• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

These are the smaller communities Canadians are moving to

Meanwhile in BC, not good at all. People are shocked that my wife and i don't have data on our phones, it's the monthly charges that add up that will kill you.

I bet the recommendations from that BC-based affordable housing group to tax home owners on houses more than $1M price (not equity) doesn’t help either.

You work hard, you increase the value of your home, and the Liberals take 50%. How is that fair? #NotAsA

Majority of people with houses in major cities have done nothing to increase its value in the traditional renovation sense. They’ve all inflated to crazy unaffordable prices without any hard work at all. I don’t care for these taxes but I can see how people who sit on this inflation will freak out when their retirement is taxed to oblivion.

Actually keeping a house on good shape over several decades is lots of hard work. Much easier then paying the landlord to do all the hard work....

Yes I’m very well aware. Basic home maintenance is not why everything has grown in price.
Supply and demand. Pure economics…in a free market, anyway.

So, how would you envision housing price control? Federal public servants come by and stamp a price on your house and tell you you can’t sell for anything more than X (where X is limited to the annual CPI %)?

They’ve all inflated to crazy unaffordable prices without any hard work at all.

Some people have to work hard to put aside $12K-20K for a roof job, and the money to pay someone to do it or the routine yard and building maintenance are both work - sometimes "hard" work.

The LPC passed a bunch of legislation aimed at wooing middle class voters over the past few years. I can guess the party is collectively smart enough to know that there are a lot of middle class homeowners, and to not want to undo all that wooing.

So, how would you envision housing price control? Federal public servants come by and stamp a price on your house and tell you you can’t sell for anything more than X (where X is limited to the annual CPI %)?

Do what the NDP have done in BC.... rob Peter (or Xing Shi) to pay Paul ;)

You will note that we have so many different taxes applicable to property in BC now that they felt compelled to deconflict this cash grab from the others, at the bottom:

Property transfer tax​

When you purchase or gain an interest in property that is registered at the Land Title Office, you or your legal professional must file a property transfer tax return and you must pay property transfer tax, unless you qualify for an exemption.
In most cases, property transfers are completed by a legal professional.
Transaction types include:
The property transfer tax is based on the fair market value of the property (land and improvements) on the day it was registered with the Land Title Office, unless you qualify for an exemption or purchase a pre-sold strata unit.

Property transfer tax should not be confused with annual property taxes. Annual property taxes are paid yearly to your municipal or rural tax office for each property you have a registered interest in to fund services in your area.

With price of housing spiralling out of control and wages not keeping up, not even close, who’s going to buy your retirement fund when it’s time? Gen Zs won’t, they can’t afford $1M+ starter homes in cities. I don’t know how to control increasing house prices, but controlling government induced inflation is a start.

With price of housing spiralling out of control and wages not keeping up, not even close, who’s going to buy your retirement fund when it’s time? Gen Zs won’t, they can’t afford $1M+ starter homes in cities. I don’t know how to control increasing house prices, but controlling government induced inflation is a start.
Don’t worry…it’ll sort itself out and correct when all the old people get pushed off onto the ice floe to die and the housing supply increases and prices plummet and the Gen Z’s can then buy in the heavily-discounted market.

No worries. Canada's immigration policy is to try to attract, and accept, the best and brightest. They'll come, work hard, earn well, and keep property values up.

No worries. Canada's immigration policy is to try to attract, and accept, the best and brightest. They'll come, work hard, earn well, and keep property values up.

That’s completely true. Why bother worrying about the kids already in canada when you can just bring in endless adults from other countries.

That’s completely true. Why bother worrying about the kids already in canada when you can just bring in endless adults from other countries.
Exactly! Harder working, more productive, better for the onward development of Canadian society and economy.

Exactly! Harder working, more productive, better for the onward development of Canadian society and economy.

That's a pretty bold statement... Is this where you tell us the youth of today are lazy and it was up hill both ways to school for you?

That's a pretty bold statement... Is this where you tell us the youth of today are lazy and it was up hill both ways to school for you?
I see that my demi-sarcasm (because there is more than just a hint of truth to it, notwithstanding Quirky’s clear nexus of self-interest) was too deeply buried for surface skimmers not to pass over…

I see that my demi-sarcasm (because there is more than just a hint of truth to it, notwithstanding Quirky’s clear nexus of self-interest) was too deeply buried for surface skimmers not to pass over…

GIF by Robert E Blackmon

I have immigrants come up to me and politely question our education system and when I say that much of it can't compete with oversea systems they start telling me how annoyed they are and how lazy kids are here. A lot of the immigrants are a self-selected type of highly motivated people who work twice as hard as Canadian born people. They make their kids do twice as much schooling and have high expectation on their marks. the reality is that a lot of Canadian born kids are not going to be able to compete with them for the high paying jobs and I am already seeing the domestic kids working for immigrant managers. This is going to have social consequences in the future.

I have immigrants come up to me and politely question our education system and when I say that much of it can't compete with oversea systems they start telling me how annoyed they are and how lazy kids are here. A lot of the immigrants are a self-selected type of highly motivated people who work twice as hard as Canadian born people. They make their kids do twice as much schooling and have high expectation on their marks. the reality is that a lot of Canadian born kids are not going to be able to compete with them for the high paying jobs and I am already seeing the domestic kids working for immigrant managers. This is going to have social consequences in the future.

As an example, if you recall all the epidemiologists you've seen on TV since COVID started - about 80% BIPOC I would say - you can tell which cultural groups are doing better than others - professions wise at any rate.

And you won't see too many of them at various 'woke outrage' on campus events either. They're too busy studying.

Yup. I’m actually bouncing around the idea of going back to school for trades training, after 37 years of work already, because there’s a market for people capable of, AND wanting to work, and working hands on with a variety of things is something I enjoy. A number of general contractors I’ve spoken with recently bemoan the shortage of qualified people willing to work. It’s not just trades, but general services and even professional services from what I’ve seen. I think we are in the “Good Times Make Weak People” phase of the Good/Tough/Times/People cycle…

Working down at the Vancouver Drydock Shipyard, the median age of workers is roughly around 55. The newer Seaspan shipyard is doing better, but there is a looming shortage of skilled trades workers.

Why go back to school for a post-retirement job?

I'm content to,
Sit at home fat dumb and happy and wait for that gov cheque to come in.

But, if I was not, our local transit commission is hiring. Not sure what their base pay is, but Operators are well represented on the Ontario sunshine list.

This role is ideal for you if you possess:​

• Minimum one to two years of face-to-face customer service experience
  • A non-probationary Ontario driver’s licence, Class “G” in good standing.
  • A Grade 12 Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or its recognized equivalent.
  • A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and courteously with the public
  • Experience with disability accommodation and accessibility requirements
  • The ability to work a flexible schedule that includes various shifts (nights, split shifts, weekends and holidays)
  • Large commercial vehicle driving experience is considered an asset
  • Professional experience working with persons with disabilities is considered an asset
I check all those boxes including a CZ licence and "large commercial vehicle driving experience".

Back