• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

I watched this movie last night. I thought it offered a great deal of insights into naval dress.

And I would be fully supportive of the Captain having access to a tailor on board, like the Commander of the Graf Spee ;)

Action stations in 1As with medals on the open pilotage old boy.

Fantastic movie, but no Cruel Sea.

Ah yes, the "let's go with a date, not the weather" semi-annual hilarity.
Now you're just stirring shit. :sneaky:
Subject: R 230322Z MAR 23 - SEASONAL DRESS CHANGE

2. FURTHUR INFORMATION ON SEASONAL AND CLIMATIC DRESS CAN BE FOUND AT REF A. IF UNSEASONABLY COLD WEATHER OCCURS AFTER THE SUMMER DRESS CHANGE OVER DATE, WINTER DRESS CLOTHING ITEMS MAY BE WORN

Now you're just stirring shit. :sneaky:
Subject: R 230322Z MAR 23 - SEASONAL DRESS CHANGE

2. FURTHUR INFORMATION ON SEASONAL AND CLIMATIC DRESS CAN BE FOUND AT REF A. IF UNSEASONABLY COLD WEATHER OCCURS AFTER THE SUMMER DRESS CHANGE OVER DATE, WINTER DRESS CLOTHING ITEMS MAY BE WORN

Gah... I hate that we still play these silly buggers. Dress for the GD weather. Not some outmoded sense of Victorian fashion faux pas.

Gah... I hate that we still play these silly buggers. Dress for the GD weather. Not some outmoded sense of Victorian fashion faux pas.

schitts creek comedy GIF by CBC

Ha ha, you know that some of the youngsters need constant direction on both what to wear and how to wear it!

If the RCN didn't have two different types of DEUs that most people don't wear, that wouldn't be an issue.

I'm sure we're not, but we're definately in the minority. And the JRs of the RCN are ok with that.
Not all JRs of the RCN. I met plenty like myself which would have loved to have square rig. It is the quintessential Navy uniform and it looks sharp. Believe it or not there is a good number who join and wanted the Naval traditions we have gotten rid of. We also tend to leave when we realize the Navy isn't as it was.
The entire concept of a seperate set of uniforms only for the "lower deckers" is basically the last bloody thing we need. The whole "Navy is an aristocracy" thing is abhorrent to everything we're trying to achieve with culture change, while putting the Jrs back in Square Rig would only serve to further divide what should be a strong unified fighting team.

Peacocking is fine; peacocking based upon rank less so.
A strong unified fighting team means having clear distinct positions and authorities. It doesn’t mean being buddy buddy with anyone and everyone.

Familiarity breeds contempt, I have seen what happens when everyone gets to buddy buddy and fails to respect the CoC. We need more not less separation and respect for rank and position than what we have now.

Having uniforms based off rank, particularly traditional uniforms is logical, just as having the same uniform. Personally I wish I had square rig, its a source of pride as opposed to some bastardized officers uniform that was forced on the jr ranks in unification.

The Army didn't want pips and crowns and the RCN didn't clamour for the executive curl but looked what happened in the name of tradition.

When the Army gets its new khaki service uniform, people will start thinking now ... wait a minute, what about the RCAF and the RCN?

Tradition demands that the RCAF revert back to the same colour blue on their DEU as the RAF.

The RCN needs 8 buttons for its Officers, Square Rig for the PO2 and below, and traditional RCN rank insignia.

Wait a tick how about the Army revert back to its palms out salute? Walking sticks for the Officers? Handle bar moustaches for all male NCMs? Female hair styles just like in the 1950-60s for female NCMs? Plus all RCN NCMs should be encouraged to get a cross anchor tattoo on their forearm just liked in the old days.

Note, I wasn't in the CAF in the 1950s or 60s so I really don't know what it was like in the good old days.
I have a question, since you seem to know your stuff about this

What the hell is that killick in the middle wearing? Is it a rank specific uniform?

I really appreciate any information

Cheers

Attachments

• trialuniforms.jpg
    trialuniforms.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 14
Not all JRs of the RCN. I met plenty like myself which would have loved to have square rig. It is the quintessential Navy uniform and it looks sharp. Believe it or not there is a good number who join and wanted the Naval traditions we have gotten rid of. We also tend to leave when we realize the Navy isn't as it was.

A strong unified fighting team means having clear distinct positions and authorities. It doesn’t mean being buddy buddy with anyone and everyone.

Familiarity breeds contempt, I have seen what happens when everyone gets to buddy buddy and fails to respect the CoC. We need more not less separation and respect for rank and position than what we have now.

Having uniforms based off rank, particularly traditional uniforms is logical, just as having the same uniform. Personally I wish I had square rig, its a source of pride as opposed to some bastardized officers uniform that was forced on the jr ranks in unification.

We have a Command Master Sailor now at RCN HQ. If you feel strongly enough, I encourage you to pass your concerns to them.

Back