• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ottawa seeking ‘impartial’ board members to review military colleges

That would be great if most officers actually studied the theories/history of warfare in the university degree that they earn. Most don’t.
I agree with this comment. The posted article suggests the need for more extensive Professional Military Education (PME) for officers...especially senior officers rather than specifically a general University education.

Another question. The requirement for Quebecois language for promotion?
As a leader, you have to be able to at least communicate, even in a basic form, in your subordinates’ language. Given that more than a quarter of the CAF population is francophone, absolutely.

Last edited:
I agree with this comment. The posted article suggests the need for more extensive Professional Military Education (PME) for officers...especially senior officers rather than specifically a general University education.
That was the purpose of OPMEs, no? Then staff college etc.

None of that actually requires an undergrad though.

We also massively undervalue OJT (especially if it doesn't come with a course code). Someone can get fired into a job with zero experience, do a lot of self directed learning to figure it out, and then get a big goose egg for 'professional development'. It's even worse now with the new PAR system where the only thing you can add is something with a MITE code, so even professional courses not in MITE don't count for anything. At least before you could put college/uni courses, OEM courses, etc etc.

As a leader, you have to be able to at least communicate, even in a basic form, in your subordinates’ language. Given that more than a quarter of the CAF population is francophone, absolutely.
Not every region is bilingual, but almost every leader has bi-lingual requirements for promotion. This is likely a wasteful burden not needed everywhere.

Not every region is bilingual, but almost every leader has bi-lingual requirements for promotion. This is likely a wasteful burden not needed everywhere.
Exactly this.

A lot of the language requirements listed were, much like in the PS, brought in to be in compliance with the Offical Languages Act; not the perceived organizational or operational benefit of having bilingual officers.

It was also meant as a CYA for CAF/DND in cases where there could be an OL Complaint filed because of language.

In reality, the OL Act addressed the demand from the Québécois to protect and maintain their language rights while working in Quebec; by guaranteeing them the right also to work in Airdrie, AB in French.... where you'd be hard pressed to find a francophone for miles...

And my point is if it isn’t a relevant degree than there isn’t much point.

History ( specifically what type of history they are studying, 15th-20th century history? Very relevant. 500 BC Greece? Not as much), is easy to argue for. English Lit? Do we need to waste 4 years of training just to attempt to learn how to argue effectively? Maybe a month or two course would be sufficient there.

I get the stretch argument for education, I have done the CAF education funding arguments, but if we are being realistic, we need to look at how much time and money is being outlaid for what value.

For a organization that is actively cutting core military training with the argument we can learn that later if we have to, we sure spend a lot of time and money on degrees of questionable value just to create degreed officers.
The CAF as an organization is obsessed with credentialism.

I say that as someone who used to be in the CAF and now works in an industry where even some of the most Senior Leadership of the Company doesn't have a University Degree.

They did all their learning on the ground and accumulated experience.

And we have an entire Cadre of officers that don't have degrees, learned everything on the job, and are given the same commission. Not saying that CFR is a sustainable production model for all officers, but, it definitely shoots the Degreed Officer Corps argument to shit and makes one question if we should be looking for qualities vice credentials in our junior leaders.
I think education is important but that education needs to be tailored to the job at hand.

The entire purpose of a Military College should be to school its Officers in the Art of War and the Officers should all receive a broad-based education in Military Tactics, War Theory, History, etc.

Industry does not require a degree for management, in fact some of the best bosses I have ever had don’t have degrees.

Some of these bosses have had careers where they finished them off as top of their departments in charge of all the maintenance in the mill, with well over 100 skilled tradesmen, engineers, and managers below them. I would dare someone to try and argue they are incompetent.

Most the management positions which require a degree as a starting point are in not results based jobs. They are a lot harder to measure the exact effect management is having over the employees. Industry is pretty easy to tell if your competent or not, and unlike many other careers will get rid of you quickly if your not competent.
Correct. MBAs are very popular in Government, Finance, Consulting, etc. They are not that prevalent in a lot of other Industries.

What I've found in my new industry is a lot of the "supporting cast" if you will, are the ones with the advanced degrees. The actual operations personnel though, and we are the ones who run the business and make the decisions (we also get paid the most). We receive our education on the ground. We go out, make things happen, and are rewarded with more challenging tasks to complete and promotions if we achieve our objectives.

There is value in education and I am convinced there is value in receiving a Military Education. I am wholely unconvinced the CAF wouldn't be better off creating their own education curriculum and awarding people who go through the program a "bachelor of military arts and sciences" in lieu of having them waste four years of their life studying "basket weaving"

The CAF does the opposite of what it should do. It offloads actual PD for its Officers and Senior NCOs until they are 15-20 years in to their career. Much too late and they miss the opportunity to saturate the mind at a young age.
I would suspect that the number of MBA students would suggest that there is a ceiling for those without MBAs (and the prerequisite education prior to that).

I would also suspect that the days of folks like your previous bosses are going by the wayside. I'm not saying that industry won't have management that didn't "rise from the ranks", but I'm guessing that those without post-secondary or MBAs will stop at middle management, at best.
MBAs target a very specific subsection of the private sector. Namely consulting and the financial industry. That so many Military Officers gravitate to that path post CAF says more about them and what they're comfortable with than it does about the actual value of an MBA itself.

