• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A few important questions from a potential candidate

Phoenix80

Inactive
Reaction score
I guess these are a few general questions. And please let me know if they've been posted else where.

- Will the CF look closely into one's employment history? What if there are gaps in it? Is that an automatic red flag that may disqualify a candidate?

- Is being on 'Cipralex' which is a mild form of anti-anxiety medicine a disqualifying factor? I can stop taking that any moment. Not really an issue. But I wonder if that's something which can be disqualifying me.

- I know that I've asked this question in a previous thread but what about a few arrest records (since then all of them officially destroyed/removed) with no prior conviction whatsoever?

- Having born in a non NATO country means a very long/arduous background check. Right? So how long does that normally take? (Even though I've lived in Canada for more than 10 yrs now). Have no family here whatsoever.

- I have a BA from a respectable Canadian university, but getting that degree meant putting myself in some considerable amount of debt. Will that be a negative factor again? What about regular credit card debt (very low amount of debt/less than 3K).

- Will they request to see the transcripts from my university years?

I'll be really grateful (in fact eternally thankful) if I can get some answers to my questions. I really want to give back to Canada and I want to serve this wonderful country.

:cdn:

I'm going to start off by giving you the standard advice: search the forums, google and the recruiting website! But I will briefly answer, to the extent that I can.

1. They will look at your employment record. Gaps don't disqualify you, but they will probably want to know more about it.
2. FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR'S ADVICE. Do not stop the meds on your own, unless you've already been cleared to do so by your doctor. To answer your question, the only way to know is to do the medical, no one here can tell you. They may want you off meds for a time period, but again, do the medical and see what they say.
3. I don't know.
4. The estimate that I've heard most is about two years. But that can vary a lot for a wide variety of reasons.
5. In general, they want to see that you're managing your debt. And that the salary is enough to manage your expenses. They don't want you to be an administrative burden and they don't want to get collections calls.
6. Yes, they require your transcripts as part of the application process. (This is clearly stated on the website. Seriously, do your own work. Initiative is an important trait.)

Again, this is very brief, and should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm just a successful applicant who has spent a lot of time reading here, not a recruiter. Now go do your own research.

Most of these questions no one can tell you for sure. Best bet is to talk to a recruiter.

With the exception of the transcript.

X2012 said:
I'm going to start off by giving you the standard advice: search the forums, google and the recruiting website! But I will briefly answer, to the extent that I can.

1. They will look at your employment record. Gaps don't disqualify you, but they will probably want to know more about it.
2. FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR'S ADVICE. Do not stop the meds on your own, unless you've already been cleared to do so by your doctor. To answer your question, the only way to know is to do the medical, no one here can tell you. They may want you off meds for a time period, but again, do the medical and see what they say.
3. I don't know.
4. The estimate that I've heard most is about two years. But that can vary a lot for a wide variety of reasons.
5. In general, they want to see that you're managing your debt. And that the salary is enough to manage your expenses. They don't want you to be an administrative burden and they don't want to get collections calls.
6. Yes, they require your transcripts as part of the application process. (This is clearly stated on the website. Seriously, do your own work. Initiative is an important trait.)

Again, this is very brief, and should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm just a successful applicant who has spent a lot of time reading here, not a recruiter. Now go do your own research.

I appreciate your kind response. However, my concern is whether taking anxiety meds might disqualify me. I don't have to take it per se. I can control my anxiety through different methods. But will this be an issue? Just being on anxiety medicine is something that may disqualify a candidate?

[
Phoenix80 said:
I appreciate your kind response. However, my concern is whether taking anxiety meds might disqualify me. I don't have to take it per se. I can control my anxiety through different methods. But will this be an issue? Just being on anxiety medicine is something that may disqualify a candidate?

Your commentary about "just X medication" and your opinions on "I don't have to take it" bring up some concerns, but I'll say what has been already said to you.

As previously noted - It may disqualify you, but that is the decision of the medical staff who evaluate your application.  Just going off of it to apply would not really work either as they usually require a period of time without medication to show there are no complications/issues with you no longer taking them.  Lying on an application is grounds to have you removed if you manage to qualify.  Best bet is talk to your doctor and see if there is an alternative to phase you off medication.  You may also want to consider the profession you are getting into and the likelyhood of anxiety being an issue with regards to it.

Regardless, good luck!

Thank you.
Personally and according to a professional advice I was given, I don't think that my temporary anxiety issues will be a factor in the line of profession I want to do. And by the time I will start doing the application next year, I will be off the meds per doctor's instructions. However  I was curious whether it is something that will be an issue once I go for the medical. I know that they want to know my medical history and they probably have ways to find out which is okay with me. I just want to be ready. Not just to pass a medical or join the CF, but to be ready as an individual while serving in the armed forces. Tis all.
Thanks again.

