• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

31 March 1917 - 2 CMR.

catalyst

Reaction score
So I've just found out my great-uncle (2CMR)  is on the monument at Vimy (and I'm a vimy guide :) ) and am trying to find out the circumstances of his death. Neither his death register or grave register are available online. His CWGC record states he died 31 March 1917, but I can't figure out where and  what he would have been doing at about that time. I did come across a smaller 'calvary' battle but I didn't think the 2 CMR's were involved in that - however, I could be mistaken.  I was also guessing that perhaps it was a trench raid that he never made it back from...........

Any historians have more knowledge than me and could point me in the right directions?

The 2nd CMR was, despite its name, an infantry battalion in the 8th Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Division. The unit's war dairy is available on line at the Library and Archives Canada web site. This will give you a start in your research.

I am away from home, so I cannot access my library, which includes some First World War material.

Edit: This is the reference for the 2 CMR War Diary for 31 March 1917:

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e046/e001126024.jpg

Back