• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What Might Civil War Be Like?

Badly written teen fiction nails it. The article in question goes beyond mere ideation of conflict into something far more titillating. It's crystal clear it is not intended for academic consideration and conjecture since intemperate words like "hate" without considerable support are not words that are useful in a reasoned discussion. The intent is as obvious as the capitalization of "Normal Americans".

I've got no problems with mentally masturbating over bringing death and destruction to the enemy: This is the military after all. Tribalism is our bread and butter. Y'all want to fantasize about bringing that dickhead Putin down a notch or two, have at 'er. Those Chinese are really asking for it in the South China Sea, too.

I do have a problem with mentally masturbating about bringing death and destruction to domestic "enemies". We're not Americans, but our politics overlap considerably. This kind of "fiction" does not belong anywhere near a civilized discussion in Canada, and is categorically at odds with the rule of law and our oaths. It is not a "good look" any way you cut it.

OP has a massive hard-on against "progressives" for "liberals" as his countless posts and missives here can attest, and if this were virtually any other poster it would be easy to overlook it as generally innocent, and possibly valuable for some serious discussion (I'd say as useful as discussing *Twilight* as serious literature, but whatever). But in reality he's got little to nothing on me in age, and his service is exactly as valuable as he upholds his oath. This kind of "good look" dishonours it.

Call me a troll and shoot me down MP points all you like. You want a serious discussion this is where it should begin.

Bernini,

I have difficulty following your line of reasoning: because the OP posted an (admittedly) controversial article on a possible US Civil war, he has dishonoured his oath to the Crown?  Do you have an "approved" list of topics that you would like CF members to only discuss, perhaps?

Can you explain in what way that he has dishonoured QR&O 6.04? Please be specific.

For the record, I do not believe that a US civil war is all that likely. But, in the unlikely event of one, it would be an unholy mess.

Sadly the poster's leap into the void almost exactly replicates the political and social climate in large swaths of the United States (and I'm willing to bet a large sum of money the election of Doug Ford as the leader of the PCPO will demonstrate this sort of thing is not confined to south of the border).

Since this is an increasing topic of discussion in the Untied States, it is good to be aware of what sort of thinking is driving discussion and action in our largest and most important neighbour. If things do go "hot", it will be an unholy mess, and the blowback will seriously damage us as well.

You can either choose to look at the situation, or not. Reality has a habit of hitting you like a freight train, however.

Thucydides said:
Sadly the poster's leap into the void almost exactly replicates the political and social climate in large swaths of the United States (and I'm willing to bet a large sum of money the election of Doug Ford as the leader of the PCPO will demonstrate this sort of thing is not confined to south of the border).

Since this is an increasing topic of discussion in the Untied States, it is good to be aware of what sort of thinking is driving discussion and action in our largest and most important neighbour. If things do go "hot", it will be an unholy mess, and the blowback will seriously damage us as well.

You can either choose to look at the situation, or not. Reality has a habit of hitting you like a freight train, however.

<SARCASM ON>

But you're still guilty of wrong think.

<SARCASM OFF>

Given the state of Canadian politics, I'd be more worried about a Civil War here. :waiting:

Halifax Tar said:
<SARCASM ON>

But you're still guilty of wrong think.

<SARCASM OFF>

I'll be waiting for the Thought Police to arrive.

In the mean time, I came across this piece which shows the great lengths people had gone to create the "collusion" story. One can only wonder what things would be like if they had succeeded, and of course the other part of the question is what, if anything, will the relevant authorities do to the miscreants now they have been exposed?

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/291179

MICHAEL DORAN: The Real Collusion Story.

While the establishment press was singing in harmony with the Clinton campaign, a cacophonous debate erupted inside government. At the end of July, James Clapper, the director of National Intelligence, said at a public forum that the intelligence community was not “ready yet to make a call on attribution” — not ready, that is, to attribute the DNC hack to Putin. Clapper was also unready to say that the intention of the hackers was to get Trump elected. The goal, he said, may simply have been “to stir up trouble.” When combined with similar comments by other intelligence officials, Clapper’s statements undercut Hillary Clinton’s efforts to brand Trump as Putin’s active accomplice.

Enter John Brennan. In early August, Brennan launched a personal campaign to force a consensus in support of Clinton’s propaganda. Before long, Clapper became his partner in this effort. They would succeed, however, only after the election — and then only by establishing an ad hoc and highly unorthodox intelligence-assessment team. To man the team, Brennan and Clapper handpicked a small number of analysts, tasking them with reaching a consensus before the inauguration of Donald Trump. The team, no surprise, did not disappoint. In January 2017, it produced the “consensus” that Brennan had been trying to orchestrate for the previous five months. By then, it was still useful as a propaganda tool against President Donald Trump, though it had arrived far too late to help Hillary Clinton win the election.