I am personally interested in doing an MBA because I have an interest in it, and also for networking reasons 😉, not because it matters in my current occupation.

If this were true SLT wouldn't be a gate keeper for those aspiring for the extreme heights of our profession. It would be skill given/taught at the beginning and continually worked on, for everyone.

I won't argue the value of a degree in the Officer corps. But there is an aspect many are forgetting. That degree is a recruiting tool.

I will use myself as an example. I would have never considered joining the military if I hadn't been accepted into the ROTP program. It was a means to an end. I never expected to do more than my obligatory time, and then move on to something else, where a degree would be required. Thirty years later, it seems the CAF got its money's worth.

Even where a region is not bilingual, you can still have francophone subordinates. That’s the nature of the military. It behoves to leaders to cater to their subordinates official language, not the opposite.

Leaders who refuse to learn their second official language to enable then to conduct basic leadership tasks demonstrate aspects of laziness and self-centering.

If I had a nickel for every Officer that pensioned out of the CAF and tried to become a "leadership coach" I'd be a rich man 😄.

This seemed to be very in vogue for a couple of years "post Afghanistan" and I think some clever people saw a market opportunity which they successfully exploited. It seems to have trended downward now though. Especially since our efforts were shown to have largely blown up in our faces:

The newest fad people seem to be latching on to these days in the land of "useless and made up jobs" are "diversity and inclusivity" advisors.

Notice how they are all jobs in the Public Sector or in Academia as well 😉. It's a massive self-licking ice cream cone.

I'll take jobs that are "made up" for $500 Alex!

Even where a region is not bilingual, you can still have francophone subordinates. That’s the nature of the military. It behoves to leaders to cater to their subordinates official language, not the opposite.

Leaders who refuse to learn their second official language to enable then to conduct basic leadership tasks demonstrate aspects of laziness and self-centering.
That is a nice and noble notion, and I understand that practice is what is attempted.

However, what makes more sense; operating your military in one official language, or operating your military in two official languages where not everyone is or can be bilingual?

I know this won't be a popular comment, but set aside feelings/emotions/cultural identity for a moment and think of all the churn you could eliminate by only operating in one official language. Its not like the CAF has an abundance of time/people/resources.

A bilingual federal public service, including DND, is a self licking ice cream cone. Senior public servants, and senior officers, invariably look in the mirror, and state" I am the very model of a modern archetype." and refuse to look past the mirror into Canada's reality.

The bilingual evolution/manifestation was a sop to placate Quebec politicians. They have responded with Bill 86 and Bill 96.

A bilingual federal public service, including DND, is a self licking ice cream cone. Senior public servants, and senior officers, invariably look in the mirror, and state" I am the very model of a modern archetype." and refuse to look past the mirror into Canada's reality.

The bilingual evolution/manifestation was a sop to placate Quebec politicians. They have responded with Bill 86 and Bill 96.
Why would it be for francophones to adapt, instead of the institution? Why is the responsibility to learn a new language on the shoulders a new pilot because the institution is incapable of providing training in their FOL? There an element of fairness and equality/equity that cannot be ignored. I would challenge any person whose first language is English to undertake their trades training in French and see where it goes. I bet you the majority would be up in arms.

That is a nice and noble notion, and I understand that practice is what is attempted.

However, what makes more sense; operating your military in one official language, or operating your military in two official languages where not everyone is or can be bilingual?

I know this won't be a popular comment, but set aside feelings/emotions/cultural identity for a moment and think of all the churn you could eliminate by only operating in one official language. Its not like the CAF has an abundance of time/people/resources.
Eliminate the churn for Anglophones. Create a whole lot more for francophones.

Why would it be for francophones to adapt, instead of the institution? Why is the responsibility to learn a new language on the shoulders a new pilot because the institution is incapable of providing training in their FOL? There an element of fairness and equality/equity that cannot be ignored. I would challenge any person whose first language is English to undertake their trades training in French and see where it goes. I bet you the majority would be up in arms.
You are looking into your own particular mirror.

You are looking into your own particular mirror.
Perhaps. But that’s true in many trades. And sometimes, even when a course is « bilingual », it isn’t really. That’s really easy for you to say what you’re saying as an anglophone who likely never had to take career course in a language that is not native to you, not by choice but by obligation. The day you’ll have lived through this, I’ll value your opinion on this.

Eliminate the churn for Anglophones. Create a whole lot more for francophones.
I support whatever is less obstacles/barriers for the most amount of people, and that makes operational sense.

I support whatever is less obstacles/barriers for the most amount of people, and that makes operational sense.
This is precisely how we got the the state the CAF is: cater to white, English males…. Ultimately is creates an Echo chamber and things spiral pit of control.

Perhaps. But that’s true in many trades. And sometimes, even when a course is « bilingual », it isn’t really. That’s really easy for you to say what you’re saying as an anglophone who likely never had to take career course in a language that is not native to you, not by choice but by obligation. The day you’ll have lived through this, I’ll value your opinion on this.
I did SLT in 1989 and 2005. You can take that for what it is worth, I don't particularly care whether you value my opinion.

Language/culture survive through utility and adaptability, not some saccharine-fed federal mandated program. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, the fifth wheel kvetches.

Back