• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Navy issuing Flame Resistant Coverall Uniform

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Yes, our NCD's are fire resistant.

Prior to that, however, the old garrison dress/work dress that we used at sea was made of the crapiest 100% polyester and a real menace. I had one of mine melt in a second on the spot where I accidentally backed into
one of the galley's stove top edge. I started wearing long sleeve all cotton t-shirts and underwear very shortly thereafter.

I think the Americas had the same situation in the seventies/early eighties: Their seaman's issued dress were polyester, but they could get all cotton ones at their expense from the BX. They even had a safety campaign that used the slogan: "Make Mine Cotton".

Thanks, Oldgateboatdriver.

In addition to the actual NCDs there is also the anti-flash gear that sailors  put on during emergency/action stations that is also fire resistant.  It's meant to prevent/reduce burns from short term 'flash fires'.

There was some videos from the NETE experiments on it a few years ago as part of the NICE program, where they basically used a flamethrower on a dummy wearing a used set.  Worked pretty well.  I think the videos may be available on the NICE webpage, although I don't have access to it at the moment.

You can see some guys on the bridge of HMCS Toronto sporting them during a dog and pony video from OP Artemis whlie at action stations here, along with flak vest and helmet for shrapnel;

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=news&template=news-nouvelles_detail_eng.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=1882&site=combatcamera

They don't get any style points, but neither does 3rd degree facial burns, so I'll go with the sad ninja mask.

Complete with cam cover on the helmet.......and a woodlands pattern flak vest.

It's in case you run aground and have to fight your way through the forest!  (Insert joke about HMCS ALG leading the charge ashore here)

Did find the cam cover strange, I don't remember seeing those on any we had in the bridge rack or in the FP gear locker (read battered Office Depot cabinet bolted in an incovenient location)

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/01/navy-begins-distributing-flameresistant-clothing

Looks like the USN is starting to issue them out now.

Is it just me or do they look exactly like the ones their submariners have been using for decades?

Looks like the USN is planning on ditching the Naval Working Uniform "Blueberries" altogether.  Again, why the USN thought having a non-fire-retardant uniform at sea was acceptable defies belief.

After six years in the fleet and some controversy, the blue-and-gray cammies could be headed for Davy Jones' seabag.

The digital blue Navy Working Uniforms were a fleet mainstay until 2013 after they were found to be unsafe to wear while fighting a fire. One plan is ditching these blue Navy working uniforms in favor of their green cousin. The service could potentially save millions by switching to the woodland cammies already worn by Seabees and master-at-arms. The green-and-tans are also not flame-resistant but would be the standard for ashore wear; flame-resistant coveralls and flight suits are mainstays for at-sea wear.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/04/23/navy-ready-dump-militarys-most-pointless-uniform/83247058/

Will they keep them, attrition them out of stock with folks who are ashore or something?

This is great news for the USN, not really sure why this is such a time consuming effort for everyone. I can buy a set of FR clothing online for about $150 and have it in under a week, but I'm also smart enough to not cover the outside of it with synthetic materials that will melt to my skin if I actually need the FR properties of the expensive uniform.

Those are the reasons given that I am aware of. The dress committee didn't like the look or thought of coveralls. They do have a bit of a point, in that I remember seeing pictures of Winston Churchill in coveralls... mind you, guys in that shape don't look any better in NCD's either.
The RCN C&POs mafia have this fetish of work clothes as walking out dress. I tell the kids the only time I wear NCD's is when I'm crossing the brow and the ship is under sailing orders or I'm going to do something dirty ashore (actual work you animals... :ROFLMAO: ). But then again I'm old and out of touch according to the cool kids.

but I'm also smart enough to not cover the outside of it with synthetic materials that will melt to my skin if I actually need the FR properties of the expensive uniform.
Flight suit patches enter the chat

The RCN C&POs mafia have this fetish of work clothes as walking out dress.
I'm pretty sure it's not just the RCN who have that fetish.

The RCN C&POs mafia have this fetish of work clothes as walking out dress. I tell the kids the only time I wear NCD's is when I'm crossing the brow and the ship is under sailing orders or I'm going to do something dirty ashore (actual work you animals... :ROFLMAO: ). But then again I'm old and out of touch according to the cool kids.

Isn't the dress of the day generally dictated by the Commanding Officer in their standing orders? Whether or not you wear NCDs or DEUs really shouldn't be your choice like 95% of the time.

Here at Carling it’s N3’s for officers (RCN) and I’m seeing more MS and below in N3 as well. I find it beyond stupid to wear operational dress in an office environment and I refuse to wear NCD’s even if it is allowed on Friday’s.
Back in the day onboard ships officers were in salt and peppers at all times alongside and we only changed into combats once we sailed.

Back in the day onboard ships officers were in salt and peppers at all times alongside and we only changed into combats once we sailed.
Going back to the whole "fire" thing, I always thought that the OOD in S&P was a dumb idea.

Yes, even though it's a small fire, the first person rushing in probably shouldn't be wearing wool/poly pants, nylon socks, cotton (or poly) shirt, and an NCD jacket.

AFAIK officers aren't in S&P onboard ship anymore - depending on the fleet, they haven't been in...a decade? 15 years? I don't recall off hand.

The story I heard is that they tend to look slovenly (sp?) and the females did not like them due to the need to strip them all the way down to use the heads.

Probably more to it than that though.

NS

Those are the reasons given that I am aware of. The dress committee didn't like the look or thought of coveralls. They do have a bit of a point, in that I remember seeing pictures of Winston Churchill in coveralls... mind you, guys in that shape don't look any better in NCD's either.
Coveralls are great, they look way better than that ugly bus driver outfit the Navy calls a uniform.

They are also way quicker to get in to at emergency, rescue and action stations than the layered uniform with buttons.

I guarantee you that if you put a person with coveralls beside a person with a regular uniform and time them jumping out of their rack for an alarm, the person with coveralls will be quicker every time. Not just by a couple of seconds either, I'm talking like by a minute. It's enough that it's statistically significant.

There is a performance incentive for issuing everyone coveralls. An institution that cares about performance would take that in to consideration.

This is the RCN we are talking about though so I won't hold my breath.

Here at Carling it’s N3’s for officers (RCN) and I’m seeing more MS and below in N3 as well. I find it beyond stupid to wear operational dress in an office environment and I refuse to wear NCD’s even if it is allowed on Friday’s.
The last time I've heard of an XO or CO actually trying to get officers/snr NCMs to wear S&Ps as dress of the day aboard ship was back in 2013/2014 (Jesus I can't believe it's bene THAT long), and that direction was coming from one of the most hated Command teams then and potentially since then. Not that those two facts are related, or anything...

Back