• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Two points - 1) that was 2014 when the defence budget was $17B (1% GDP) - it's gone to $27B (1.3% GDP). That's a big differences; and 2) he said "full-time soldiers." I tend to agree - cut the full-time bureaucracy that is DND, reduce the RegF to a solid quick reaction force and a solid cadre and improve the part-time force. You'll save bunches of money.

But no. A thousand excuses will be voiced about why a part-time force won't work.

🍻
Accounting for inflation the actual real gain to the Defence Budget has been ZERO.

View attachment 83629

PBO has reported on the Fiscal Sustainability of the Defence Portfolio on multiple occasions over the past decade.

I'll save you the trouble of reading the report: Current Force Structure is not funded to a level that can sustain it
Alternative take: current and prior CAF leadership are unserious and unwilling to build a force that is sustainable, considering resources as a factor.

Alternative take: current and prior CAF leadership are unserious and unwilling to build a force that is sustainable, considering resources as a factor.
I agree. That's why I believe there needs to be a significant reduction in pers #s for one thing.

CAF is basically an extension of public service welfare at this point.

I agree. That's why I believe there needs to be a significant reduction in pers #s for one thing.

I'm not convinced that the pers numbers are wrong; where they are, what their occupations and ranks are and how they are employed, on the other hand...

A reduction or redistribution ?

I understand you may have some bitterness about the CAF but I think you're letting your emotions cloud your statements.

Both
I understand you may have some bitterness about the CAF but I think you're letting your emotions cloud your statements.
Again if your Army has numbers for a small Corps, and can’t field a Bde…
The Navy has holes its surface combatants, and its Subs, well they submerge just fine, it’s the surfacing after that’s in question.
As well as an Air Force flying museum pieces….

It’s certainly not a lean and mean fighting machine.

Ok, where ?

Again if your Army has numbers for a small Corps, and can’t field a Bde…
The Navy has holes its surface combatants, and its Subs, well they submerge just fine, it’s the surfacing after that’s in question.
As well as an Air Force flying museum pieces….

It’s certainly not a lean and mean fighting machine.

No, you are correct; things are defiantly broken. My point is cutting positions and people isn't going to make it better.

Repurposing, not ‘cutting’.

That makes more sense.

$ wise, the CAF could do a heck lot more with a larger Reserve component, and less Regulars, especially in the Army Cbt Arms.

Sacha Baron Cohen Yes GIF by Amazon Prime Video

$ wise, the CAF could do a heck lot more with a larger Reserve component, and less Regulars,

That would mean less Career Managers and pointless postings which kill spousal careers and family stability. Moving around the country needlessly for "experience" is what the CAF is all about!

Reactions: ueo
Both

No bitterness, I make more money, have a more important job with a lot responsibility, and enjoy what I do a lot more now. Cutting the strings was the best decision I ever made.

Woody Harrelson Crying GIF

Although, if I ever get the chance to #### someone over who ticked me off, I will 100% exercise that option 🤣

I'm listening, go on.

No bitterness, I make more money, have a more important job with a lot responsibility, and enjoy what I do a lot more now. Cutting the strings was the best decision I ever made.

Woody Harrelson Crying GIF

Although, if I ever get the chance to #### someone over who ticked me off, I will 100% exercise that option 🤣

Ok, I'm happy for you.

That I would agree with. More 3 - 5 year hitches. Offer things like the GI bill.

Aim for six and twelve; aligned with the existing VAC benefits.

But to do that, the schools need reinforcement for greater intake. Augmentation through CFTPO tasks should be the exception, not the rule. Unfortunately, as with all things intended to sustain the CAF, the CAF likes to cheap out. The RCN would rather a dozen ships all undermanned than ten ships crewed, with a properly resourced training system. (The Army schools are equally bad).

One contributor to the stress on the training system is the peaks and valleys driven by ROTP students; if we do keep RMC & CMR, we should move away from one intake a year to three, spaced out, and schedule education semesters(three annually) in an asymmetric way to help even out demand on the training institutions. Students could do 1,2,3 or 4 academic semesters in a row, followed by 1 or 2 military training semesters, until they complete their degree.

Back