I'll be grateful if other members add more to this, or help me find 'more detailed' answers to my questions.

Thanks.

Phoenix80 said:
I'll be grateful if other members add more to this, or help me find 'more detailed' answers to my questions.

Thanks.

Seeing how this is Recruits Only section, most of us won't know unless someone who works in recruiting or such is a lurker and seldom posts.

Google

Site:army.ca question here

This stuff comes up from time to time and no one can say it is going to take 6 months, 3 week, a year , 8 months. No one can say.

I was on my phone last time I answered, so I'll go into more depth.

- Will the CF look closely into one's employment history? What if there are gaps in it? Is that an automatic red flag that may disqualify a candidate?
I don't know, ask a recruiter. I don't have a clue. Will it hurt? I don't know but I'm sure it won't be a benefit.

- Is being on 'Cipralex' which is a mild form of anti-anxiety medicine a disqualifying factor? I can stop taking that any moment. Not really an issue. But I wonder if that's something which can be disqualifying me.
This will come up on the enrollment medical. Only a Medical Officer can sign off on this, I am not a Medical Officer so I do not know. It is a case by case issue. When I was younger they thought I was allergic to bees after I was stung in a lip. I had to go back to my doctor get a form that said, no I wasn't allergic to bees, and all was good. Other things I could answer in the medical. "Have you ever had counselling?" Yes during my parents divorce. That wasn't an issue.

- I know that I've asked this question in a previous thread but what about a few arrest records (since then all of them officially destroyed/removed) with no prior conviction whatsoever?
I don't know I have never been charged/arrested, thus I cannot comment. I think if they are pardoned then it shouldn't be a problem, but again I don't know.

- Having born in a non NATO country means a very long/arduous background check. Right? So how long does that normally take? (Even though I've lived in Canada for more than 10 yrs now). Have no family here whatsoever.
No one can say how long? It depends how long you were, which country it is. Again I don't work in back ground check no one knows.

- I have a BA from a respectable Canadian university, but getting that degree meant putting myself in some considerable amount of debt. Will that be a negative factor again? What about regular credit card debt (very low amount of debt/less than 3K).
I don't work in background checks. I don't know. I have never had any debt until now (Student Loans).

- Will they request to see the transcripts from my university years?
Yes, as well as high school.

These types of questions come up frequently. Search, Search, Search. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about these can post.

Every question you have asked will definitely slow down your application.  They by no means will help your application go through the process.

My advice would be go to a Recruiting Centre and ask these questions there. As well as searching online to see what you can find here. If the trade is open that you want (Don't pick a trade just to get in), then by all means apply. I imagine it will take a decent amount of time to jump all of these hurdles. So apply when you can. If the trade you want isn't open ask when the trade should be open, and apply then.

Yes. I just did that. I was at a CFRC today and spoke to a recruiter in person. And then spoke to one of their medical examiners as well. All good. Thanks every one.

Student debt is not held against an application, unless you have been unable to make your payments.  They are more concerned with how you are handling your debt load, and is it likely to be an issue in the future (if not now).

Gaps in your employment history is not a deal breaker - everyone has had periods of unemployment at one point or another.  They will likely ask about it - and you will need to account for it for your security clearance after acceptance anyway.  If you have no work history and were well into your 20's, they may have more negative to say then if you were 18 and fresh out of highschool.  Again, only the recruiter can say for sure - I had several months of unemployment on my application and nothing was really said outside of "what were you doing then?".

Being in a Non-NATO country makes the security clearance longer - being in ANY foreign country makes your application take longer to clear.  Exactly how long depends on way to many factors for even the recruiters to say for certain.

Good luck!

Ayrsayle said:
Student debt is not held against an application, unless you have been unable to make your payments.  They are more concerned with how you are handling your debt load, and is it likely to be an issue in the future (if not now).

Gaps in your employment history is not a deal breaker - everyone has had periods of unemployment at one point or another.  They will likely ask about it - and you will need to account for it for your security clearance after acceptance anyway.  If you have no work history and were well into your 20's, they may have more negative to say then if you were 18 and fresh out of highschool.  Again, only the recruiter can say for sure - I had several months of unemployment on my application and nothing was really said outside of "what were you doing then?".

Being in a Non-NATO country makes the security clearance longer - being in ANY foreign country makes your application take longer to clear.  Exactly how long depends on way to many factors for even the recruiters to say for certain.

Good luck!

Agreed. Thank you.

Just got my citizenship last week and I thought it is best to let the forum members know I have started the CF application. Gotta study a bit, do some mental and physical tests and tasks, work hard and submit my app.

Please wish me luck.

Thanks

Back