• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Almost all the army events and activities that could be seen as non operational have been cancelled almost permanently too. CAFSAC, Worthington Cup, Patrol Competition.

Interestingly items that have a nexus to support recruiting or retention are supposed to be considered for continued support but it doesn’t seem to be happening.

I can’t help but wonder if pulling out of stuff like the Halifax Tattoo and canceling CAFSAC are actually going to be detrimental to recruiting and retention over the longer term.
So…Reconstitution is happening?

Side Hustle Sneaking GIF by Nickelodeon

Almost all the army events and activities that could be seen as non operational have been cancelled almost permanently too. CAFSAC, Worthington Cup, Patrol Competition.

Interestingly items that have a nexus to support recruiting or retention are supposed to be considered for continued support but it doesn’t seem to be happening.

I can’t help but wonder if pulling out of stuff like the Halifax Tattoo and canceling CAFSAC are actually going to be detrimental to recruiting and retention over the longer term.
CAFSAC wouldn't be the same, especially with the GOAT in purgatory:

It would be like the UFC without Jon Jones 😁

CAFSAC, Worthington Cup and Cambrian Patrol (if that what you meant by "patrol competition") are inwards focused and should not affect recruiting. Retention, maybe.

I would rather see the Oriole shit canned rather than cancel the Tattoo.

Not just SWE spent to keep the bureaucracy grinding; lots of Reg F pay in Ottawa for positions with no clear military nexus.

That an occupation could create a sub-occupation for "folks who will only ever work staff jobs" suggests that there's a lot of waste in the Reg F pay envelope as well.

CAFSAC, Worthington Cup and Cambrian Patrol (if that what you meant by "patrol competition") are inwards focused and should not affect recruiting. Retention, maybe.
The Canadian Patrol Competition was a CMTC initiative to keep its staff busy in the fall and flex in an area for which the Infantry School was the actual CoE.

Ah yes, I remember now (ouch)

View attachment 81835

The history of the Brits

In London, Birmingham and Manchester, women and young couples were making the move to soft paper. Men were more accustomed to “rubbing or scraping” and would need to be trained to use soft paper without dirtying their hands.

In Glasgow, the psychologists said, many people still used newspaper. In Yorkshire, “‘soft’ papers were viewed with great distrust and anxiety because they were not ‘reliable’”. Any new paper would have to be marketed as strong and good value for money to win over these customers. And people were reluctant to change their bathroom fittings, so free roll-holders might be a good incentive to change

Hech mon! Pay for it?

:ROFLMAO:

The Canadian Patrol Competition was a CMTC initiative to keep its staff busy in the fall and flex in an area for which the Infantry School was the actual CoE.
And it was a nice way of keeping people from flying to the UK to stroke their ego, I mean compete in the Cambrian.

while we dither serious countries continue to improve their militaries
Not a supporter of the Liberals, but in fairness they've recently gotten the military RPAS/JUSTAS, the F-35, new frigates, CC-330s and P8s. That's actually not bad when you think about relevant kit being purchased.

I tend to think that perhaps the problems that the army is having is that it hasn't gotten their own house in order and other than GBAD and a bunch of UORs needs to really figure out what it needs to be to stay relevant in the eyes of government. The Latvia mission seems like a good stepping stone if it plays its cards right.

🍻

The problem is that that since its inception, REASSURANCE, was touted as a training/NATO confidence mission.

I was there in 2015 for Roto 3 in Poland. We had nothing. Not a capability of note but an AB Coy Gp training with the Polish and showing the flag in the Baltics at different training events. We had to fight for SDA designation (which only happened at R4 and onward) because "Well its just exercising... no different than Gagetown". There is a reason why we called it "Operacise REASSURANCE" while there; its exercising when we needed kit or support, but an operation when NATO was asking for a contribution.

That was the mentality that came into view when we moved to Latvia. Its a training mission, those are cheap (like ATTENTION being far cheaper than ATHENA/ARCHER in blood and treasure). We dont need kit, or vehicles, or pers, or ..... its just a training mission.

24 Feb 2022 changed that mission for NATO, but not Canada. We are treating it as a continual BALTIC RESOLVE and staffing/equipping it the same way. No one in the GoC believes that theatee will ever go hot and are banking on it.

Not a supporter of the Liberals, but in fairness they've recently gotten the military RPAS/JUSTAS, the F-35, new frigates, CC-330s and P8s. That's actually not bad when you think about relevant kit being purchased.

I tend to think that perhaps the problems that the army is having is that it hasn't gotten their own house in order and other than GBAD and a bunch of UORs needs to really figure out what it needs to be to stay relevant in the eyes of government. The Latvia mission seems like a good stepping stone if it plays its cards right.

🍻
yeah were on a bit of a run. I guess it happens when you decide to only buy equipment every 40 yrs. Wait does that mean that the Trudeaus are THE defence Prime Ministers? :D

The LSVW and HSVW should be decided in the next year as well

🍻
true but in what way have they ensured that the equipment is there to do the job? Our donations to Ukraine have demonstrated how bare the cupboards are: we just don't have anything worth giving. The 330's are only 20 years overdue, the F35 should have been ordered a decade ago and yes I know Harper was in then but his single source order got shot down so we have no planes, the frigates are only as a result of the NSS programme otherwise they would still be on the wish list and the P8's come after some serious govt to govt lecturing. So what really have they initiated to see that we can defend ourselves

true but in what way have they ensured that the equipment is there to do the job? Our donations to Ukraine have demonstrated how bare the cupboards are: we just don't have anything worth giving. The 330's are only 20 years overdue, the F35 should have been ordered a decade ago and yes I know Harper was in then but his single source order got shot down so we have no planes, the frigates are only as a result of the NSS programme otherwise they would still be on the wish list and the P8's come after some serious govt to govt lecturing. So what really have they initiated to see that we can defend ourselves

Luckily, we still issue bayonets ;)

View attachment 81861

Getting kit is easy, you just write a cheque to a defense contractor. Missing is the more important and much harder part - retention and recruting.
We all know that’s not true. Our procurement system is a mess.

Retention is a problematic issue, but I can tell you from personal experience that no one likes going to Latvia and looking like a third rate army.

Back