• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC application process : timeline and update

Res Release Clerk

Inactive
Reaction score
I posted in December of last year about VAC. After 10 months, here's the timeline and update on my file :

- November 20th 2009 : called VAC to start the process
- November 27th 2009 : they sent me the forms for a guy with hemoroid problems in Valcartier instead of my forms for a knee problem. I called his wife and amazingly, she had my docs, so we switched paperwork.
- December 17th 2009 : I filled out my VAC paperwork, which I then sent,  with all the tests results, to VAC by registered mail.
- December 18th 2009 : they received my docs. From that date, they now have 24 weeks to give me an answer on  if they think my injuries were caused by the CF (the 5/5th thing)
- April 29th 2010 : received a letter from VAC stating that my file has been sent to Charlottetown
- May 27th 2010 : received a letter from VAC stating that I was awarded 5/5th for both claims (major PCL laxity and FPS. However, they say they don't have enough information to establish a percentage of disability and that I need to see their VAC doctor. I will get a call to give me an appointment for that in the near future.
- August 3rd 2010 : received the call from VAC. My appointment with their doctor is on Sept 22nd 2010 (so I haven't been there yet)

For those of you who have gone to the VAC doctor :
- were they fair in their assessment of your condition?
- should I expect them to try to minimize the impact of the injury on my life (QOL, etc.)?
- should I expect trick questions?
- If I have a few expert report on the injury, will the VAC doctor try to not take them into consideration at all?
- Will I know which chart they'll use for their assessement?
For exemple, for my PCL laxity, I'm pretty sure they'll have to use the chapter 17 chart for the knees (17.11) so I can't see getting anything less than 13% (unstable knee confirmed my a clinical exam) or for the FPS, I think they'd have to use the 17.9 chart.

How are the chapter 2 (QOL) and the chapter 19 (activities of daily living) used for the percentage? Do I add the chapter 17 percentage I'll get, PLUS the chapter 19 PLUS the chapter 2? Or is is just the knee chart percentage? I'm a bit confused.

Any help/answers would be appreciated.

Res Release Clerk said:
In my experience with the Dr's in Kingston and Saint John, yes.

- should I expect them to try to minimize the impact of the injury on my life (QOL, etc.)?
They didn't for me.

- should I expect trick questions?
Nothing was asked of me that was a surprise in any way, and certainly not anything intended to trip me up.

- If I have a few expert report on the injury, will the VAC doctor try to not take them into consideration at all?
The VAC Dr will not, the Pension Review Board will during the adjudication.

- Will I know which chart they'll use for their assessement?
I didn't. Like you, I guessed which one (an ankle for me), and I was right. It seems pretty simplistic for joint injuries.

For exemple, for my PCL laxity, I'm pretty sure they'll have to use the chapter 17 chart for the knees (17.11) so I can't see getting anything less than 13% (unstable knee confirmed my a clinical exam) or for the FPS, I think they'd have to use the 17.9 chart.
Don't get hung up on %'s yet, you're a long way from that. If your result is anything like mine (and others from what I have heard), then you will be appealing.

How are the chapter 2 (QOL) and the chapter 19 (activities of daily living) used for the percentage? Do I add the chapter 17 percentage I'll get, PLUS the chapter 19 PLUS the chapter 2? Or is is just the knee chart percentage? I'm a bit confused.
It gets a bit tricky on whether anything is bracketed for assesment purposes or not. My advice, don't look at the % too much, you'll only be even more pissed off when your decision comes in and it is nowhere near what you figure it should be. You would be surprised at how they can carve up a joint injury into different injuries (each needing thier own application).

Wook

Good advice concerning the %s.  I met with VAC two weeks ago and after the intros, said the only reason I'm here is because I was directed by the Dr. and have no expectation for anything from VAC.  He was actually nice after that little nugget and the meeting went good.  I'm keeping my expectations grounded, so if I here from them <2012 I'll be pretty happy.

