• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Sunglasses While On Duty

IMHO,

CSMs/RSMs should have a special portion of their PER devoted to "number of dress and deportment orders passed down CoC"

The higher the number, the less the SNCO in question has to do, as apparently, he is underworked to the point where he is creating things to occupy his time!

:D

photochromic glasses now adays do switch fast enough. Just depands on manufacturer of your lens.

I have been wearing photochromic glasses for 15 + years and over the past 8 years I have been getting the lenses overseas as they are not like the ones here in Canada. I have absolutely no problem with the lens going for from birght to a dark and vice versa as they seem to change faster then many welding helmets going from dark to clear.   If you wear photochromic lenses watch the dam military optometrists as they seem clueless what is approved and not approved for wear.

When I joined the military the optometrist never told me photochromic glasses were not authorized and I had 3 perscription lens changes (for the better) in 2 years and still no indication I was wearing unauthorized eyewear.   It took a RSM to point out my eyewear in field and was asked to remove my glasses immediately. Being a smart *** I asked the RSM for his medical papers that would proved he as authorized to order the removal a medical aid. Not a bright move on my end. But on the positive side within 2 days and email and letter was send out to the base optometrists to clarify the issue with members wearing photochromic glasses.

To this day I am still stumped why none of my instructors in BMQ and QL3 never questioned my glasses. Could of been the fact they changed so fast from dark to clear.

There was a guy on my BMQ/SQ/DP1 who wore this type of lenses and they changed pretty fast, and was never asked to remove them, and he never even had papers or anything saying that he needed them. And if I recall correctly one of my instructors did as well and encouraged us candidates to wear them as well, were it saved time and trouble switching back and forth.

MacKenzie1NSH said:
There was a guy on my BMQ/SQ/DP1 who wore this type of lenses and they changed pretty fast, and was never asked to remove them, and he never even had papers or anything saying that he needed them. And if I recall correctly one of my instructors did as well and encouraged us candidates to wear them as well, were it saved time and trouble switching back and forth.
Now, you are talking about Reserve Training and Reserve Instructors, who at times tend to ignore CF Rules and Regulations.   Your example is not a good one and shows a Failure in both the students and instructors to follow those Rules and Regulations.   As Martha Stewart would say: "Not a Good Thing!"

George,
While glasses are provided to Reg force personnel, Reservists have to get theirs on their own nickle... resulting in some adjustments to Civ sensibilities.

The fact that the balistic protection glasses are now distributed force wide should make decisions and the enforcement of rules a lot easier IMHO

George Wallace said:
Now, you are talking about Reserve Training and Reserve Instructors, who at times tend to ignore CF Rules and Regulations.   Your example is not a good one and shows a Failure in both the students and instructors to follow those Rules and Regulations.   As Martha Stewart would say: "Not a Good Thing!"

I will agree with you on that one, but they are slowly starting to force the reservists to go to an optroptometrist to find thier prescription and provide it to their units so they can order in the prescription ballistics, so I guess it is just our way of dealing with it for now.

Maybe I'm a prima donna, but I won't get caught dead in the ballistic glasses unless I'm in the field- don't get me wrong, if I'm bush bashing they're a great piece of kit, but they're fugly. If it's a nice bright autumn day and I'm down at the armouries for a day of class A cleaning weapons or some such, I'll wear my (plain, black, Wal-Mart $15) civvie sunglasses when I go to the Rideau centre for lunch.

That being said, I'm impressed with the ballistic glasses when used for their intended purposes- that is, in the field. The little carrying case they come in is nifty, too.  ;D I know a lot of guys who've broken noise discipline to utter "My eye!" in combination with various and sundry obscenities, myself included. I've spoken to a few medics, and they've said that minor eye uinjuries are among the most common ones they see when they support a reserve exercise; hopefully these new glasses will help that...

For whatever MY opinion is worth...  :)

Over the last few years I've driven Offrs, Sr NCO's, and other VIP's around.  When talking to them directly (while not driving), I take my glasses off.  When driving, they be on.

My glasses are Oakley's, black frames, black lenses, and nope, you can't see my eyes in them.  Never met anyone higher yet (an RSM?) that INSISTED that my eyes be visible but NO ONE has once complained, esp when the glasses are off when appropriate.  Always thought that if'n y'all jes' git "quiet-coloured" glasses and wear them when necessary, never have a problem.  Pink?!?  Dark pink, MAYBE... ;-)

Of course, even in the regs, the measly $26 glasses allowance can be useless.  I have a big melon so I needed special frames; only Oakley made a frame big enough.  Plus I ordered full UV protection (to prevent cataracts) and polarized lenses (greatly reduce eyestrain) for a total cost of over $500.  Had to take it on the chin myself, but worth it.

Of course the problem is what happens on a bright sunny day when in the field, doing something tactical?  The goggles still aren't avail to support types (so I've been told in Wx) so if I damage my shades in the field, it's $500 buckaroonies down the drain.

I've tried clipons over my regular glasses, but they're just too darn heavy.  With a sweaty face, they just slide down.  I imagine this is everyone that wears glasses in the field?  And unfortunately you can't wear those black tie things around the back of your head to hold your glasses on, not that you'd see it anyway with the helmet on.

So for now, it's me and my $500 buck Oakleys.  Should get them insured...  ::)

Redneck... you can try insurance... have doubts you can claim on em if you tell the adjustor how you lost em though.

As you have indicated, most RSMs aren't necessarily "anal" and quiet sobre coloured sunglasses have never been a problem. Pull out some mirrored / fluorescent coloured sunglasses that brings attention to yourself and you'll pay the price.

With respect to having a big mellon - if the ballistic glasses aren't big enough, report it to the Log types - they have a responsibility to provide eye protection.

And... yeah - ballistic glasses are in full distribution throughout Reg & Reserve forces. (Even the HQ Puzzle Palace types are on the distribution).

Ballistic glasses?  Never heard of them, but I'll definitely look them up when I get back.  Thanks!

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/2_0_65.asp?uSubSection=65&uSection=3

if you need a prescription - your unit will order the inserts that go with them.

Back