• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strike

As far as seniority at the federal level goes, my father worked for a Crown Corporation for 45 years. His earning potential and quality of life improved with every year of seniority. I saw that with my own eyes.

Fair? Unfair? Depends on one's point of view, I suppose.

But, he, like everyone else, was made aware of that fact, before they made the decision to hire on.

Seniority should be part of the process, but I do agree, not "the" process.

Depends on the collective agreement. Ours was almost exclusively Senior Qualified Process.
Relative Ability Process only applied in extremely rare situations .

"Hate" that? Don't join our little club. Stick with your first career.

That had been the process for well over a half a century before I decided to join our union.

Only way I could get summer vacation was by going away with the army for two weeks every summer.

That is the ( unofficial ) reason they never rehired people who were trying to "get back in".

They tended to be very resentful that their seniority had been "taken away" from them, and they had to go back to the bottom of the list.

Problem then is what becomes "competence"?........a quick check from the last 10 years of the court martials/ criminal charges of our "obviously competent" folk can confirm that it can become a problem without some safeguards.

Seniority should be part of the process, but I do agree, not "the" process.
The problem being that the job classifications will apply to totally different types of work, so the seniority may be in completely irrelevant areas.

For example, we were looking for a marine technician, and the person in the pool was a geological surveyor. Both the same EG classification, totally unrelated work.

Sure, that one was filtered out on our basic experience/qualifications, but with how broadly and totally unrelated the work is done across the same job category in the GoC.

More experience at relevant work is already factored into 'best fit', so it already is included in hiring process, so don't see why it needs to be double counted.

I've never been on strike. But, I walked a 4-hour shift with our non-operational support staff on a picket line at HQ. I was off duty. Not eligible for strike pay. But, I knew those people, and the valuable work they did for us.

I think it's worth mentioning that Operations depend on Logistics. Just like in the army. It was commonly understood it was best to get along with support staff. Because you depend on them. "Don't fu#% with those people ! " FAFO.

The problem being that the job classifications will apply to totally different types of work, so the seniority may be in completely irrelevant areas.

For example, we were looking for a marine technician, and the person in the pool was a geological surveyor. Both the same EG classification, totally unrelated work.

Sure, that one was filtered out on our basic experience/qualifications, but with how broadly and totally unrelated the work is done across the same job category in the GoC.

More experience at relevant work is already factored into 'best fit', so it already is included in hiring process, so don't see why it needs to be double counted.
We were asked to include a Air Force WO who had retired in Trenton into our pool for a EG-6 looking at Marine structures on the West Coast, he was as baffled as we were at the request. As a deckhand in the CCG, we were the worst paid deckhands on the coast, so we had plenty reason to strike. As an EG-6, I had no reason to strike, as we all felt the work and the pay were equal to the industry standard. What I found is that the PS paid their Clerical Staff very well, compared to industry. But our payrates for licenced and technical staff were laughable compared to industry, particularity for people with Marine Tickets.

We were asked to include a Air Force WO who had retired in Trenton into our pool for a EG-6 looking at Marine structures on the West Coast, he was as baffled as we were at the request. As a deckhand in the CCG, we were the worst paid deckhands on the coast, so we had plenty reason to strike. As an EG-6, I had no reason to strike, as we all felt the work and the pay were equal to the industry standard. What I found is that the PS paid their Clerical Staff very well, compared to industry. But our payrates for licenced and technical staff were laughable compared to industry, particularity for people with Marine Tickets.
THat's weird, but I think it's because our HR is basically a giant brush that has to follow a process even if it doesn't make sense.

Similarly I'm sure if we had talked to the geo surveyor guy he would have been puzzled as well, but because he was in the pool we had to at least review the file. Just got lucky it was an old pool, as some of them start with hundreds of qualified candidates.

I wonder how many PSAC members who are also reservists are now getting lots of Class A time ...

Would that be considered crossing the picket line ?

Pondering Season 9 GIF by The Office
Are they actually getting paid for it, or do they have to wait for the strike to be over?

Also, could we not potentially replace many of these civilians with CAF members and potentially save money?

Patience with the protesters in Petawawa seems to be wearing thin. The other day some protesters took it upon themselves to physically block one of the gates going on to base including holding up "gate closed" signs.

There are reports of racist comments against soldiers (witnessed this myself) and other civilians being real shit heads.

Are they actually getting paid for it, or do they have to wait for the strike to be over?

Also, could we not potentially replace many of these civilians with CAF members and potentially save money?
Not at all. Generally CAF members are more expensive than PS.

I’m sure that will work well for the union.

Those folks realize that when the strike is over, they’re still working near those soldiers, right?
They have barred folks from entering their place of work. They have used intimidation tactics and have been confrontational to PS and Contractors that are not part of PSAC/UNDE. They have made it seem like the CAF has any sway in their deliberations with TBS, and have referred to the CAF as the employer (we're not... PS workers are pretty much subcontracted down from the TB in a Compensation and Benefits standpoint).

But...the union is fighting for us as well, right? :sneaky:

Patience with the protesters in Petawawa seems to be wearing thin. The other day some protesters took it upon themselves to physically block one of the gates going on to base including holding up "gate closed" signs.

There are reports of racist comments against soldiers (witnessed this myself) and other civilians being real shit heads.
Strikes can bring out the very worst in people. Have had terrible things called to my face. But then the next day then its over you must push that aside and let it go. Make like it didn't happen. That's my advice. It's super hard to do.

First strike pay is scheduled for next week. If the eff that up it won’t be pretty. Basic strike pay and done top ups yes. I heard that some locals will wait until they pay out top ups as they don’t know how long this will go as some might not have big reserves.
As mentioned CAF cost more in salary and benefits and I’m pretty sure the CAF can barely fill it’s own positions as it is.

N
They have barred folks from entering their place of work. They have used intimidation tactics and have been confrontational to PS and Contractors that are not part of PSAC/UNDE. They have made it seem like the CAF has any sway in their deliberations with TBS, and have referred to the CAF as the employer (we're not... PS workers are pretty much subcontracted down from the TB in a Compensation and Benefits standpoint).

But...the union is fighting for us as well, right? :sneaky:
No idea where you are but it’s pretty tame here where I am.

First strike pay is scheduled for next week. If the eff that up it won’t be pretty. Basic strike pay and done top ups yes. I heard that some locals will wait until they pay out top ups as they don’t know how long this will go as some might not have big reserves.

As mentioned CAF cost more in salary and benefits and I’m pretty sure the CAF can barely fill it’s own positions as it is.
No. I mean are they being paid as a Class A Reservist? We were told that we aren't getting paid till the strike is over.

N

No idea where you are but it’s pretty tame here where I am.
It almost always is......until someone is too self-important to play the game. Read some posts here and you'll see.....

If you have worked on the support side of a Base or Wing, you are aware that there has always been one group of workers who are strong union supporters, know their collective agreements inside and out, and in previous strikes have been the most vocal, aggressive, and trouble making. They also operate almost like a closed shop, where nepotism is rife, the only normal way to get hired on is to be a defendant of a current member who gets hired as a student, moves into an apprentice position and then gets an indeterminate position.

Because of the separation that happened several years ago, they no longer report to a Base/Wing chain of command, and they often don't see themselves as part of the team.

Yes, this is a broad brush over a group that contains many great people. But in the four bases I worked on, the sentiment has always been the same.

No. I mean are they being paid as a Class A Reservist? We were told that we aren't getting paid till the strike is over.
If your unit / formation has no military personnel entering and approving pay, then I suppose you won't have pay until the strike is resolved. That sounds unusual, but not impossible.

Back