• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

If I was young again and going navy, damm right I would want Square Rig for a Dress uniform. I wore it in Cadets back in the day. Certainly better than the suit today. You could simplify a bit to make it easier to maintain.
The jumper can be modified do be basically a zip up jacket.
Its not that hard, but sure as anything Canada would screw it up, so best to leave enough alone, sadly.

The jumper can be modified do be basically a zip up jacket.
Its not that hard, but sure as anything Canada would screw it up, so best to leave enough alone, sadly.

Not just that, there is absolutely zero interest in returning to this from those who would have to wear it.

The Army didn't want pips and crowns and the RCN didn't clamour for the executive curl but looked what happened in the name of tradition.

When the Army gets its new khaki service uniform, people will start thinking now ... wait a minute, what about the RCAF and the RCN?

Tradition demands that the RCAF revert back to the same colour blue on their DEU as the RAF.

The RCN needs 8 buttons for its Officers, Square Rig for the PO2 and below, and traditional RCN rank insignia.

Wait a tick how about the Army revert back to its palms out salute? Walking sticks for the Officers? Handle bar moustaches for all male NCMs? Female hair styles just like in the 1950-60s for female NCMs? Plus all RCN NCMs should be encouraged to get a cross anchor tattoo on their forearm just liked in the old days.

Note, I wasn't in the CAF in the 1950s or 60s so I really don't know what it was like in the good old days.

The Army didn't want pips and crowns and the RCN didn't clamour for the executive curl but looked what happened in the name of tradition.

When the Army gets its new khaki service uniform, people will start thinking now ... wait a minute, what about the RCAF and the RCN?

Tradition demands that the RCAF revert back to the same colour blue on their DEU as the RAF.

The RCN needs 8 buttons for its Officers, Square Rig for the PO2 and below, and traditional RCN rank insignia.

Wait a tick how about the Army revert back to its palms out salute? Walking sticks for the Officers? Handle bar moustaches for all male NCMs? Female hair styles just like in the 1950-60s for female NCMs? Plus all RCN NCMs should be encouraged to get a cross anchor tattoo on their forearm just liked in the old days.

Note, I wasn't in the CAF in the 1950s or 60s so I really don't know what it was like in the good old days.
Did you just scour the FB comment thread? :sneaky:

4 points:

1. The officers desperately wanted the curl back.

2. We should have 8 button tunics for the officers

3. We should adopt a more RCN 1.0 NCM rank insignia.

4. Square rig rebirth will need to come from the JRs themselves.

4 points:

1. The officers desperately wanted the curl back.

2. We should have 8 button tunics for the officers

3. We should adopt a more RCN 1.0 NCM rank insignia.

4. Square rig rebirth will need to come from the JRs themselves.
Oxford tailors in Halifax proposed a rig for the Master Killicks and below. They actually had it on a mannequin in the lobby. It was a zip up jacket with the naval collar buttoned on the neck. The sailor wore a gun shirt and a fore and aft cap.

I would wager it would be more comfortable than the double breasted suit jacket and the neck crunching tie they wear now and cheaper to produce. If the lower deck was so dead set against the fore and aft cap then they could wear the current peak cap or beret.

Another question. How many times do the lower decks wear the jacket unless its on parade or some other ceremony? They sure don't wear it on board, and they sure don't wear it as office attire ashore.

Oxford tailors in Halifax proposed a rig for the Master Killicks and below. They actually had it on a mannequin in the lobby. It was a zip up jacket with the naval collar buttoned on the neck. The sailor wore a gun shirt and a fore and aft cap.

I would wager it would be more comfortable than the double breasted suit jacket and the neck crunching tie they wear now and cheaper to produce. If the lower deck was so dead set against the fore and aft cap then they could wear the current peak cap or beret.

Another question. How many times do the lower decks wear the jacket unless its on parade or some other ceremony? They sure don't wear it on board, and they sure don't wear it as office attire ashore.

It's matter not that most probably wear it twice a year, divisions and Nov 11th. The don't want it. That uniform is synonymous with the Sea Cadets and cracker jacks now. Not am image the JRs of the RCN of 2023 are interested in.

I do think officers and CPOs should be in peaked caps in NCDs.

I have no skin in this fight but theoretically, a simple survey of the JRs (not C & POs, not officers, not retirees) with two pictures, the current RCN uniform and the current RN uniform. The question could be "which one would you want to wear as DEU?"

People hate filling out surveys but are more incentivized to do so when it's about something physical and affects them publicly.

...or just start RUMINT on CAF Reddit and see what happens :sneaky:

or just start RUMINT on CAF Reddit and see what happens :sneaky:
Ooooooh I love that idea!
Plotting The Simpsons GIF

I have no skin in this fight but theoretically, a simple survey of the JRs (not C & POs, not officers, not retirees) with two pictures, the current RCN uniform and the current RN uniform. The question could be "which one would you want to wear as DEU?"

People hate filling out surveys but are more incentivized to do so when it's about something physical and affects them publicly.

...or just start RUMINT on CAF Reddit and see what happens :sneaky:

I'm true RCN tradition the decision will have already been made and the survey will be meaningless.

Back