• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Waiting Game

Wow I had no clue other folks were languishing in the system like me. I’ve been dabbling for like 3 years. Now I went for an interview so I thought an offer would be 10 days after the interview.

Question:  if you interview with a regiment that really needs someone in your speciality isn’t the chance of moving fast through recruiting more likely? 

Also, doesn’t harassing he recruiter help?  Email, attending on site, phone calls?  Like showing you really want in as opposed to just waiting for them??

ontheedge said:
Wow I had no clue other folks were languishing in the system like me. I’ve been dabbling for like 3 years. Now I went for an interview so I thought an offer would be 10 days after the interview.

Question:  if you interview with a regiment that really needs someone in your speciality isn’t the chance of moving fast through recruiting more likely? 

Also, doesn’t harassing he recruiter help?  Email, attending on site, phone calls?  Like showing you really want in as opposed to just waiting for them??

How did you have no clue? You’ve been around these forums long enough to have seen posts requesting new users to take the time to read/research at least some of their questions and there are a ton of RegF and PRes examples of lengthy recruiting times for varying reasons floating around. (Not to mention answers to many other questions you’ve posed along the way.)

In reviewing your posts since you joined the site you seem rather intent on drawing negative attention to yourself in varying ways. I really don’t know if this is intentional or not, but you need to be aware. This is not meant as an insult, but rather, take it as constructive criticism. Read more, post less, be aware of how you’re coming across. DS encourages new users to find their way around and adapt to the tone and dynamic of the site and its users, just like you’ll have to in your unit, regardless of your position. There’s a decent possibility you’re among potential future colleagues here. I strongly urge you to bear that in mind.

At this point, I’m tempted to almost consider your recruiting question as trolling. “Harrassing” a Recruiter is strongly ill-advised. There are also many threads discussing the frequency with which it’s generally considered acceptable to be inquiring about one’s process. I’ll let you find them. 

I went over quite a few pages of application processes. Didn’t see many in the 7 year range. 

ontheedge said:

I'm not actually languishing. I put the brakes on everything for a few months due to having to help my father handle the affairs of the estate of my grandparents. Since I was extremely close to them, I wanted to get through the grieving process to remove the distraction it would create. I'm just past the year mark since my initial contact/application.

ontheedge said:
I went over quite a few pages of application processes. Didn’t see many in the 7 year range.

But you saw some? So you didn’t have “...no clue...” then. ::)

Xylric said:
I'm not actually languishing. I put the brakes on everything for a few months due to having to help my father handle the affairs of the estate of my grandparents. Since I was extremely close to them, I wanted to get through the grieving process to remove the distraction it would create. I'm just past the year mark since my initial contact/application.

Sorry you’re going through that and having to deal with that.

What’s not clear from the application process page (258 pages and 15 years worth of data for people new to this site) is why some folks move fast through the system. Each case is different and so hard to predict from the outset.

Also when I scroll through the pages I see some years demand for troops seems to be higher (2003) when many applications seemed to move fast. Then later on things slowed down, people posting didn’t update their BMQ dates... etc.

Anyhow point being, the data is a trove of information... to be read in addition to reading personal stories.

I’ll stop posting for a few days. I think people are starting to get annoyed by my posts. :-(

ontheedge said:
Sorry you’re going through that and having to deal with that.

What’s not clear from the application process page (258 pages and 15 years worth of data for people new to this site) is why some folks move fast through the system. Each case is different and so hard to predict from the outset.

Also when I scroll through the pages I see some years demand for troops seems to be higher (2003) when many applications seemed to move fast. Then later on things slowed down, people posting didn’t update their BMQ dates... etc.

Anyhow point being, the data is a trove of information... to be read in addition to reading personal stories.

I’ll stop posting for a few days. I think people are starting to get annoyed by my posts. :-(

Don't be. All it means that while I initially applied in late august last year, and was contacted to sit the CFAT in October, I didn't write it until January. I actually had my medical a year to the day of my grandmother's passing, because she would've loved the symbolism to it.

ontheedge said:

As much as BeyondTheNow already spoke on this, I want to touch base on this comment.

"harassing" the recruiters does absolutely nothing for your file.  It's not the Recruiter who decides whether you get in or not.  When you contact them (on site, email or phone call) all they do is make a log on your file that you've followed up and what information they gave you.  Why is this logged?  Just in case another recruiter looks at your file, it doesn't actually help (or hinder) your file.  Applicants are selected on the strength of their file, not how often they follow up.

Applicant 1: scores low on their CFAT/TSD and interview but follows up with their recruiter every 2 days (in person, email, phone call)
Applicant 2: scores extremely well on their CFAT/TSD, rocks their interview and never follows up with their recruiter.
Applicant 3: scores low on their CFAST/TSD, does ok on their interview and follows up with their recruiter every 2 weeks.

The order in which these people will be picked is:
First Picked: Applicant 2
Second Picked: Possibly Applicant 3
Applicant 1 due to low scores may never receive an offer

Notice that the frequency of follow up has NOTHING to do with the selection or receiving an offer.

Again the Recruiters at the CFRCs have NOTHING to do with the selection of individuals to join the CAF.  Selections are done by a team of individuals at Recruiting Group Headquarters and they don't look at your applicant log.

So what happens if you do incredibly well on the CFAT/TSD, but poorly in the interview? I imagine one would fall somewhere on the same line as Applicant 3 in your example?

Xylric said:
So what happens if you do incredibly well on the CFAT/TSD, but poorly in the interview? I imagine one would fall somewhere on the same line as Applicant 3 in your example?

Fathoming a guess - if a person is in good physical shape and smart etc but interviews poorly, I would guess that where having quality discussions with a recruiter could be value. They could talk you into other trades that might be a better fit?  Drop hints as to what to do etc.

