• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Veterans Affairs says worker ‘inappropriately’ discussed medically assisted death with veteran

I support MAID as well for those that are beyond hope and thinking clearly. I agree with you.
Hoping for the love of god that people have very frank and open discussions with their loved ones while their brains are still running on all cylinders.
When the time comes, hoping the relatives or close friends know with a clear concscience to make the call.

Not sure about all provinces, but in NS the MAiD discussion and decision is between the person, and their physician and the that looks after MAiD. The family, etc have “no say” in the process. Meaning, for family/loves ones it’s not their fall to make. I was unfortunate to go thru the process as a DA with a VSI member who was terminal.

Hoping for the love of god that people have very frank and open discussions with their loved ones while their brains are still running on all cylinders.
When the time comes, hoping the relatives or close friends know with a clear concscience to make the call.
Under the current ruleset, the individual electing MAiD must be of sound mind at the time of the procedure.

There are checkpoints beyond the initial choice; if the individual is found to not be mentally competent, MAiD is no longer an option.

Under the current ruleset, the individual electing MAiD must be of sound mind at the time of the procedure.

There are checkpoints beyond the initial choice; if the individual is found to not be mentally competent, MAiD is no longer an option.

Unless you have a Waiver of Final Consent.

Canada's medical assistance in dying law allows you to waive the requirement for giving final consent just before MAID is provided, only if:

• your natural death is reasonably foreseeable
AND

• while you had decision-making capacity:
    • you were assessed and approved to receive MAID
    • your practitioner advised that you are at risk of losing capacity to provide final consent
    • you made a written arrangement with your practitioner in which you consent in advance to receive MAID on your chosen date if you no longer have capacity to consent on that date

I can tolerate almost anything - except pain.

Even so, I don't think either my wife or I would ever consider signing up for a "Kevorkian".

Religous reasons, for one thing. Neither of ours buy into it.

But, I like that it is an option for those who feel the need.

I can tolerate almost anything - except pain.

Even so, I don't think either my wife or I would ever consider signing up for a "Kevorkian".

Religous reasons, for one thing. Neither of ours buy into it.

But, I like that it is an option for those who feel the need.

Fully agree with you. The option should be there. The individual can choose yes or no for whatever reasons they see fit.

My only personal experience was with my father. He was 79, avid ( to put it mildly ) golfer, booked for vacation in France, and a Navy reunion in Red Deer, Alberta.

Then suddenly got sick and passed away within two months. I had never seen him sick before that.

I didn't speak to him about it, but I was a little bit concerned he might drive into a wild area of High Park and blow his brains out. Certainly would not have been the first. Even our Chief of Police did it there in the front seat of his cruiser.

I did mention my concern to my ex, and she spoke to him. She's a nurse, and if it hadn't been for her... I don't know how my sister ( who was serving in Alberta ) mother and I would have managed. She took care of everything. Mom was really stressed out. I was too.
I went on EI for the only time in my life. Compassionate Care benefit.

So, after seeing my father handle it like a man, I think I could too.

But, it's good the option is there.

Do you feel this current government under Justin T is looking after Canadians best interest?

Sincerely curious. Voted liberal most times in my life but not currently.

Despite all of our Canadian whining, and I'm no big JT fan...

... IMHO, in social democracies like Canada, most governments - whether left or right leaning - look after most people pretty well regardless of who the Prime Minister is.

If you need convincing, I'd suggest having a chat with a recent immigrant from any 'developing country'.

In 1983 I missed the death of my father. He died alone in a hospital bed at 2 o'clock in the morning of brain cancer. The last time I saw him he was muttering "they shoot horses don't they". He had chosen to fight his cancer with radical but medically accepted treatments. He survived in pain for 6 months as he was reduced to what we Scots refer to as "a rickle of bones". Despite heavy medication he couldn't bear to be touched and couldn't suffer the agony of swallowing.

In 1985 I watched the dying of my mother and heard her death rattle. She died in a hospital bed at 2 o'clock in the morning of cancer of the colon that predated my father's cancer and had metastatized through the liver and the spleen. She chose not to fight the cancer. She was hooked up to a morphine drip and freely allowed to ask for more pain relief. I am pretty sure that the doctors and nurses the hospital attending her, a hospital under a Catholic board were not overly fastidious in managing her doses. She and I were grateful.

I can tolerate anything, except pain. Stub my toe, and I'm telling my wife, "Call Kevorkian!"

Not sure about all provinces, but in NS the MAiD discussion and decision is between the person, and their physician and the that looks after MAiD. The family, etc have “no say” in the process. Meaning, for family/loves ones it’s not their fall to make. I was unfortunate to go thru the process as a DA with a VSI member who was terminal.

That’s standard across Canada. Unusually for a medical procedure, the statutory structure allowing for this is actually found in the Criminal Code.

Back