• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Monarchy and CF

OK, seriously, I think there may be a way to help make the Monarchy more Canadian in the eyes of the public. There could be a Ceremonial Rank that the Monarch holds. similar to Admiral of the Fleet, Marshal of the RCAF, and Field Marshal. This rank could be called Marshal of Canada (which would sound better than Supreme General of the CAF).
The folks that talk about the monarch being foreign won't care that there is a Canadian ceremonial rank.

but but their US and Brazil/US houses. You have to go House Moosehead to find Canadian.
Are any of them really independent anymore? Sleemans, Olands, Unibroue? Seems like as soon as they are big enough to get sold in the Beer Store they are picked up by a conglomerate. Which makes them easier to find and buy, so I'm kind of okay with it?

If you stick with truly independent you may be down to that weird guy at work who makes homebrew in his backyard with some kludged equipment (which sounds like a fun hobby). Just difficult to find large, locally owned anything in this stage where we are creeping towards the weird dystopia of corporations replacing countries.

Are any of them really independent anymore? Sleemans, Olands, Unibroue? Seems like as soon as they are big enough to get sold in the Beer Store they are picked up by a conglomerate. Which makes them easier to find and buy, so I'm kind of okay with it?

If you stick with truly independent you may be down to that weird guy at work who makes homebrew in his backyard with some kludged equipment (which sounds like a fun hobby). Just difficult to find large, locally owned anything in this stage where we are creeping towards the weird dystopia of corporations replacing countries.
No Moosehead is the largest Canadian owned brewery. Still family owned. Most of the rest are Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV, MolsonCoors and Sapporo. InBev even bought Mike's Hard. Many of the brands are of this three.

. . . You have to go House Moosehead to find Canadian.

As like beer, so for a monarch . . .

Why would anybody want to do that?

I'll admit it's probably been decades since I drank any Moosepiss (my Gagetown time was in the 1980s). During my time down in Texas (1990), I would often see Moosehead branded trucks moving their product about and was genuinely confused by American colleagues who thought that there was some special cachet in it being "imported". There was much better imported brew from Mexico (or even Colorado).

Some comments here made me look a bit more into Elective Monarchies. I didn’t realize how prevalent they are/were.

I was going to mention Canadian whiskey, but the major Canadian brands are all foreign owned now.
So everything Canadian seems to be foreign owned. For example, Hudson's Bay Company used to be an iconic and historic Canadian retailer, but has long been American owned. Don't really see why people whine that the Monarchy is "British". Most everything in Canada came from somewhere else, so what's the big deal? People just like to whine about something.

I was going to mention Canadian whiskey, but the major Canadian brands are all foreign owned now.
So everything Canadian seems to be foreign owned. For example, Hudson's Bay Company used to be an iconic and historic Canadian retailer, but has long been American owned. Don't really see why people whine that the Monarchy is "British". Most everything in Canada came from somewhere else, so what's the big deal? People just like to whine about something.
Good point. Isn’t half of Britain owned by the children of Russian oligarchs anyway? 🤔

Good point. Isn’t half of Britain owned by the children of Russian oligarchs anyway? 🤔

And the Royal Families are related, of course, although George V could be argued to have let them die:

How the British royal family is related to the Romanovs​

And the Royal Families are related, of course, although George V could be argued to have let them die:

How the British royal family is related to the Romanovs​

I thought you guys all knew the cousins were at war in WW 1.

The Empress was cousin to both King George V and The Kaiser. Its complicated to say the least.

Blackadder Goes Forth, General Hospital enters the conversation.

Back