• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Scary Bedtime Short Story

leroi

Inactive
Reaction score
Moderators, I searched to see if this had been previously posted and couldn't find it.
It's not new (although I only just found it) but it's well-written and, I think, food for thought--keeping in mind it's a work of fiction only:

http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2006_04.htm#

The Time Traveler appeared suddenly in my study on New Year’s Eve, 2004. He was a stolid, grizzled man in a gray tunic and looked to be in his late-sixties or older. He also appeared to be the veteran of wars or of some terrible accident since he had livid scars on his face and neck and hands, some even visible in his scalp beneath a fuzz of gray hair cropped short in a military cut. One eye was covered by a black eyepatch. Before I could finish dialing 911 he announced in a husky voice that he was a Time Traveler come back to talk to me about the future.

Being a sometimes science-fiction writer but not a fool, I said, “Prove it.”

“Do you remember Replay?” he said.

My finger hovered over the final “1” in my dialing. “The 1987 novel?” I said. “By Ken Grimwood?”

The stranger – Time Traveler, psychotic, home invader, whatever he was – nodded ...

(continued on link above)

Journeyman said:
Did Thucydides put you up to this?  ;)

No, I don't know him--he sounds brilliant, though. I've read some of his posts and by comparison I'd describe myself as (almost) mentally challenged. ;D

This story was a random find; It kinda scared me.

I had no :D hidden political agenda for posting--just thought some people here might find it entertaining/thought provoking.

I only meant because of the the story's references to the original Thucydides...but way to go, stoking our Thucydides' ego. ::)

;D

Twenty-five years from now, every man or woman in America who wishes to vote will be required to read Thucydides on this matter. And others as well. And there are tests. If you don’t know some history, you don’t vote . . . much less run for office. America’s vacation from knowing history ends very soon now . . .

I like this bit!

I don't understand the importance of the Traveler's 'last three words'.. What were they and why wouldn't he repeat them?

Well, I'm unimpressed.  The 'future storyline' is little more than a rant about the menace of Islam, but taken to an extreme that would make Mark Steyn roll his eyes.  It's been dressed up as a short story, but it's clearly not intended for entertainment - and in that sense it reminds me of the Chick tracts.

Sythen said:
I don't understand the importance of the Traveler's 'last three words'.. What were they and why wouldn't he repeat them?

I'm not sure, but perhaps those three words are "Allah Uh Akbar"?

Sythen said:

I am not convinced that the three words are anything specific, more likely they are whatever you want them to be. The purpose of that sentence is to make you think.

Sythen said:

Here's my :2c:

I think it's open to interpretation but I understood the words to be "freedom of expression."  My guess about why he can't repeat them: it's too painful--he's to lose his grandchildren for something he wrote; he's come to realize the importance of that freedom and the consequences of not safegaurding it.

jp86 said:
Well, I'm unimpressed.  The 'future storyline' is little more than a rant about the menace of Islam, but taken to an extreme that would make Mark Steyn roll his eyes.  It's been dressed up as a short story, but it's clearly not intended for entertainment - and in that sense it reminds me of the Chick tracts.
I can understand your reaction; I was a bit taken aback too. But that's the point he's trying to make by using a contentious, contemporary religious issue; I think, he's emphasizing the importance of freedom of expression to democracy even when the ideas are offensive & unpopular to some people--IMHO.

Back