Of course, Brennan has never admitted his political motives. On the contrary, according to an in-depth Washington Post investigation (based on interviews with either Brennan himself or people very close to him), the CIA director claimed to be in possession of eye-popping intelligence reports about the DNC hack. These reports supposedly “captured Putin’s specific instructions on the operation’s audacious objectives — defeat or at least damage the Democratic nominee, Hillary Clinton, and help elect her opponent, Donald Trump.” Yet even if this intelligence trove actually did exist and truly did convince the CIA director, it obviously did not have the same persuasive impact on his colleagues, as evidenced by Brennan’s failure to deliver a consensus assessment of Putin’s motives.

This is a lengthy piece, and with a little effort I think Doran could (and should!) make it book-length.

But you should still read the whole thing.

I'm much less worried about a civil war in Canada.  We are too geographically dispersed and do not have as many 'militant' or military people. 

The US?  There'd be a rifle behind every blade of grass.

NavyShooter said:
I'm much less worried about a civil war in Canada.  We are too geographically dispersed and do not have as many 'militant' or military people. 

We also don't give a crap about anything worth fighting for with guns, thankfully. We also have eradicated the DNA of Locke or Sydney from our political discourse> we have Toronto, Twitter, Trudeau and Taxes. In that order.

Its become clear that what the Obama administration did to spy on Trump and then try to obstruct the election is a mark against their party.I cant wait until it happens to them.Now we have john kerry trying to undermine Trump's foreign policy by talking to Iran.He has no power fortunately.No civil war but this is why the dem's are going to lose some elections.Who could trust them ?

tomahawk6 said:
Its become clear that what the Obama administration did to spy on Trump and then try to obstruct the election is a mark against their party.

If we are still  going on about President Obama and the election*, I enjoy anonymous political opinions on social media as much as the next guy. But, I just know what I read in the news,

Experts rank Trump as worst president, Obama 8th best
https://www.axios.com/experts-rank-trump-as-worst-president-obama-as-8th-best-1519065065-dd7781fd-2070-484a-9553-f9cc676635e6.html

* U.S. intel report: Putin directed cyber campaign to help Trump

Russia’s objectives were to undermine public faith in the U.S. democratic process, denigrate former Secretary of State Clinton, make it harder for her to win and harm her presidency if she did, an unclassified report released on Friday by the top U.S. intelligence agency said.

“We assess Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the U.S. presidential election,” the report said. “We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump. We have high confidence in these judgments.”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-cyber-idUSKBN14Q1T8

Clinton won popular vote by nearly 2.9 million
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/clinton-won-popular-vote-by-nearly-2-9-million-1.3214378

END QUOTE

Nothing going on in the US that is heavily dividing people has anything to do with Obama anymore.  This is Trump policy, catering to his base, going against the grain of the establishment, and doing the whole "America First" thing.

The US is an extremely dangerous country internally - in my humble opinion - with the sheer number of people, weapons, a news media that is intentionally extreme regardless of what view they are cramming down the sheep's throats, in addition to the extreme fear mongering, etc etc.  The list of problems America faces internally is staggeringly long, and they all have the potential to combine & spiral quickly.

However from an ideological standpoint - a lot of people from both sides have become more united under Trump.  Opposition to the migrant camps, opposition to foreign policy aimed at both allies & potential goes alike, have brought people from both parties together.  It's united people under the "this is a bad idea" umbrella, from both parties.

Regardless...a civil war in the US I think would have a massive Canadian emigration to Australia & New Zealand.  I'd think, anyway.  (That's my plan if it kicks off down south...)

whiskey601 said:
We also don't give a crap about anything worth fighting for with guns, thankfully. We also have eradicated the DNA of Locke or Sydney from our political discourse> we have Toronto, Twitter, Trudeau and Taxes. In that order.

Plus we have hockey, which is a form of warfare....

These people all have their heads up their collective rectums, of course.

Having been (albeit briefly) engaged in a small part of a protracted and all encompassing conflict that could be described on some levels as a civil war, in Northern Ireland, there is nothing about the current state of affairs in the US that resembles a civil war.

And for that we should all be truly thankful. Seriously.

daftandbarmy said:
These people all have their heads up their collective rectums, of course.

Having been (albeit briefly) engaged in a small part of a protracted and all encompassing conflict that could be described on some levels as a civil war, in Northern Ireland, there is nothing about the current state of affairs in the US that resembles a civil war.

And for that we should all be truly thankful. Seriously.

With 400 million guns in American civilian hands, very thankful.

When Trump won election our leftists vowed to move to Canada.I don't remember any actually moving,I wish they had.

Back