if the items were restricted even from checked luggage. none of the items were gonna be on carry on luggage, frankly i hate carrying anything on board and fussing with putting it in the overhead storage.
thank you beachbum that was very helpful, thanks sig_des woulda never known about the bic lighter thing if I didnt ask this dumass question.
now that I have explained in more detail my concerns thank you all for clearing up my doubts. I thank everyone who contributed with positive feedback.
hindsight 20/20 i should have rephrased my question, with more detail.

thx kinkanuck as always "crystal clear and never to the point"

Here's a concept...think outside the box.  You have to get articles A, B and C to destination Y and obstacle L (airport security and restricted items) are in the way.  Stop thinking that a suitcase is the only way to get them there. 

niner domestic said:
Here's a concept...think outside the box.  You have to get articles A, B and C to destination Y and obstacle L (airport security and restricted items) are in the way.  Stop thinking that a suitcase is the only way to get them there. 

Funny you should mention that. I have been contacting couriers, and apparently there is no way to ship lighter fluid legally from point to point without being a buisiness. As of a few months ago, not even FedEx ground will touch it. Greyhound may be able to, but they are very limited in where they will take it to.

Moot point as I plan to buy after getting there.

Hmmm, no lighters or zippo fluid.  What a great reason to quit smoking!  ;D

And you'd think that having to smoke outside in -40 weather would be enough  ;D

navymich said:
Hmmm, no lighters or zippo fluid.  What a great reason to quit smoking!  ;D
there is NEVER a good reason to quit smoking.  If you don't smoke, you lose your cool

I've been trying to tell people that for a long time.  ;D

Of course, no fire never stopped me. I have been known to use a toaster in an emergency.w

Klc said:

The lighter was on me at the time; I didn't care too much about that. It was the almost new can of polish that made me angry (it was in my carry on bag). A guy from my platoon who was with me at the security counter got his zippo confiscated, now that must have been a downer because it cost like $40.

In regards to your first post, let me tell you that I spent $300 obtaining all of the items on the list they sent me and I ended up receiving them all for free at BMQ. Not all of them but 70% of it...alot of us were upset but hey what are you going to do.

ThatsLife said:
In regards to your first post, let me tell you that I spent $300 obtaining all of the items on the list they sent me and I ended up receiving them all for free at BMQ. Not all of them but 70% of it...alot of us were upset but hey what are you going to do.

I'm glad I didn't waste money on matching towels because I got them issued for FREE ;D Still use em to.

Back