• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Army to Purchase 473 new Bradley Fighting Vehicles

tomahawk6 said:
Namer isn't going to be bought by the US or Canada.WE will stick with the Bradley.

Don't say I didn't warn you ;)

Thucydides said:
Forecast of what the Army "wants" for their next generation vehicle. The wants list is rather fluid, and not clearly defined as of yet. Minor nitpick, this is the fourth attempt to replace the M2, with the Block III program in the early 1980's being the first (cancelled between the realization the Block III tank would be an 80,000kg monster and the "fall of the wall" rendering much of the program irrelevant, the FCV and the GCV programs described in the article). It is also interesting to compare the current Army wants list to the CV90, Puma and Lynx IFV's (or even the USMC Amphibious Combat Vehicle, for that matter).

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a21992161/the-armys-next-fighting-vehicle-will-be-a-troop-carrier/

I've heard a lot of great things from our guys who seen the CV90 up close and in action (well training). The Puma seems even better but I think the price tag is going to prevent many people from buying it. I think around 14 million USD per unit.

I thought Canada was considering the CV90 and Puma at one time to support our tanks.

Not really related but I found it's interesting that Japans newest super expensive main battle tank is being designed to support infantry rather than fight other tanks.  Maybe because Japan realizes infantry are better tank killers  ;D

Colin P said:
I recently watched a French video of a resupply convoy in Mali going to a remote FOB. The terrian is a far more effective at taking out vehicles, than enemy action. Mali appears to make much of Afghanistan seem positively urban and happening. There are valid reasons the French invest in light wheeled armour  and it's all about Africa.

That's why they should deploy and airmobile BGp/Brigade, so they don't have to use the roads. But they're probably too expensive, so just let the Infantry drive and deal wit it :)

Fly armed drones like we do in Afghanistan.There are already drones in country.Bring in more SF and dirt bikes.You have to be more mobile than the bad guys.Let the Mali Army patrol the bush with a link to air support.

tomahawk6 said:
Fly armed drones like we do in Afghanistan.There are already drones in country.Bring in more SF and dirt bikes.You have to be more mobile than the bad guys.Let the Mali Army patrol the bush with a link to air support.

Yup...this has been done effectively before elsewhere in Africa, and it seems to involve a potent mix of both air a ground forces deployed within the context of good intelligence operations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Bush_War

They didn't get the political angle right in this case, of course, but with international support it can work.

Clearly you don't understand, peace can only be achieved through the use of UN ROE's and blue berets. the use of war like equipment "triggers" the AQ to break from their peaceful existence.

The SF is great, but they need a place to rest and eventually you need to hold certain areas. The French apparently like to use airmobile roadblocks, to curtail road usage by the bad guys. Mali is so big, even a limited footprint is going to have huge distances involved. Mapping and monitoring remote water sources would go a long way to hunting down the bad guys. Mali is not kind to them either.

Back