• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Acting lacking MCpl in charge of a section with qualified MCpl's

Veovius

Inactive
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I threw it in here.

Can someone explain to me what Acting/Lacking means, and how it relates to rank and pay?  I'm asking from an MP point of view, but I thought there may be other trades that use it.  Thanks!

Acting/Lacking means you have been promoted to a rank for which you lack the actual qualification for.  It doesn't effect pay unless there is Spec pay involved.

For example:

MCpl Bloggins is not PLQ qualified, so he is considered an Acting/Lacking MCpl until he completes the PLQ course.  He still gets paid as a MCpl.

Sgt X is a PMed Tech without a 6A course (required for Spec pay).  He is considered Acting/Lacking Sgt and gets standard Sgt's pay until completion of the 6A course.

Clear as mud?

I think so...
So would an MP in training be a Cpl, but only get standard Cpl pay until he finishes his/her QL3 trade course?

You have to have your QL5 for spec pay in the MP trade now, so you'll be receiving standard Cpl pay.

You are only also allowed to be missing one of the items required for substantive promotion to the next higher rank.

HollywoodHitman said:
You are only also allowed to be missing one of the items required for substantive promotion to the next higher rank.

The only exception being A/Cpl as that rank is considered uncontrolled.

Ohh boy.....

I suppose I need to find out what the QL5 is for MPs, and when you get to take that.

So:
Private pay --> BMQ through SQ
Cpl pay --> QL3 through QL5?
Cpl Spec pay --> after QL5?

Hi Veovius. You probably don't recognize me, but I'm the voice of reason.

Since you don't even start recruit training until 2011, you may want to take a deep breath or two before too getting wound up about Spec Pay.

Your call of course  ;)

I think I remember that voice...usually right before I do something stupid ;)

The reason I'm asking here is that I've asked several different people, and got several different answers.  Two were serving MPs, and one was a Lieutenant that gave us a briefing about the MP trade on my MPAC.  I think he said that we didn't get corporal hooks for about 2 years, but everyone else had some variation on either being insta-corporals after BMQ, or getting promoted before QL3 and getting backpay to your start date!  As inclined as I am to believe the Lt., I've never heard that repeated again by anyone else.  I was hoping someone here would have a definite answer.  I hope that clarifies things from my end.

Ah...well, there's your problem.....you asked a lieutenant; perhaps worse, you listened to a lieutenant  ;D

Sorry I should clairify... He was infantry, got offered a commission, and became an MP Officer.  He's been doing that for 4 years now.

Veovius said:
The reason I'm asking here is that I've asked several different people, and got several different answers.  Two were serving MPs, and one was a Lieutenant that gave us a briefing about the MP trade on my MPAC.  I think he said that we didn't get corporal hooks for about 2 years, but everyone else had some variation on either being insta-corporals after BMQ, or getting promoted before QL3 and getting backpay to your start date!  As inclined as I am to believe the Lt., I've never heard that repeated again by anyone else.  I was hoping someone here would have a definite answer.  

Here's your definitive answer....from a serving MP.  You WILL be promoted to acting/lacking Corporal upon graduation from your BMQ at St. Jean.  You WILL NOT receive spec pay until you get your QL5 qualification.......clear as mud?

MP 811 said:
Here's your definitive answer....from a serving MP.  You WILL be promoted to acting/lacking Corporal upon graduation from your BMQ at St. Jean.  You WILL NOT receive spec pay until you get your QL5 qualification.......clear as mud?
To muddy the waters even further...this is true unless you are unable to take your QL5 in the time period you normally would have received it due to the needs of the service.  I have only ever seen this happen due to pers deploying on Operations.  In this specific instance you will be granted Spec Pay effective the day you would have graduated from the QL5 course you would have been scheduled to attend had you not been deployed as embers will not be disadvantaged due to reasons beyond their control.  The caveat to that is you fail the QL5 or don't go on the next QL5 you are available for, your spec pay is forfeit and you pay it all back.

MP811: Thank you!  Crystal clear....until I read Garb's post.

Garb811: Oh great...  What is the QL5, and when are you supposed to take that?  Now I'm asking out of curiosity's sake :)

The QL5 is your "journeyman" course, at which point you are expected to be able to operate independently and act as a coach officer to new MPs.  This is the course which formally qualifies you for the rank of Cpl, at which time the Acting/Lacking is dropped.  Normally you take this about 2-2.5 years after taking your QL3. 

Gotcha.  Actually, that explains why the Lt. said about 2 years, and why everyone else said right away.

Back