• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

That is what you do to a family member who refuses to pay rent or take responsibility for their actions. Canada needs to be "disinvited" to the adult tables.
The alliance really needs to slap us somehow to smarten up

Would Canadians actually care ?
No they would not. I was at the Split Crow last night for a beer with family and friends. Some young Brits were having a pint as a Type 23 is visiting Halifax. My whole table saw those young men as quite the strange anomaly. My table asked me how I knew they were Brits. They knew every word to an Oasis song and they had military haircuts.

Everyone needs to watch the CRCNs video.

Well done Angus.
I'm going to provide some pointed feedback and criticism...

Lots of nice words in there but not a whole lot of deeds from the institution.

I was a well-respected Combat Arms Officer for over a decade before I switched to the Navy. I did everything that was asked of me, deployed during COVID, sailed when many others would not. Also took on many additional responsibilities that were well above my pay grade and qualification level in my new occupation, on a deploying Ship because the "HOD" and "ORO" couldn't handle it and got turfed.

When I got back from that deployment, I got treated with absolute disrespect by some Senior Brass who I think thought they could clip my wings and knock me down a peg.

"We need to show this Army guy who the boss is!" 😄

I'm truly thankful for that moment. It gave me the kick in the ass I needed to move on to the private sector where I am absolutely crushing it now. I've got more responsibility, make more money and am treated with respect by Senior Company Officers. Most importantly, my commitment to my new organization is actually valued.

What's important from the above information is the following:

If they treated me like that? I can't even imagine how they treat others with less experience and less pedigree? Oh wait.... I do know because I've seen it 😄

So no, the Navy hasn't changed and it looks like a begger trying to bum loose change at the moment. Want to fix it? Start treating your sailors with RESPECT.

My prediction is those 100% manned Capt(N) positions will continue with their ways and they will be content pretending to be Nelson with an increasingly miniscule number of dilapidated, rusted out toy ships with an increasingly smaller number of sailors to crew them.

And for the record, I like and respect Admiral Topshee.

I'm going to provide some pointed feedback and criticism...

Lots of nice words in there but not a whole lot of deeds from the institution.

I was a well-respected Combat Arms Officer for over a decade before I switched to the Navy. I did everything that was asked of me, deployed during COVID, sailed when many others would not. Also took on many additional responsibilities that were well above my pay grade and qualification level in my new occupation, on a deploying Ship because the "HOD" and "ORO" couldn't handle it and got turfed.

When I got back from that deployment, I got treated with absolute disrespect by some Senior Brass who I think thought they could clip my wings and knock me down a peg.

"We need to show this Army guy who the boss is!" 😄

I'm truly thankful for that moment. It gave me the kick in the ass I needed to move on to the private sector where I am absolutely crushing it now. I've got more responsibility, make more money and am treated with respect by Senior Company Officers. Most importantly, my commitment to my new organization is actually valued.

What's important from the above information is the following:

If they treated me like that? I can't even imagine how they treat others with less experience and less pedigree? Oh wait.... I do know because I've seen it 😄

So no, the Navy hasn't changed and it looks like a begger trying to bum loose change at the moment. Want to fix it? Start treating your sailors with RESPECT.

My prediction is those 100% manned Capt(N) positions will continue with their ways and they will be content pretending to be Nelson with an increasingly miniscule number of dilapidated, rusted out toy ships with an increasingly smaller number of sailors to crew them.

And for the record, I like and respect Admiral Topshee.

Well said.

Meanwhile, on the 'try before you buy' program front:

1701268218532.png

No they would not. I was at the Split Crow last night for a beer with family and friends. Some young Brits were having a pint as a Type 23 is visiting Halifax. My whole table saw those young men as quite the strange anomaly. My table asked me how I knew they were Brits. They knew every word to an Oasis song and they had military haircuts.

Going out on a limb here to guess that it was either "Champagne Supernova" or "Wonderwall" ;)

Good news Navy ... Bill Blair is going to make things right (or starboard) ;)

Defence minister says plan in talks for ‘significant’ military investments​

Defence Minister Bill Blair says he is committed to pushing for increased investment in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) after two top commanders sounded the alarm recently on operational readiness.

“Colleagues and shipmates, the [Royal Canadian Navy] (RCN) faces some very serious challenges right now that could mean we fail to meet our force posture readiness commitments in 2024 and beyond,” Vice-Adm. Angus Topshe, commander of the navy, said in a YouTube video posted earlier this week.

Last week, Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Wayne Eyre said military resources are strained amid increased calls for assistance in natural disasters and recruiting challenges.

On The West Block, Blair told host Mercedes Stephenson that how the government addresses these challenges is part of an ongoing discussion.

“We have brought forward a plan that’s very much in discussion right now within our government about making significant new investments,” Blair said.

“We’re going to do more. But there’s also some context in the doing that more because there is a fiscal situation in Canada that I have to be realistic about.”

At the House of Commons defence committee last week, Blair said that the long-promised defence policy update is tied in with broader budgetary conversations happening with the Prime Minister’s Office.

Back