Since I used the word “harass” in an earlier post, I should just clarify that I meant you should be tenacious. Not to actually harass anyone. Just not give up so easily.

Well, I've gotten the requested forms filled out and submitted by my GP, alongside the optometry appointment (which to no surprise, revealed that I have slightly better than perfect vision). Now I believe the only thing left to do is wait for the decision of whether or not I am medically suitable. If I'm not, I'm better off for knowing why that's the case (and if it's something which is a serious concern - like an irregularity detected in the EEG, I can get it treated early).

If I am, well, then I have a very interesting conversation with my uncle, a retired Warrant Officer.

So I've recieved the letter outlining the reasons why I am not medically eligible, and I have to admit, I'm happier than I thought I would be over its contents - it's exactly what I thought the largest concern would be, and I believe I have a reasonable case to present with any appeal - I just need to decide if that's what I should do.

I waited 18 months for medical as the last step, but the real problem is just starting.
How long your medical assessment come back? 2 months?

Xylric said:
So I've recieved the letter outlining the reasons why I am not medically eligible, and I have to admit, I'm happier than I thought I would be over its contents - it's exactly what I thought the largest concern would be, and I believe I have a reasonable case to present with any appeal - I just need to decide if that's what I should do.

lid said:
I waited 18 months for medical as the last step, but the real problem is just starting.
How long your medical assessment come back? 2 months?

I had my medical evaluation October 24th, 2018 (One year to the day after my grandmother passed away, which was a key reason why I delayed writing the CFAT until February 2018), and recieved a phone call letting me know that I had been found ineligible in mid-December. It took until the middle of January for me to recieve the letter.

Truth be told, the reason I was found ineligible would have been moot if I was clearly employed, but because my situation involves nearly full-time remote *unpaid* work with a company in the United States, it's a fair bit more complicated. The downside of being one of the founders of a start-up firm of this type - I can't pay myself if no one else is getting paid yet. I would clearly lack the moral health to serve in the military if I behaved in such a selfish manner, after all.

It sounds as you had moral health trouble rather than physical? I think medical only deal with physical issue.
Anyway I have real physical (cardiology) problem. Good to know it will take like 7 weeks. Thanks a lot.

Xylric said:
I had my medical evaluation October 24th, 2018 (One year to the day after my grandmother passed away, which was a key reason why I delayed writing the CFAT until February 2018), and recieved a phone call letting me know that I had been found ineligible in mid-December. It took until the middle of January for me to recieve the letter.

Truth be told, the reason I was found ineligible would have been moot if I was clearly employed, but because my situation involves nearly full-time remote *unpaid* work with a company in the United States, it's a fair bit more complicated. The downside of being one of the founders of a start-up firm of this type - I can't pay myself if no one else is getting paid yet. I would clearly lack the moral health to serve in the military if I behaved in such a selfish manner, after all.

I'll offer my personal experience here to compare:

After submitting my medical papers I waited over 3-4 months before they sent me a letter saying I was physically unfit for service. Something on my ECG.

I visited the cardiologist for testing and was given the green light. I have submitted the test results to my Recruitment Centre to appeal the letter.

It has been 3 months since I submitted that appeal but my file is still waiting to be reviewed. Apparently your file goes to Ottawa and there is a large bottleneck there.

Patience. Nothing else you can really do. I check in with the recruiters every 4 weeks just to make sure my file hasn't fallen through the cracks.

lid said:
It sounds as you had moral health trouble rather than physical? I think medical only deal with physical issue.
Anyway I have real physical (cardiology) problem. Good to know it will take like 7 weeks. Thanks a lot.

Not exactly. My mental health is very, very strong. It's just that I am also a neurological anomaly (and it's this fact which is at play). The fact that I was diagnosed with Asperger's in January 2015 does not change the fact that my scores are exceptional or that I passed the MOST. I daresay that if I had applied to the military after graduating from Sheridan in 2011, I'd have succeeded. But considering that a combination of factors meant that I've been underemployed since then...

I'm somewhat self-employed, but at same time I have several part-time work, so managers can "prove" I'm socially good. I think that's what you need (or recruitment need).
I recommend sending delivery as easy start, meeting hundreds of people everyday and not getting rejected. ;D

Xylric said:
Not exactly. My mental health is very, very strong. It's just that I am also a neurological anomaly (and it's this fact which is at play). The fact that I was diagnosed with Asperger's in January 2015 does not change the fact that my scores are exceptional or that I passed the MOST. I daresay that if I had applied to the military after graduating from Sheridan in 2011, I'd have succeeded. But considering that a combination of factors meant that I've been underemployed since then...

lid said:
I'm somewhat self-employed, but at same time I have several part-time work, so managers can "prove" I'm socially good. I think that's what you need (or recruitment need).
I recommend sending delivery as easy start, meeting hundreds of people everyday and not getting rejected. ;D

I run a game development studio which exists entirely in cyberspace, we have about 90 people scattered all over the world (with the majority in the United States). It's just that as a start-up, I don't get paid until we ship our first title. We're on year 7 of a 7 year cycle, so while it's rapidly approaching, I've needed to rely on other things.

Hello all,

Just wondering, what is the longest wait time span between application to enrollment that you know of, after which a person still enrolled?

I am at 2.5 years, applied in October 2018. It was delayed because of a lengthy background check (about a year), then a foot fracture (about 4 months), and now COVID-19. At this moment, I have passed every test (CFAT, medical, physical, interview), and am waiting for the call.

I am wondering if there is a policy that limits the time between application and enrollment before which you have to automatically restart the entire process.

Back