• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

82 Ruck Repairs

Alwayslearning

Inactive
Reaction score
I've noticed since enrolling that some 82 rucks in the supply system being issued are not in the greatest shape. Anyone have experience reinforcing some of the stitching? D rings, buckles etc.

Is this frowned upon or overlooked as it seems like a necessity to keep the equipment in good repair?

If you can't get it exchanged at clothing, do what you need to do.

PuckChaser said:
If you can't get it exchanged at clothing, do what you need to do.
Fair enough.  I think I'm just paranoid about it being considered an alteration on my BMQ. I'm sure it'll be overlooked if it's a repair rather than change?

If it's not serviceable, ask your BMQ staff if you can get time to exchange it. If you're going to sew anything yourself, if its the same colour, you're likely fine. Sometimes you have to field repair your kit, but don't go to the field with broken stuff.

Get it replaced.

Having unservicable kit issued is unacceptable, they should be on top of these things.

It's one thing to get an 82 Ruck, with the frame separated, it's easy to read the diagram and tie your bag to the frame with some paracord; broken buckles, damaged straps, missing straps, holes... Send it back.

We carry all sorts of parts and trinkets for repairs... all one needs to do is ask. But, Puck and Lunchmeat are both correct - if it's in bad shape, we will either exchange it (or the broken part as it seperates from the rest) or have our master tailor fix it while you have a smoke!

Either way, the only reason you should be going around with kit in disrepair is if it just happened or you never took care of it!

We don't bite... I promise!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll exchange the ruck shortly.

The first impression you get is "here's what we've got, take it and make do".  Which made me want to take out the sewing machine and get to work.  Good to know that's not the case.

Unfortunately you got a poor representative of the supply trade, the vast majority double check something before they give it to you. Take it as a learning experience, quickly check over anything you sign for, much easier to make an exchange while you're standing right there.

PuckChaser said:
Unfortunately you got a poor representative of the supply trade, the vast majority double check something before they give it to you. Take it as a learning experience, quickly check over anything you sign for, much easier to make an exchange while you're standing right there.

A poor representative indeed! While it's true, sometimes we end up with broken, damaged and sub-par kit on the shelf which will eventually go over the counter - it's accidental (I can't speak for the poor customer service you and many others receive). We do make mistakes, and if kit in disrepair is noted during an exchange or issue, it's on us to fix that. Often times soldiers want the "new" kit, but if it's used, it's clean and in good repair (should be...) it will be issued first.

Other than that, yes - if it's not 100% serviceable, clean and acceptable, we WILL make sure you are happy! It's our job!

Back