• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will 2021 see a new pistol buy?

Will the CAF's new pistol be a:

• the new US service pistol, the Sig Sauer P320 (M17/M18)?

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • the British version of the Glock 17?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • a Beretta APX?

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • a Canadian designed Black Creek Labs PX17?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • a Norinco?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • something else?

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
7,000 pistols is enough to equip al the HQ types across the country to boost their LCF in front of the troops.
In all seriousness the CAF is not serious about a pistol replacement nor training people to effectively employ them. As you said, they are a status symbol and nothing more.

Frankly I think the pistol should be the primary learning tool for the Military on basic marksmanship -- pistols are hard to shoot well due, and pistol ammo is cheap, compared to rifle ammo - and generally most pistols last longer (round count) and are both cheaper to get than rifles/carbines, and cheaper to maintain. The bonus is due to the small size - they are a great safety training tool.

In short I think everyone should be issued one ---

BUT I still stand on my previous statements that it should have been a much lower priority item.
Modern NODS, and for the C8's a decent rail , MFAL, Suppressors, LPVO would have been a much better upgrade for weapons -- let alone the massive big ticket deficiencies...

Frankly I think the pistol should be the primary learning tool for the Military on basic marksmanship -- pistols are hard to shoot well due, and pistol ammo is cheap, compared to rifle ammo - and generally most pistols last longer (round count) and are both cheaper to get than rifles/carbines, and cheaper to maintain. The bonus is due to the small size - they are a great safety training tool.

In short I think everyone should be issued one ---

BUT I still stand on my previous statements that it should have been a much lower priority item.
Modern NODS, and for the C8's a decent rail , MFAL, Suppressors, LPVO would have been a much better upgrade for weapons -- let alone the massive big ticket deficiencies...
If it gets a project team experienced and they have a "win", likley they are ready for a more complex project.

If it gets a project team experienced and they have a "win", likely they are ready for a more complex project.
The original RFP called for up to 22,000 units. We're getting initially 7,000 and, at best, 16,000. That being said, according to the news release, this is an Army-centric buy. The other services will (may) be equipped later.

Remember, too, that this has dragged on so long that the project is older than the project team members.

The original RFP called for up to 22,000 units. We're getting initially 7,000 and, at best, 16,000. That being said, according to the news release, this is an Army-centric buy. The other services will (may) be equipped later.

Remember, too, that this has dragged on so long that the project is older than the project team members.
  1. I thought the RCN uses Sig Sauers exclusively, not the Browning?
  2. Aside from fighter crews, I don't know who in the RCAF regularly uses the 9mm unless deployed.

1. I thought the RCN uses Sig Sauers exclusively, not the Browning?
  2. Aside from fighter crews, I don't know who in the RCAF regularly uses the 9mm unless deployed.
Pretty sure the intent was to also replace the P225, P226 and P239 with the new gun, as the modular frame and slide method can accomplish all their roles in one.

Are you really RCAF though? :ROFLMAO:

Reverse Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Back