A Medical Questionnaire is completed referencing your medical file and the actual physical examination by the VAC District Medical Officer (a qualified, practicing medical doctor). You complete a Quality of Life Questionnaire. You can also include a letter of additional info, as the QOL Questionnaire has limited space.

For both an initial VAC medical assessment or a reassessment of a pensioned condition, the two forms (plus your letter if applicable) are sent to VAC Head Office in Charlottetown.

When your file reaches the top , it is reviewed by "Disability Adjudication" clerk. That person decides what you get.

Since 2006, VAC local District Medical Officers/Senior District Medical Officers ceased to make recommendations on the clients conditions. It is the "Disability Adjudication" clerk who makes the judgement. I do not know what training the "Disability Adjudication" clerks have, but I bet they certainly are not trained medical professionals. They probably have access to an Medical Doctor to ask questions re the Medical Questionnaire.

The point is that "Disability Adjudication" clerk, sitting in warm fussy office in Charlottetown, who has never medically examined you, let alone spoken to you one on one WRT your QOL/medical condition, can override everything a Medical Doctor has written. My understanding is that they fit the words written in the two Questionnaires into the Table of Disabilities, and voila, you get your disability award (or not).

What qualifications/experience is required for a VAC "Disability Adjudication" clerk? Has anyone ever seen a job posting?

A couple of years ago I posted re VAC's 2006/current Table of Disabilities. Several that I know about (and I am sure lots were changed in 2006) made it more difficult to qualify for a disability. e.g. with thousands of our soldiers in combat or had experienced a combat incident, where wearing hearing protection (like on a firing range) was a non starter, why did VAC raise the standards of hearing loss eligibility?

For reading on this subject refer to the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFP) website: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2821236/

Caution: The article was written by VAC. Doctors stick together, and VAC is telling the CFP how to comply with VAC's process. Do you think that your doctor, military or civilian, is going to not follow the CFP rules as written by VAC?

Forms for father
Military Veteran with unmet health care needs

Margaret Boswall, MD, Suzanne O’Hanley, MD, Nicole Caron-Boulet, MD CCFP FCFP, and James M. Thompson, MD CCFP(EM) FCFP
Dr Boswall is a Senior Medical Advisor at Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Head Office in Charlottetown, PEI. Dr O’Hanley is a Medical Advisor at VAC Head Office. Dr Caron-Boulet is Regional Medical Officer for the Western Region in Winnipeg, Man. Dr Thompson is a Medical Advisor in the Research Directorate at VAC Head Office

Veteran Health Files is a quarterly series in Canadian Family Physician coordinated by Veterans Affairs Canada. The series explores situations experienced by family physicians caring for Veterans of military service. For further information on this series, contact Dr Jim Thompson, Veterans Affairs Canada, Charlottetown, PEI; e-mail research-recherche@vac-acc.gc.ca.

Thanks for the additionnal information, it's greatly appreciated. It's the first time I'll see a VAC doctor but the letter they sent me says "reassessment of a medical condition" instead of just assessment. Does that make a difference? Should I mention it to the doc?

I was supposed to go today but I was tasked on some project so I have to schedule another appointment. I guess it'll only take longer to process but I'm not in a hurry.

If they do fit the words in the questionnaires and reports into the table of disabilities, it should be easier and I should get about what I think I should get. We shall see!

Possibly, VAC is reassessing the medical condition as stated in your medical documents in conjunction with a VAC Medical Officers report so that the Disability Adjudication clerk  can determine how much of a disability you have.

If you got 5/5ths , you are extremely fortunate.

Speak to your C of C. A VAC appointment is important. You may have to wait up to 24 weeks after your appointment to receive a decision. That's VAC's standard of service.

Don't hold your breath, and prepare to be disappointed.

I should get about what I think I should get
Doubt it.

Hi

I am a reporter from Ontario wanting to talk to personnel from the province about their experiences with VAC - or about their experiences coming home after service.

If anyone is interested in speaking with me, please let me know.

Thanks,
pamela - metrolandnorthmedia

Back